PDA

View Full Version : Official IW Response to Dedicated Server Issue

Pages : [1] 2

Crow_Nest
10-20-09, 01:41 PM
http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2009/10/20/modern-warfare-2-dedicated-server-response.aspx

:thumbdwn:

See you guys in BFBC2!

delas52
10-20-09, 01:48 PM
Again and again during our conversation, West and Zampella hammer the point that hardcore PC players lose very little to this change relative to the returns that casual to moderate fans will see. Clans can set up private matches to do their training or what have you; all they lose is the ability to customize the game on a deeper level with mods and such. Infinity Ward sees the addition of solid matchmaking and community support like IW-run tournaments to the PC as a huge win, and not something that could be done under the old system.

might work out ok (like the sound of iw tournys). im still getting it

NarcissistZero
10-20-09, 01:54 PM
I find the hostile tone of that article to "nerds" and "PC fanboys" much more irritating than the game issue itself.

Anyway, sounds right, from my point of view... they are aiming to make the much larger casual player base happy, rather than the small niche area of hardcore clanners and such happy. The people he mentions who hate trying to figure out which server is not run by elitists with stupid mods is ME, I hate that crap and it turns me off multiplayer.

So... great for me.

I feel sorry for the hardcore though, this casual-izing happens in areas where I am hardcore, like RPGs, and it annoys me to no end. So I feel your pain, even if this is good news for me.

NarcissistZero
10-20-09, 02:03 PM
Wow, the comments from console gamers are so ignorant.

crainger
10-20-09, 02:05 PM
Little lame as now ISPs can't host their own speedy servers for customers and form a gaming community, which here in AU is the backbone for some. iiNet, Internode, Bigpong all have really strong gamer communities.

Still will have to see what happens when the game releases.

crainger
10-20-09, 02:07 PM

Both sides are just as funny

lol wow. Is that their answer? Explaining it? No solution? OK. Have it your way.

We're PC. We own the scene.

Let the boycott commence.

pc gamer has been spoiled. Console gamers has played cod 4 whit out dedicated servers and stuff and we are just fine

You can tell the PC gamers, they can spell and have proper grammar. ::p:

ATi
10-20-09, 02:24 PM
http://www.fourzerotwo.com/?p=745

|MaguS|
10-20-09, 02:30 PM
Little lame as now ISPs can't host their own speedy servers for customers and form a gaming community, which here in AU is the backbone for some. iiNet, Internode, Bigpong all have really strong gamer communities.

Still will have to see what happens when the game releases.

Maybe they will be able to.

K007
10-20-09, 02:45 PM
the iw tourny stuff is useless to anyone outside the USA.

its too bad iw didn't want to change anything, i was looking forward to mw2. time to look forward to bfbc2.

nekrosoft13
10-20-09, 02:49 PM

quite typical

NarcissistZero
10-20-09, 02:50 PM
Both sides are just as funny

I just means console guys are somewhat oblivious as to the benefits of dedicated servers.

nekrosoft13
10-20-09, 02:51 PM
saved me $50 bucks

Lfctony
10-20-09, 03:01 PM
So, they said it doesn't matter that the game is only six hours long for SP, since the MP experience will make up for it.

First one to spot the irony in the above post wins a dollar...

Yaboze
10-20-09, 03:15 PM
I feel the same way as NZ does...

Doesn't bother me too much, I play online once and a while. Many times I have popped on a CoD 4 server and I'm on map with people who play 24/7. I walk 3-4 steps and get sniped. The whole match goes by and I maybe kill 2-3 people. Not fun.

Each online multiplayer game, for me, take a while to master, you learn the maps, the moves, where this gun is or that item. When I would play Quake 3 I sucked but after playing it over and over I used to either win the map or be in the top 3.

I'd rather play with like-skilled people until I get better.

Bladestorm
10-20-09, 03:16 PM
saved me $60 bucks

Fixed.

