PDA

View Full Version : Brutal Legend

snowmanwithahat
10-18-09, 11:18 AM
Am I the only one who is VERY dissapointed that this is coming out for consoles only?

I know alot of you are "serious" gamers... but the game looks like it has alot of elements of WoW(scenary), Dynasty Warriors(combat), Ratchet and Clank(gameplay and world exploration) with a story that is no less than a full-onl Jack Black movie.

Not gonna lie... I've also been waiting for a LONG time to get a game that has a soundtrack made up of music that I actually want to listen to too.

|MaguS|
10-18-09, 11:24 AM
I got it on my PS3 and I really like it.

snowmanwithahat
10-18-09, 11:27 AM
My roomate owns an xbox 360... I unfortunately only own a PS2... I kind of want to avoid buying games for a system that I don't own because when he moves out in a year It'd really suck to lose access to that system...

I hear it's worth it though from alot of sources

NarcissistZero
10-18-09, 11:37 AM
Doesn't look like my thing at all, sadly.

jAkUp
10-18-09, 01:31 PM
Its from the creator of Psychonauts. It is a great game, and very funny.

About the PC version...

OMG! Upon which platforms will I be able I play this amazing game Brütal Legend?

The currently-announced platforms for Brütal Legend are the XBOX 360, and the PlayStation 3.

What? No PC version? I've always hated you, Double Fine! Now I know why.

Please, no hate. No one ever said there WASN'T going to be a PC version.

snowmanwithahat
10-18-09, 03:09 PM
... you just made me a very happy man jAkUp... I'm definetly going to hold out then on that $60 console version... *crosses fingers*

|MaguS|
10-18-09, 03:21 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/live-brutal-legend-interview-live-q-and-a

Gurrah asks: I'll keep it short: No PC version, why? I'm sad.
Tim Schafer: Well it's really an action game, that when you play it you'll see that it was meant to be on a console. My question is, 'Why all the hate for consoles?' If you hate consoles, that means you hate Katamari Damacy, Okami, ICO, and you are in fact a bad person. A bad person who should send all their hate mail to Eurogamer and not to me.

Super Moderating Hero: Cheeky! Will there ever be a PC version? Is there hope?
Tim Schafer: We are really focused on the Xbox 360 and PS3 version right now.

So while no denial of a PC version in the future, I wouldn't press your luck for one. The game would have to sell well on consoles for Double Fine to see a reason to port it to a riskier platform.

NarcissistZero
10-18-09, 04:07 PM
Or sell poorly on consoles and they make a quick port to PC to try and capitalize on Schafer's name and get some sales.

|MaguS|
10-18-09, 04:09 PM
Or sell poorly on consoles and they make a quick port to PC to try and capitalize on Schafer's name and get some sales.

Well if it sells poorly on consoles they wont have the funding to make a port, This is Double Fines first project. EA isn't funding the game...

NarcissistZero
10-18-09, 04:10 PM
Well if it sells poorly on consoles they wont have the funding to make a port, This is Double Fines first project. EA isn't funding the game...

Ah, I forgot it was a EA partners thing.

That sucks.

Nitz Walsh
10-19-09, 12:33 PM
Got it for the 360, played the hell out of it on Sunday. Amazing game, such style. This is a game that was truly made by people who loved what they were doing. I haven't lol'd this much in any videogame I've played, at least intentionally.

..and I'd easily pay for it again on the PC. 1080p at 60fps? This game deserves it, it's a work of art. A classic like this shouldn't be wed to limited hardware. Really sucks that it's not on the PC, every Tim S title should be. The control system is heavily geared towards a gamepad, but no reason really it couldn't incoporate mouse and keyboard, it just wouldn't be ideal. There are plenty of games on the PC that perform better with the gamepad, this would hardly be the first.

Come on EA...

WeReWoLf
10-19-09, 10:14 PM
Then EA/Double Fines should strike a deal with Microsoft and bring out a PC Game/360 pad bundle available for those that don't have one lol.

Crap shouldn't have said that, now they probably will.

skank
10-20-09, 02:58 AM
Got it for the 360, played the hell out of it on Sunday. Amazing game, such style. This is a game that was truly made by people who loved what they were doing. I haven't lol'd this much in any videogame I've played, at least intentionally.

..and I'd easily pay for it again on the PC. 1080p at 60fps? This game deserves it, it's a work of art. A classic like this shouldn't be wed to limited hardware. Really sucks that it's not on the PC, every Tim S title should be. The control system is heavily geared towards a gamepad, but no reason really it couldn't incoporate mouse and keyboard, it just wouldn't be ideal. There are plenty of games on the PC that perform better with the gamepad, this would hardly be the first.

Come on EA...

