PDA

View Full Version : Shattered Horizon system requirements revealed - no dx9!

Toss3
10-23-09, 12:22 PM
No DirectX 9 and XP for this one

Futuremark Games Studio has revealed the system requirements for its upcoming zero-gravity FPS, Shattered Horizon. The game is DirectX 10 only, which means that those with DirectX 9 and Windows XP might want to switch to Vista or even Windows 7 before getting into some of that quite cool zero-gravity fun.

The "DirectX 10 only" isn't a big issue any more as Windows 7 is out and most gamers will probably go for it, sooner or later. The rest of the minimum requirements include at least Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 or AMD Athlon64 X2 5600+ CPU, Nvidia's 8800GT or ATI Radeon HD 3870 GPU, 2GB of system memory and 1.5GB of hard drive space.

The recommended requirements on the other hand jump to Intel's quad-core Q6600 or AMD Phenom II X4 940 for the CPU and Nvidia's GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 4870 for the GPU.

The requirements are decent and not quite as harsh as we expected. The average of minimum and recommended requirements are something that most gamers have today and it means that most gamers will be able to run it on average settings at least.

The game is still scheduled for 2009, presumably sometime before Christmas.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16106/1/

Hopefully more companies follow suit; it's time to ditch the 8 year old OS that is Windows XP. :thumbsup:

Serrasalmus
10-23-09, 01:05 PM
i love this game....

CaptNKILL
10-23-09, 01:29 PM
I played the beta once or twice and it ran really slow. I think it runs poorly due to mass amounts of parallax mapping or something like that... which honestly doesn't look all that great in this instance.

The controls of a zero-gravity first person shooter make it feel different than other shooters but the gameplay itself was about as basic as it gets (try to get to capture point... shoot people... die... repeat). I think there was only one gun in the beta too. I'm sure the final version will have far more content though.

That said, I don't think enough people have systems capable of playing this. The last thing they need to be doing is cutting off all of the XP users with decent systems. This may be a step in the right direction for computer gaming but since this game pretty much has zero hype at this point I don't think its a good idea to start pointing out who won't be able to play it before anyone even knows it exists.

newparad1gm
10-23-09, 02:19 PM
Does it control like the zero G level in Crysis?
I have doubts on how a benchmark developer will do on an actual GAME.
I mean, when people call games like DOOM 3 and Crysis nothing but glorified tech demos for their engine, I wonder how this will do.

CaptNKILL
10-23-09, 02:47 PM
Does it control like the zero G level in Crysis?
I have doubts on how a benchmark developer will do on an actual GAME.
I mean, when people call games like DOOM 3 and Crysis nothing but glorified tech demos for their engine, I wonder how this will do.

The zero G level in Crysis was fine in my opinion. It pretty much controlled just like the normal game except you could "walk" in any direction.

Shattered Horizon has a very different feel. You actually control your rotation and lock on to surfaces so you could be walking on a surface that is technically a ceiling. Its probably more realistic this way but it makes for some awkward shooting at times. With a bit of practice its probably fine but I honestly didn't get a chance to play this more than a few times and any time I played there weren't many players so it mostly consisted of me getting picked off from afar and respawning... over and over.

I'd definitely like to play a demo with more levels, more weapons and more players but the performance really put me off. It was actually impossible to use the scope on my rifle because this is one of those games where the performance takes a dive when you zoom in. If it wasn't for low frame rates and mouse lag I definitely would have played this more.

newparad1gm
10-23-09, 02:54 PM
The zero G level in Crysis was fine in my opinion. It pretty much controlled just like the normal game except you could "walk" in any direction.

Shattered Horizon has a very different feel. You actually control your rotation and lock on to surfaces so you could be walking on a surface that is technically a ceiling. Its probably more realistic this way but it makes for some awkward shooting at times. With a bit of practice its probably fine but I honestly didn't get a chance to play this more than a few times and any time I played there weren't many players so it mostly consisted of me getting picked off from afar and respawning... over and over.

I'd definitely like to play a demo with more levels, more weapons and more players but the performance really put me off. It was actually impossible to use the scope on my rifle because this is one of those games where the performance takes a dive when you zoom in. If it wasn't for low frame rates and mouse lag I definitely would have played this more.

I wasn't ripping on the zero G level in Crysis, I thought it was one of the cooler parts of the game.

From what you are describing though, it sounds more like the zero gravity parts of Dead Space, where you run can run along any surface and move between surfaces.

Serrasalmus
10-23-09, 09:24 PM
shoulda stayed capt.....shoulda stayed and played...

nutcrackr
10-23-09, 10:06 PM
these guys have the figures on dx10 adoption rate and yet they want to make a game that doesn't have dx9? Bad start guys.

Toss3
10-24-09, 04:27 AM
these guys have the figures on dx10 adoption rate and yet they want to make a game that doesn't have dx9? Bad start guys.

For once we have a developer that actually makes an effort in embracing new technology and you guys are complaining.. Why do you think the dx10 adoption rate is so low? Because people haven't yet had to move on from Windows XP! If more developers went this route people would start buying more graphics cards and windows vista would have sold much better.

When people have the option of being satisfied with what they have, spending 150$ on something that isn't required doesn't seem that tempting any more(at least for the average consumer).

Muppet
10-24-09, 06:14 AM
The zero gravity part sounds a little like the game Descent. Man that was awesome back in the day. Shows his age :o

Not sure about the DX10 only though. They will be cutting off a lot of potential sales out there.

