PDA

View Full Version : windows 7 defragmenter

ATi
10-23-09, 02:34 PM
Is it any good?:confused:

Sazar
10-23-09, 02:36 PM
It's better than the one in XP and Vista.

Works fine for me.

|MaguS|
10-23-09, 02:38 PM
Windows 7 has a defragmenter? o_0

I just set it to do it every two weeks at 3am...

ATi
10-23-09, 02:41 PM
cool thanks I'm gonna defrag now!

Sean_W
10-23-09, 03:32 PM
Get a third partly one. It practically always says your file are not fragmented, yet a third party ones say otherwise.

ATi
10-23-09, 03:38 PM
Get a third partly one. It practically always says your file are not fragmented, yet a third party ones say otherwise.can you recommend one please:o

Johnny C
10-23-09, 04:35 PM
I still use contig.exe with the Power defragmenter GUI

Been using it for years

Sazar
10-23-09, 04:42 PM
Get a third partly one. It practically always says your file are not fragmented, yet a third party ones say otherwise.

Really?

It always does like 5 or 6 passes or something to clean things up. Seems to be a lot more useful than the previous versions.

I'll compare to some freebie 3'rd party items over the weekend maybe.

$n][pErMan
10-23-09, 04:54 PM
AusLogics Disk Defrag.... great program! :)

betterdan
10-23-09, 05:01 PM
I put Auslogics defrag on the laptop with Vista but the Windows 7 one seems fine to me so I'll just use it.

crainger
10-23-09, 05:14 PM
I bet Sean_W uses 3rd party Solitaire apps on his Windows machine...

Inbuilt one is good enough for gamers, other than that Auslogics is very nice vim.

Sean_W
10-23-09, 06:04 PM
I bet Sean_W uses 3rd party Solitaire apps on his Windows machine...

Inbuilt one is good enough for gamers, other than that Auslogics is very nice vim.

haha. My wife likes the Windows ones, in fact they're very nice. The Windows solitaire card games in Vista inspired me to make KDE games card decks better, to tell you the truth.

crainger
10-23-09, 06:12 PM
::lol::

Well how about that.

hokeyplyr48
10-23-09, 06:47 PM
well I hate to be a killjoy but from what I've read, even from this forum in fact, that you don't really need to degrag a NTFS system like you did a FAT32 system.

What do you guys think? Are you seeing even the slightest performance increase? To be honest I highly doubt it.

Sean_W
10-23-09, 06:52 PM
Really?

It always does like 5 or 6 passes or something to clean things up. Seems to be a lot more useful than the previous versions.

I'll compare to some freebie 3'rd party items over the weekend maybe.

Which one is right?

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/4474/defragment1.jpg

Sean_W
10-23-09, 06:54 PM
can you recommend one please:o

I use Piriform. See shot above.

Q
10-23-09, 06:54 PM
well I hate to be a killjoy but from what I've read, even from this forum in fact, that you don't really need to degrag a NTFS system like you did a FAT32 system.

What do you guys think? Are you seeing even the slightest performance increase? To be honest I highly doubt it.

NTFS is far better than FAT32, but its not perfect. Windows still splits files to fit wherever it can, so there are still fragmentation issues. The reason you don't notice fragmentation as much as you would have 10 years ago is due largely better hard drive technology.

K007
10-23-09, 09:11 PM
diskkeeper?

jeong
10-24-09, 12:19 PM
Some of the known programs are Auslogics', Defraggler and Diskeeper. Diskeeper's payable while the other 2 are free. Auslogics released a new version lately w/ an optimization option. Really up to your own taste if you ask me but all around great programs.

Shamrock
10-24-09, 09:29 PM
For pay programs, you can't beat PerfectDisk.

For free. I use Auslogics. But this Piriform looks pretty good

ATi
10-24-09, 09:37 PM
with Auslogics does the "optimization" really work?

do you guys use Auslogics BoostSpeed?

Atomizer
10-25-09, 05:05 AM
Yeah, ive tried diskeeper before, it used to be good but now they have this service running in the background that eats up resources, and disabling it in diskeeper still causes performance issues, had to uninstall it because I couldnt play games with it installed, even with that service disabled.

Oh, and I just installed Auslogics defragger, seems to work great, not sure what effect the optimization has exactly though, but at least it doesnt feel the need to have services running in the background eating cycles.