PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Officially Out Now!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

mojoman0
10-22-09, 02:38 AM
Yippee! Just got emailed my link for the student copy I ordered for $30. It says that it an exe file that starts the install process but maybe that will just start an iso burner or something. I'll give it a go in the morning and hopefully find some time this weekend to put it on my desktop (already running w7 pro msdna on laptop). Congrats Microsoft!

K007
10-22-09, 03:27 AM
most likely be a downloader for the actual iso.

Redeemed
10-22-09, 04:27 AM
Should be receiving my copy of 7 Ultimate from Intel here shortly. Hoping it'll be today... but I'm expecting it no later than next week. Soon as it arrives, I get to start my i7 build. :D :D :D

K007
10-22-09, 04:31 AM
Will give the x64 a shot this weekend. Will be my first move to x64. Will be on my second HDD Tho..in case if i have problems ><

Ninjaman09
10-22-09, 08:09 AM
Referring to the downloadable package: Rather than an ISO, it's just a compressed install package. I have it "unloading" at the moment (it's decompressing the files and storing them in a folder on my hard drive). I moved them to a separate hard drive just in case. Seems like it's moving along pretty quickly. Not sure if it's OK to have it going to a different HD, I should find out shortly.

edit: Seems like it's the entire contents of a normal retail disk. Not in ISO format but it looks like you could just burn the files to a DVD easily, which is what I'm going to do now.

Revs
10-22-09, 08:34 AM
Will give the x64 a shot this weekend. Will be my first move to x64. Will be on my second HDD Tho..in case if i have problems ><

If you've got Ultimate you run problematic programs on XP (virtual PC thingy) from within 7. I've been running x64 for years now with no problems at all, although I know some programs have issues, but hardly any.

I'm installing Home Premium x64 tonight.

Ninjaman09
10-22-09, 09:30 AM
The DVD burn failed but I just installed it from the hard drive. Worked perfectly, took about an hour to totally clean up and reinstall drivers/basic utility software. Full installed size is 10.7 GB on disk, about half that of Vista - pretty nice. :D

mailman2
10-22-09, 09:43 AM
I'm so glad Vista can be put to rest now. From the worst OS ever to Windows 7, the best OS ever.

AMC_Duke
10-22-09, 09:57 AM
Just instaled my Windows 7 and love it no more crazy hard drive activitys out from no where !

The Downside i didnt know that the Games for windows Live game saves are stored on the C Drive so i lost all my Data that is the **** ! but thats not a Windows 7 Problem :-)

All in All well done Microsoft

Ninjaman09
10-22-09, 10:09 AM
What's surprising is that the "clean install" offered no option to format the hard drive, though fully installed the system has no fragmentation and tons of extra space...I'm really impressed so far, all drivers and software are working fine. Looking forward to learning the new UI features, this is my first time using Windows 7.

XP_GUN
10-22-09, 10:13 AM
Well I have a midterm today so I need to study up for it, But I do have a copy of Home Premium from Microsoft in the email now, I have Professional downloaded from my College and buying the Family Pack after class for my Media PC as well as my brothers computer and family pc. :D

XDanger
10-22-09, 10:18 AM
UPS tried to deliver but I was asleep :(

doddsy
10-22-09, 10:33 AM
UPS tried to deliver but I was asleep :(

:D

my upgrade to 7 is due to ship tomorrow. (nana2)

on the second day of a national postal strike...:headexplode:

mailman2
10-22-09, 10:54 AM
Oh and to ViN and Nekro. I told you we'd see it in 2009. I win :)

mojoman0
10-22-09, 11:16 AM
What's surprising is that the "clean install" offered no option to format the hard drive, though fully installed the system has no fragmentation and tons of extra space...I'm really impressed so far, all drivers and software are working fine. Looking forward to learning the new UI features, this is my first time using Windows 7.

So what exactly did a clean install do? Are all of your files gone? How would we install this copy down the road? Are we allowed to download it again or do we have to back it up somewhere?

nekrosoft13
10-22-09, 11:20 AM
been running the final RTM since july 14th

Odral
10-22-09, 11:23 AM
been running the final RTM since july 14th

+1. Newegg did ship my pre order of the Windows 7 Home Upgrade yesterday and should be here by Monday! I should have selected next day but oh well next week no biggie.

Ninjaman09
10-22-09, 11:26 AM
So what exactly did a clean install do? Are all of your files gone? How would we install this copy down the road? Are we allowed to download it again or do we have to back it up somewhere?

Not sure if the download is available forever, but you can back up the files you downloaded easily. It removes all program, user, and windows related files and moves them to a "windows.old" folder which you can delete at your discretion. As far as I can tell, it basically automatically cleans up your primary system disk. During installation, it will restart a few times and you'll see multiple boot options, but they're removed after completion.

nekrosoft13
10-22-09, 11:27 AM
Not sure if the download is available forever, but you can back up the files you downloaded easily. It removes all program, user, and windows related files and moves them to a "windows.old" folder which you can delete at your discretion. As far as I can tell, it basically automatically cleans up your primary system disk. During installation, it will restart a few times and you'll see multiple boot options, but they're removed after completion.

did you play any securom games? have fun deleting that folder (nana2)

Ninjaman09
10-22-09, 11:35 AM
did you play any securom games? have fun deleting that folder (nana2)

No kidding. I had to download a program called "DelInvFile" (which is a trial copy and only removes 3 files total) to get rid of the Securom files. It was fairly easy though. Google ftw!

Oh and mojoman to answer your other question about reinstallation - You can install it again but you do need an activated and installed copy of Windows XP or Vista (or possibly Windows 7) to do the installation. I don't know if the Vista Upgrade trick works or not.

I didn't format the partition or anything, and the installation was on the drive before it "cleaned" all of the old software off. You will have all files from your User and Program Files folders on the drive still after installation (though they will be stored in Windows.old). They can be easily removed though and as far as I can tell, the clean install worked perfectly fine.

mojoman0
10-22-09, 12:05 PM
hm I would like to just format my hd and do a clean install but I wonder if that would work. I wish this were an iso

Ninjaman09
10-22-09, 12:22 PM
hm I would like to just format my hd and do a clean install but I wonder if that would work. I wish this were an iso

Thing is, it's an upgrade version so you can't just install on a formatted drive. Honestly though there's nothing left on the drive from the old windows installation; formatting would really not accomplish anything.

mojoman0
10-22-09, 01:20 PM
Just booted up my laptop on RTM expecting a slew of W7 updates but none are to be seen. Considering they didn't release many updates since RTM release I was expecting quite a few more finishing touches to be added between RTM and public release but it seems this isn't the case. Maybe next patch tuesday.

nekrosoft13
10-22-09, 01:50 PM
yap, november 11 probably

you should have had few updates even now

like this for example, quite big important update
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=140090

Sazar
10-22-09, 01:52 PM
November should also see office 2010 available on MSDN as a beta :)