Bman212121
10-20-09, 05:48 PM
Matchmaking & Smoother Gameplay: When you want to player a multiplayer game on PC, in the past. You’d have to scroll through a Server Browser which listed every available server which was hosted by individual server admins. Each had their own private rules, mods, or ways of playing the game. Most players would also use the server browser to find just the best quality game (based on PING). With IWNET matchmaking, it takes all that into account for you. All you have to do is select the playlist (pre-set gametypes with custom rules) that fits the style of play you are in the mood for. When you do, it will automatically find you a game with the best performance, ping, and preferences based on your location and individual connection as well as matching you with players of your same SKILL. So you’re always guaranteed the best game performance for where you are and what connection you’re playing on as well as an equal game with other players of your same skill level, not rank, but skill level. It doesn’t mean you’ll just be thrown into a random game! It will put you in the game that will give you the smoothest gameplay possible without you having to manually find a server with the best ping.

So my question to this is how can they not do that for a dedicated server? I don't care if noobs want to click a little button cause they can't figure out how to look through a server list, but removing the ability to create mods and dedicated servers removes the need for MP at all.

What's even better is that they probably won't have a way for anyone except the host to actually control the server. So whichever little 9 year olds game the server connects you to they will have full reign to kick anyone off their server who is better than them. The the quick join will just keep adding fresh players for them even though the gameplay is horrible. At least on a normal server only the admins have control. If you don't like their server you can just join another one. Also, what happens when you decide you like someones setup? If their not online too bad, you can't play on their server.

The more I think about it the more it pisses me off. :lol:

Armed_Baboon
10-20-09, 06:28 PM

totally. I normally only play through bigpond gamearena's COGS/ARENA software. (It's like crossfire but just for the ISPs own dedi servers)

now it will just be pot luck.

Even if IW host the servers, you should at least be able to see a list of servers and pick one to join.

my guess is someone will hack a server browser up pretty quick after release.

brownstone
10-20-09, 06:32 PM
I like finding a dedicated clan server to revisit cause even though I am not apart of their clan at least there would be players with 'kick' privileges to get rid of players hacking, messing around etc.

Now its probably just gonna be like L4D on a larger scale with you having your time wasted cause you are constantly exiting and rejoining other servers just to find a game with players with a similar style of playing. Also I hate joining a game and doing really well only for the screen to go black cause the host decides he wants to shut it down mid-game.

COJ BIB suffered cause it was all user created servers now MW2 has gone from what was great about PC gaming and tried to dumb it down so all people have to do is press a button.

Well I like to have options and not some randomized garbage way of pressing a single button cause its easier and quicker to start running around firing.

WeReWoLf
10-20-09, 10:09 PM
This sucks for many people in Australia, because playing on their ISP's dedicated servers means that the bandwidth used is unmetered. 30 Mb an hour of downloaded information adds up after a while.

Crow_Nest
10-20-09, 10:22 PM
I dont think i'll be getting this anymore. At least not until IW either gives us back our dedicated servers or can somehow prove me wrong that IWNet is in fact a major improvement. Then again even if it is i dont see how a gamer from singapore will be able to find decent servers online. People here dont care much about big name FPS games like CS, let alone CoD... As long as i dont have any good servers to play in, MW2 is more or less pointless for me.

The money i reserved for MW2 is now being reserved for BC2. :headexplode:

crainger
10-21-09, 02:02 AM
saved me $50 bucks

Would you buy it anyway? We all know how you felt about CoD4 ::D:

NarcissistZero
10-21-09, 02:14 AM
With singleplayer and coop modes you bet your ass I am paying $60 for it, consequences be damned.

The original was too awesome not to.

K007
10-21-09, 03:43 AM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/paradroid27/host_adv.jpg

:D

Crow_Nest
10-21-09, 06:11 AM
ryMd0vHYlb4&hl

ViN86
10-21-09, 10:33 AM
LOL they changed it because some ****ing noobs cried to IW about some servers having cheaters, some having rude clans (that's hilarious, practically all clans are filled with assholes, including the ones I have been in lol), and others being too good.

Are you serious? FIND ANOTHER SERVER THEN. Don't sit down and write to IW because you're too incompetent to find a different server and because you're too much of a pussy to take some **** from people online.

Wow, people need to ****ing grow a sack out there. This is getting absolutely ridiculous. :lol: