PDA

View Full Version : OS Not booting with 4GB / Memory Remap

motioneso
10-17-09, 10:42 PM
So for the past few days I've been working on a very annoying problem with my system. This problem has been on going for a while now, but it wasn't until recently that I really wanted to fix it. I've done a lot of research, so there may be a lot of info in this post in hopes of someone being able to help. Here are my pertinent specs:

P5B Deluxe w/ E8500
2x2GB Corsair Memory (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184)
8800 GT KO

I recently installed Windows 7x64, so naturally I wanted to make use of my 2x2GB of Corsair GSkill RAM. I installed the RAM earlier this year as an upgrade in hopes of overclocking (I haven't done any yet.) I previously had 4x1GB of Kingston RAM, which experienced the same problem I'm about to describe. Upon booting, the BIOS only recognizes 3GB of RAM. So I go into the BIOS and enable Memory Remap and the BIOS now recognizes all 4GB. Great! The system begins to load Windows 7, get's near the end of the load (I'm assuming) and it locks up. If I let it sit there it will not go to a BSOD, nor will it restart, it just stays there frozen. Here is what I've tried so far in lines of troubleshooting:

Memtest found no errors in the memory
It boots with 4GB (only 3 usuable) if I remove Memory Remapping
It boots successfully into safemode with 4GB with Remapping enabled
It will boot all the way into Win 7 if I remove one module w/ remapping (boots fine with 2GB, either stick works)
I've tried manually entering the voltage (1.9) and timing (5-5-5-18)
I have the latest BIOS (1238)
I have updated all the drivers, device manager show no missing drivers.
This isn't a new issue. It did the same things with XP and Vista (both of those were only 32 bit though) And it also did it with the previous RAM I had installed

I think that's it for now. Hopefully someone here can be of some help!

shabby
10-18-09, 12:55 PM
I've had similar issues with getting 4 sticks to boot on the p5b deluxe before, had to raise the memory voltage to 2.25v even though the memory is rated at 1.9-2v.

motioneso
10-18-09, 02:24 PM
I'll keep upping it a little and hopefully will have some luck. I'll report back here, thanks!

motioneso
10-18-09, 03:03 PM
Upped it to 2.4, way higher than it should be, and still no luck...

I noticed when it hangs the HD stops responding (at least the HDD activity light goes out.)

Redeemed
10-18-09, 04:39 PM
Faulty mobo? More precisely, the chipset?

Also, I'm not too familiar with Windows7, but under Vista (pre-SP1) having 4GB+ required a specific hotfix. Anytime you'd boot into windows with 4GB+ and not have the hotfix, it'd BSOD. Boot into windows with anything less than 4GB, install hotfix, install remaining RAM- and problem solved.

Might there be something similar going on here? If not... I blame the chipset.

motioneso
10-18-09, 04:44 PM
That's kind of what I am suspecting. I was hoping that wouldn't be the issue as I'd like to not have to get a new board now, but that may be the only option...

Eliminator
10-18-09, 11:43 PM
im using a p5b deluxe with 4x1gb sticks without any problem... i have really crappy ram too which fails to work on most motherboards... its rated at 1000mhz but i have to run at 800mhz for it to be stable... also it only works properly with the timings set to auto... if i change the timings manually then the next time i try to boot it will not start... these sticks wont even work on certain other motherboards... gotta love ocz ram

grey_1
10-19-09, 08:32 AM
Just on the off chance it is a similar problem that pre SP1 vista had, install 7 with only 2 Gb installed. If it installs fine then add the other 2.

Worth a shot as nothing else is playing right.

Revs
11-03-09, 02:52 AM
Also, I've seen no mention of a BIOS reset. Have you reset the BIOS since you changed the memory?

EDIT: Wow, old thread :lol:

crainger
11-03-09, 03:27 AM
LOL

Bring back towelie!

Revs
11-03-09, 04:54 AM
The towel hath returned :D

XDanger
11-07-09, 05:27 PM
I installed 7 with the 4gb switch OFF as just by chance as I was using XP to juggle partitions previously

Turned it on when I realized it was off and its fine.

7 ran terribly with 2.9gb (or whatever) on my PC for some reason ????