PDA

View Full Version : motherboard upgrade choice

rage10
10-20-09, 11:17 PM
My p7n diamond is giving me hell and Ive given up on it. Im looking at the asus rampage formula (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131284&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Motherboards+-+Intel-_-ASUS-_-13131284) which is: 208 plus S&H and tax
or the asus striker II formula (http://www.excaliberpc.com/584674/asus-striker-ii-formula-nvidia.html) which is: 229 plus S&H

My reasons not to get the striker is that I heard it only supports 887 MHz ram if I run 8 GBs and it only supports 4 GBs in sli mode (does any one know whether this is true or not?) and it only has 2 usb headers. there also seem to be alot of DOA cases, thats my main reson for ditching the diamond
My reasons to get it are that it supports sli and has the personalized bios screen.

My reasons not to get the rampage are that it doesn't support sli and I don't have plans for crossfire any time soon and it doest have the personalized bios screen option.
My reasons to get it are that its easier to OC on an Intel chipset then nvidia and that it has 3 usb headers on board.
And can I run one NV card for graphics and one for physics on a x48 chipset?

All input is appreciated,
thanks,
rage10

Revs
10-21-09, 06:10 PM
My S2F has been flawless, but you're right about the RAM in that you can't run 8Gb in SLI. SLI mode only works with two sticks. I don't know about the 887 thing, but I saw a performance drop-off at around that speed. My only beef with the board is that it really must active cooling on the NB, and they don't supply a fan, which on a board of this cost is just stupid. Oh, and they don't include the thermal sensors with the mobo like they did with the Striker Extreme, even though the connections are on the board and the options in the BIOS :mad:.

As for OCing ability it's very good. Had the FSB well over 500Mhz and stable, but I normally run at 400 for lower volts and temps all round. Had both an E8400 and now this quad running at 400x9(3.6) with spells at 450x9(4.05) with no probs. Although 450x9 requires the timings to be loosened, especially with 4 sticks. But even with loose timings Everest says the latency is about 65ns, which is good, and the memory bandwidth is 8-9000MB/s both ways (at 800Mhz) :cool:.

Another good thing about NVidia boards is you can set your FSB and RAM speeds almost totally seperately, which is rather handy.

Overall, infinitely better than the 680i chipset as far as stability goes, but still power hungry. It's currently running at 271w on idle :lol:

Rampage = no SLI = Uber fail. I'll never go back! :lol:

rage10
10-21-09, 06:24 PM
can I run one card for graphics and one for physics on the S2F and still utilize 8GBs of ram?
How about on the Rampage Formula?

Revs
10-21-09, 06:47 PM
Don't know about the 8Gb of RAM/PhysX card, but I can't see why not, unless there's a problem I'm not aware of. I've never have 8Gb to try :lol:. Although I've got 2 sticks of 2Gb OCZ SLI RAM on the way so I can try the 4Gb SLI thing again and run tighter timings. I could try 6Gb for ya next week if you want. That's with SLI and PhysX.

I've never used the Rampage. I had a P5K for about 2 weeks but I couldn't hack losing SLI. You also get alot of sensor info from NV boards that you don't get with the Intel's, which is good when you're OCing.

I forgot to mention, when running at 400x9 I just set everything to 'Auto' voltages exept the CPU vCore, which under load is 1.26v (1.3v in BIOS). The old 680i's needed loads more power to run well. The S2F sets them really well.

EDIT: There are 6 USB's on the back of the mobo, two more 9-pin connections on the board.

Revs
10-21-09, 07:07 PM
I've just realised there might be some confusion. In your OP are you talking about the SLI for the memory or the graphics cards?

rage10
10-21-09, 07:08 PM
ay. can you check the nv control panel to see if graphics+physics is under sli setting for me?
thanks.

Revs
10-23-09, 10:22 AM
ay. can you check the nv control panel to see if graphics+physics is under sli setting for me?
thanks.

aah. I was talking about the memory SLI mode, not the SLI for the gfx cards, lol. I'll be able to check with 6Gb next week for ya bud. It's on back-order ATM. If I forget just PM me or something.

DiscipleDOC
10-23-09, 10:30 AM
That Rampage mobo is a monster. I love my Rampage II Extreme! :thumbsup:

v3rninater
10-24-09, 01:24 AM
Dang Doc, I hear what your saying, but did you read the comments on Newegg about the Rampage II? WOW I wouldn't touch that board let alone put a $1000 proc in it.

I don't do Asus no more but Gigabyte is a different story for me. My .002 cents.

rage10
10-25-09, 06:40 PM
bought the rampage. in the end it came to a coin toss.:p

Revs
10-25-09, 08:05 PM
So what ya getting for gfx?? :D

Muppet
10-26-09, 02:30 AM
That Rampage mobo is a monster. I love my Rampage II Extreme! :thumbsup:

Hell yeah it is. One of the best overclocking and feature rich boards you can get.

DiscipleDOC
10-26-09, 08:53 AM
Dang Doc, I hear what your saying, but did you read the comments on Newegg about the Rampage II? WOW I wouldn't touch that board let alone put a $1000 proc in it.

I don't do Asus no more but Gigabyte is a different story for me. My .002 cents.

I've done nothing but ASUS for the last few years. I have only had one bad board from ASUS, and that's because I short-circuited it myself. :o

fasedww
10-26-09, 02:20 PM
They are the best motherboards.:D

rage10
10-26-09, 07:39 PM
So what ya getting for gfx?? :D

gonna keep my 8800 gtx for gfx and I have a 8400 gt for physics. I have a few other things that come before a new gfx card. (a dead mobo trumps all obviously) so my next gfx card Will probably be a dx 11 nv card of some kind. possibly a Fermi x2

Raptorman
10-28-09, 03:49 PM
I bought the EVGA X58 A1 and I've been very happy with it. It overclocks very nicely.

rage10
10-29-09, 10:28 PM
Mobo is up!! Ill OC tomorow.

I bought the EVGA X58 A1 and I've been very happy with it. It overclocks very nicely.

are there any x58s that you cant get a 30% OC on? evga did a nice job on there boards though. I used there x58 sli for a friend a few months ago. very nice board.
And your TalonFX site looks good.