Why should they have to incorporate decent kb/m control? I never understand this about some PC gamers, they assume that a PC game has to be controlled with a kb/m. Joypads/gamepads are less than £20, NOTHING compared to the price of a gaming PC. If you are a serious PC gamer you should own a pad. As you say, plenty of games control better with a pad, you wouldn't play an FPS on a PC with a pad, so why play games obviously designed for a pad with kb/m? If a console game doesn't play well as a PC port with kb/m and it's obviously designed for a pad, that's not lazy developers, it's lazy gamers who can't be arsed to buy and learn to use a pad. Christ I never post here, just read and absorb pointless but amusing arguments, but something in me is getting to the point where I'm sick of people complaining about console ports controlling poorly on kb/m, when the pad is the better option. The only games that should really need a good kb/m control system are FPS/3rdPS and any game requiring point and click (RTS RPG etc). OK that's my post for this quarter done. As you were. :)

PS. I love Tim Shafer games, Psychonauts was so good, would love to see this on PC, if not I will get it for PS3.

crainger
10-20-09, 04:34 AM
Hope it comes to PC, but Schafer is one of my favorite devs so I'll probably buy console and PC once it comes.

Might replay Psychonuts too. ::bleh::

jolle
10-20-09, 08:39 AM
Why should they have to incorporate decent kb/m control?
IMO Psychonauts played easier with kb/m than with controller.
Atleast for me who isnt really used to controllers.

Nitz Walsh
10-20-09, 11:06 AM
Why should they have to incorporate decent kb/m control? I never understand this about some PC gamers, they assume that a PC game has to be controlled with a kb/m.
I don't understand it either, but that's the way a lot of PC gamers are. It doesn't matter if it's bloody SFIV, they'll whine and complain about "TEH CONTROLS!!!" and compain "WHY DO I HAVE TO BUY A CONTROLLER?!!" - yeah, adding a $30 item to your $600 PC to play entire genres of games far better, oh noes!

You've seen it here, I see it on other forums as well, and even from professional reviews (I can't recall how many reviewers blasted Prince of Persia: Sand of Time on the PC for poor controls, when it supported a gamepad and controlled as it was meant to). It's bloody idiotic, it's as if hooking up a controller turns your PC into a console. No, it's a PC - which is why you have so many options for controls and aren't limited by what the manufacturer thinks you should have. It's still a PC when it looks better, runs smoother, the controls can be remapped, and you can use mod/tweaks with it.

Changing a game to properly support mouse/keyboard can mean drastic changes for the engine, it's not a matter of just remapping viewport control to mouse. Many games which work better with the gamepad have an automatic camera, that's something that's not easy to swap out with a porting team.

It's idiotic. Unfortunately, Schafer seems to be one of those people:

Responding to questions from Eurogamer readers, Schafer says "Well it's really an action game, that when you play it you'll see that it was meant to be on a console"
Really, wtf Tim? :rolleyes:

LordJuanlo
10-20-09, 11:47 AM
You've seen it here, I see it on other forums as well, and even from professional reviews

If you have seen it in so many places (even professional reviews), have you actually stopped and think that is logical to support a proper control scheme, no matter the device you use for it?. I have a 360 gamepad and I use it in many PC games, but this doesn't exclude that the game should have decent keyboard / mouse support:

- Fully remappable keyboard controls
- Proper mouse invert options
- No reference to A, B, X, Y buttons in game when you aren't using a 360 controller
- Proper mouse aiming, no "floating, slow-motion feeling"

I find my 360 gamepad a perfect device for Prince of Persia or Tomb Raider, however I feel much more comfortable using keyboard and mouse in Resident Evil 5 and Dead Space. All of them are console ports, but they all offer keyboard / mouse support, so this support should be decent.

MowTin
10-21-09, 12:15 AM
Before Games for Windows PC game pads used to suck because there were so many of them and your pad sometimes didn't work properly with your game.

Now you just buy a 360 controller plug it in with any Games for Windows title and you're good to go.

I think it's great.

The m&kb is great for aiming but it sucks for walking around. The analog sticks on a gamepad allow you to move more naturally. On the keyboard you just have 2 speeds running or walking real slow.

I'm using a 360 pad for Fallout 3 because there is so much more walking than shooting. Every PC gamer should own a 360 pad.

NarcissistZero
10-21-09, 12:54 AM
^Agreed.

Except for Fallout 3, that's nuts ;)

CaptNKILL
10-21-09, 02:51 AM
The only game I've really used my 360 controller for was Braid and that worked really well. You could tell the game was designed or that controller.

Great game BTW. :thumbsup:

I kind of wish I had more games like this to use my 360 controller for. I do not use a controller for any 3D games. At all. If it has mouse support, I use a mouse. I pretty much just use a gamepad for racing games or games that don't require aiming or looking. I tried it with Batman and immediately switched to the mouse and keyboard.

NarcissistZero
10-21-09, 02:53 AM
Racing games, platform games... some 3D games. It really depends. I used it for Batman but did not for Assassin's Creed. It really varies.

crainger
10-21-09, 04:11 AM
Just do what fits best.

NarcissistZero
10-21-09, 10:35 AM
Just do what fits best.

Yup. Goes for women too.