Toss3
10-24-09, 06:45 AM
The zero gravity part sounds a little like the game Descent. Man that was awesome back in the day. Shows his age :o

Not sure about the DX10 only though. They will be cutting off a lot of potential sales out there.

Well, guessing this game wouldn't run too well on dx9 hardware in any case. I'd say most serious PC gamers have dx10 capable cards already. Supporting 7 year old hardware is not something that should even be considered when it comes to games imho. That's what consoles are for.

jlippo
10-24-09, 08:19 AM
I wouldn't wonder if the game would be DX11 only when it comes out, using SM4 and SM5.

CaptNKILL
10-24-09, 12:26 PM
For once we have a developer that actually makes an effort in embracing new technology and you guys are complaining.. Why do you think the dx10 adoption rate is so low? Because people haven't yet had to move on from Windows XP! If more developers went this route people would start buying more graphics cards and windows vista would have sold much better.

When people have the option of being satisfied with what they have, spending 150$ on something that isn't required doesn't seem that tempting any more(at least for the average consumer).

The problem is that the only games that are going DX10-only are the ones no one even knows about to begin with, so all they're doing is insuring that their sales will be terrible.

If CoD:MW 2 came out as DX10 only we'd see a massive sales increase for systems and graphics cards, but the sales for the game would probably still be cut in half for the PC.

For a game to go DX10 only without any hype or any kind of name brand to get attention, they're just adding their game to the list of reasons for a developer to not move on to newer APIs.

I honestly wish them the best, but I'd be very surprised if they could generate enough hype to sell this game well in just a couple of months. When I got an email telling me I was in the beta I couldn't even remember what game this was because I've never actually heard anything about it.

What we really need is one really high profile game to be released as DX10 only with DX11 support. Make it run smoothly on low\mid range DX10 cards to keep new buyers happy but make it scale all the way up to take advantage of the best GPUs. That would definitely help to get things moving in the right direction.

Toss3
10-24-09, 01:31 PM
Well a lot of people are using futuremark's online result browser so everyone familiar with either 3DMark or PCMark should have seen an ad for it already. :) Totally agree with you that they should try making this game run well on low- to midrange cards.

I applied for the beta too, but didn't get picked. :(

Serrasalmus
10-24-09, 03:05 PM
Well a lot of people are using futuremark's online result browser so everyone familiar with either 3DMark or PCMark should have seen an ad for it already. :) Totally agree with you that they should try making this game run well on low- to midrange cards.

I applied for the beta too, but didn't get picked. :(

this game runs great on any card that is dx10....it was optimized on low to mid range cards before high end cards anyway...so instead of all bashing it why dont you wait till it comes out first,play it then bash it if u must, instead of preaching about what you dont know....

xp is dying, if u dont have a system that can run dx10 or higher it just means your to stingy to upgrade and only bitch cuz your jealous...or u just dont want to so u can have something to bitch about...there is no reason to not be able to run dx 10 anymore, especially with windows 7 as good as it is....

Sean_W
10-24-09, 03:20 PM

Well, that's what you get when you build your graphics API around the OS(or visa-versa). A new graphics API version shouldn't mean a new OS.

If developers used OpenGL, we wouldn't have this problem since OpenGL is cross platform to any OS and doesn't require the OS to be upgraded, only the drivers or hardware.

Muppet
10-24-09, 03:55 PM
Well, guessing this game wouldn't run too well on dx9 hardware in any case. I'd say most serious PC gamers have dx10 capable cards already. Supporting 7 year old hardware is not something that should even be considered when it comes to games imho. That's what consoles are for.

I have no problems with them releasing it in DX10 only. It doesn't affect me at all. Just the majority are still using XP. So there is a lot of lost sales. I do agree we need to move in a forward direction.

HiCZoK4
10-24-09, 03:55 PM
Pc was always about going fast forward. We would still be with pixels if not Voodoo.
I am on win7 and not even thinking about changing back

CaptNKILL
10-24-09, 10:39 PM
this game runs great on any card that is dx10....it was optimized on low to mid range cards before high end cards anyway...so instead of all bashing it why dont you wait till it comes out first,play it then bash it if u must, instead of preaching about what you dont know....

Eh? The game runs like ass on a GTX 260. I was in the beta.

nutcrackr
10-25-09, 12:13 AM
I believe in forward direction without compromising the the fact that there are damn lot of gamers who are clueless about PC hardware. Would you rather have 2 very good looking games of average quality, or 20 ok looking games of average quality?

I love graphics as much as the next guy but the problem with pc gaming is that you have millions of PCs that are not capable of running more than half of the PC games this year. Consumers look at the PC market and avoid it because they can't be sure a game will work.

Essentially these guys are targeting their own audience, the futuremark crew, which I believe is a pretty big mistake.

take stalker for example, the game looks decent when you crank the details up. But hey, didn't they have like dx8 mode with static lighting, essentially opening the game up to a much broader audience. You can have good graphics and support lower end hardware (Far Cry, Half-Life 2). Restricting yourself to hardcore markets, (Vista only, Dx10 only) is silly. This game is coming out this year?

Honestly I don't know the budget, it may very well sell enough copies to surpass it. But I really doubt it will sell enough copies to make any big publishers show interest.

You have to also remember that people running the futuremark benchmarks are going to be the higher end systems, not average systems.

Serrasalmus
10-25-09, 12:16 AM
Eh? The game runs like ass on a GTX 260. I was in the beta.

when was the last time you played?

me was 45 mins ago

CaptNKILL
10-25-09, 12:38 AM
when was the last time you played?

me was 45 mins ago

I played about a week and a half ago.

If they did some major performance enhancements, then that's great.