PDA

View Full Version : Old School Gaming (sorta)

snowmanwithahat
10-17-09, 10:57 PM
So I'm stuck at home tonight with my desktop 50 miles away... with nothing but a netbook and the remains of my first gaming computer that was rebuilt into a computer for my sister ... she hosed the OS with crap and uses it for facebook (yay... dumb bitch) ... but I did make the agreement that I could use it as a backup pc whenever I wanted (reasonable times apply)... since she's 150 miles away I decided to fire it up and see what I could do...

I know it's not exactly old school gaming... but to me it's a classic... I downloaded Half Life 2 and started the campaign up for the first time in probably 5 years.

I'm pleased to announce that it handled that, and all the way up to Episode 2 (slightly slow... 30 fps lows) wonderfully. I was kind of surprised but then I remembed how much I had payed for it... it's good to see semi "vintage" hardware still pulling its weight after its had the crap beat out of it... makes me feel like I actually kind of got my money's worth.

Pentium 4 3.0c (ran at 3.4ghz until it found its home as a facebook pc)
2gb Kingston RAM
6800 GT (stock now... but ran at Ultra speeds all the way until it was retired to a facebook pc)

... I was QUITE surprised to see it handle things so well after hardly loading the OS in under 5 minutes... anyway, point of the post. What are some older, but fun games that I may have missed? I'm looking for stuff that this machine is more than capable of running and within the same time-period (2000-2004)... Far Cry, Doom 3, Half Life 2, Riddick, CoD 2, BF 2, NFS : MW .... those are all givens, anything fun that you've played lately that is a throw-back to days gone by?

Share your stories or suggestions.

(currently looking into painkiller for this machine... looks like some good serious sam style fps action)

bob saget
10-17-09, 11:42 PM
Doom 3 and Half life 3 were my fav games from that time. I also enjoyed Quake 4.

NarcissistZero
10-18-09, 01:05 AM
I suggest GOG.com for gaming on the go. Everything on that site runs perfect on the laptop we have for the most part, so when we go out of town or whatever I get to play Fallout 2 or Duke Nukem.

And yeah, Half-Life 2 is a classic... not sure how old I consider it, but it's "last gen," whatever that means.

jkmetal
10-18-09, 03:12 PM
Hmmm. Your sisters pc sounds just like my parents pc.

Vampire Bloodlines The masquerade runs great. Dreamfall the longest journey runs good. Silent Hill 2,3,4 all run good. Pyschonauts ran great. No one lives forever 1,2, GTR2, basically any adventure game you can think of, Braid. Hell, on static lighting stalker 1 was playable.

jkmetal
10-18-09, 03:26 PM
mistake