PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 gaming

Pages : [1] 2 3

Vanzagar
10-23-09, 03:08 PM
Anyone seen reviews on how games are performing under the released (not Beta's) version of Windows 7...

Also, please post your first impression and game compatibilities if you would... any games not running in Windows 7?

Any reasons to not upgrade from XP or Vista, other than the cost?

Thanks,

Vanz

HiCZoK4
10-23-09, 03:17 PM
I have RTM from last month which I am think is retail and its great. 64bit perform quite well. I think it works just as Xp and faster than vista

NarcissistZero
10-23-09, 03:27 PM
Benchmarks I have seen show no real difference. I'm not real big on looking up all the new ones though.

I got it simply because the OS part runs much better. Oh, and it was only $30.

Quick420
10-23-09, 04:29 PM
Benchmarks I have seen show no real difference. I'm not real big on looking up all the new ones though.

I got it simply because the OS part runs much better. Oh, and it was only $30.

I want a copy for $30 too,where'd ya score a deal like that? I've been eyeing up a copy of ultimate(or maybe pro)from tigerdirect here in Canukia but they arent listing a price yet.

NarcissistZero
10-23-09, 05:26 PM
Students get Pro for $30. Not sure about Ultimate.

crainger
10-23-09, 05:57 PM
I've been 7 gaming since RTM came out a few months back and it's the same as Vista.

a12ctic
10-23-09, 06:53 PM
Windows XP, Vista, and 7 all run games reasonably. You probably won't notice any difference between performance between the three. However, 7 has a lot of more desktop usability than XP or Vista have. Its definitely worth the upgrade in my opinion. Especially from XP.

Eliminator
10-23-09, 06:58 PM
I want a copy for $30 too,where'd ya score a deal like that? I've been eyeing up a copy of ultimate(or maybe pro)from tigerdirect here in Canukia but they arent listing a price yet.
saw it on tigerdirect
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/campaigns/campaigntemplate.asp?CampaignID=1101

i got a copy of pro for free through MSDN from my university... but to the OP there isnt any difference between beta and final RTM from what i noticed in gaming

nekrosoft13
10-23-09, 07:20 PM
I've been 7 gaming since RTM came out a few months back and it's the same as Vista.

game performance is same in vista and vista se

crainger
10-23-09, 07:56 PM
Don't be an ass.

JT8D-9A
10-24-09, 02:47 AM
Games are running like they did before but it's amazing that it just works, which is something you can't say very often about a MS product. Huge achievement.

snowmanwithahat
10-24-09, 02:57 AM

I've seen slightly better (in some games) than vista... not quite xp but better than vista...

With horsepower like most of us have though we'll never notice the 1 frame drop from xp to 7... if you have Vista though there's no reason not to upgrade... 7 is just all around more polished, definetly what Vista should have been from the start

Blade
10-24-09, 04:46 AM
game performance is same in vista and vista se

Performance for gaming in 7 is around 20% better than Vista & 5% up on XP, excellent operating system, still running beta here & very impressed overall.

K007
10-24-09, 05:02 AM
i saw no difference in fps wise for my games.

the overall performance tho is smoother. This could be due to the fact that a lot of the stuff from vista has been stripped.

sytaylor
10-24-09, 05:39 AM
This will be the first copy of Microsoft Software I've had to buy since I lost the MSDN licence *sad panda*

ViN86
10-24-09, 09:31 AM
Anyone seen reviews on how games are performing under the released (not Beta's) version of Windows 7...

Also, please post your first impression and game compatibilities if you would... any games not running in Windows 7?

Any reasons to not upgrade from XP or Vista, other than the cost?

Thanks,

Vanz

There have been gaming reviews of Windows 7 up for over 4 months now lol.

And again, THERE IS NO REASON TO NOT UPGRADE.

And cost wouldn't be an object if you pre-ordered a month ago when they were selling upgrades for $50. If you have a valid school email account you can still get Win 7 Pro for $30.

FlakMagnet
10-24-09, 10:41 AM
Also been gaming since release of RTM on MSDN. No problems whatsoever.

Games I have played in Windows 7 x64 without issues :

Left 4 Dead
Team Fortress 2
Unreal Tournament III
Call Of Duty : 4 & 5
ArmA 2
Wolfenstein
Resident Evil 5
Batman : Arkham Asylum
Crysis
Crysis : Warhead
Bioshock
Racedriver : GRiD
DiRT (needed to modify config to run on i7 - but not a Windows 7 issue)
FlatOut Ultimate Carnage
Need For Speed : SHIFT

jeong
10-24-09, 12:25 PM
Been using mine for over a month now across 2 machines. Performance in game has seen slight improvements over Vista. Not humongous and isn't really noticeable w/o a fps meter or unless you're one of the those sensitive types. Crysis Wars has improved by 3-4fps on average and my vent buddies have seen 5fps boost.

crainger
10-24-09, 04:43 PM

And again, THERE IS NO REASON TO NOT UPGRADE.

And cost wouldn't be an object if you pre-ordered a month ago when they were selling upgrades for $50. If you have a valid school email account you can still get Win 7 Pro for $30.

No, you don't realize ViN. The Windows 7 out now is vastly different to the Retail version release to MSDN and TechNet customers. This shelf version is SO much faster, and you weren't allowed to pre-order it for National Security reasons.

I believe it's called Windows 7 :Seeker Edition

nekrosoft13
10-24-09, 05:03 PM
Performance for gaming in 7 is around 20% better than Vista & 5% up on XP, excellent operating system, still running beta here & very impressed overall.

no, it's not

Vanzagar
10-24-09, 11:28 PM

lol, That's why I specifically referred to the "released" version, lol, get it... lol...

CaptNKILL
10-24-09, 11:38 PM
lol, That's why I specifically referred to the "released" version, lol, get it... lol...

lol, lol!
... lol...

:bleh:

MowTin
10-25-09, 03:15 AM
Why don't they just have one version? Home, Premium and Ultimate is confusing.

crainger
10-25-09, 04:20 AM
Because not everyone will pay for the higher end features for stuff they wont need. Don't you think it's better to have choice then to not have it at all? Or is this choice all just an illusion, ergo vis a vis concordantly we are all just slaves to the giant budgie in the sky?

sytaylor
10-25-09, 06:39 AM
I really miss my MSDN licence.

Are there any good (UK based) offers going? It all looks pretty expensive having just paid 1300 for a car service and with Christmas coming.