PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Hard Drive for Gaming?...

Pages : [1] 2 3

$n][pErMan
10-23-09, 04:59 PM
Anyone have any recomendations on hard drives from gaming and just normal operational use? Before I get Windows 7 I might as well put it on a new hard drive as I am in the market for one anyway... the faster the better! :) Recomendations for both SSD and standard plater hard drives are welcome. I have been toying with the idea of SSD for the almost instant load times... but are plater drives still more reliable and better for gaming?

Eliminator
10-23-09, 05:11 PM
personally i wouldnt waste money on raptors or SSD just for gaming.... WD black drivers perform really well and are affordable... just fyi theres an issue with WD black and the P5B deluxe... the drive wont get detected on the first boot so you have to turn on the pc and then after a few seconds press ctrl-alt-del to restart it else the drive wont get detected

Toss3
10-23-09, 05:13 PM
[pErMan;2110117']Anyone have any recomendations on hard drives from gaming and just normal operational use? Before I get Windows 7 I might as well put it on a new hard drive as I am in the market for one anyway... the faster the better! :) Recomendations for both SSD and standard plater hard drives are welcome. I have been toying with the idea of SSD for the almost instant load times... but are plater drives still more reliable and better for gaming?

SSDs are much better for games. Intel SSDs are relatively cheap and give you very good performance for the money. :)

CaptNKILL
10-23-09, 05:32 PM
SSDs are much better for games. Intel SSDs are relatively cheap and give you very good performance for the money. :)

I don't think "cheap" and "for the money" should ever appear in the same post as Intel SSDs... or any SSDs for that matter. :o

The performance is amazing... for sure... but it comes at an absurd price.

A 160Gb Intel SSD costs $600. :lol:

a12ctic
10-23-09, 06:07 PM
I recently got a Samsung F3, it has 500GB platters. Its been pretty fast so far. I haven't benchmarked it, but it loads things noticeably faster than my last drives so I'm happy. Hopefully this will be my last platter drive.

jAkUp
10-23-09, 07:08 PM
OCZ Vertex SSD's are reasonably priced and excellent performers.

$n][pErMan
10-23-09, 07:26 PM
Are the fast load times and hype really worth the price for SSD's? $600 for a 160GB is pretty much laughable! I have a few WD Black drives right now on my P5B and have no issues... is this something with the brand new ones? My1TB WD Black is used as a backup drive and it ran and always runs on the first boot. Anyone know of some good benchmarks? Anyone here actually using SSD's and gaming? My only concern is space for games. I can backup files all day on my plater drives and have no issues with that... my only problem is that an SSD may not hold all the games I want to play. It seems like SSD's might be out dated so quickly with bigger and faster ones almost over night where as plater drives are dirt cheap and don't seem to be out done so quickly.

Keatah
10-23-09, 07:46 PM
SSD's are a *NEW* technology and *NEW* way of doing things. Trust me when I say they are not there for the casual consumer. Sure go ahead and spend a ton of money. But I would just get a caviar black or something. And set yourself up a ramdisk, ram is dirt cheap and you can image 4 or 5 gb of data right to it upon bootup. Like your current favorite game. That will outperform *ANY* ssd by far.

bob saget
10-23-09, 09:06 PM
WD Black

/thread.

Yaboze
10-23-09, 11:17 PM
Yeah, just got a WD Black, very nice. It rated higher than some Raptors in W7 Index. Not that means anything.

$n][pErMan
10-23-09, 11:45 PM
Any particular WD Black model in general perform better? Or will any WD Black in the size I want perform just the same?

Lazaredz
10-24-09, 01:55 AM
Well, since this is allready here ....

I'm considering the same. I allready have a 75GB Raptor as my OS/game install drive (I dont play a ton of differnt games at one time).

I was wondering IF I decide to go SSD, should it only have the OS on it and pagefile with games on the Raptor as a secondary drive? Or should my current games go on the SSD too?

Also thinking of getting and SSD to replace my laptop HD (its a gaming rig also .... 7950). Will W7-64 be a winner for it?

Sorry if these are newb questions but bluntly, I havent been in the scene much lately .... I just dont have the time anymore. :(

Thx in advance!

bob saget
10-24-09, 03:16 AM
[pErMan;2110305']Any particular WD Black model in general perform better? Or will any WD Black in the size I want perform just the same?

I cant guarantee anything, but I was going to go for the 1 terabyte, but they didnt have it so I went for this one instead, the 640 gig.
Everything loads very fast, and computer boots quick.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

XDanger
10-24-09, 04:35 AM
1tb WD Blacks striped are faster than striped Velociraptors in gaming.

Revs
10-24-09, 06:52 AM
SSD all the way. Very happy with the Falcon, but as jAkUp says, the OCZ Vertex is a good buy, along with the newer Samsungs and the Corsairs. Prices seem very reasonable when you see the difference it makes. As I've said before, not many upgrades give you such a performance upgrade for the cash. Just make sure you disable all the SuperFetch, Defrag, ReadyBoost and other HD abusing stuff. Also move the PageFile to another drive.

... but are plater drives still more reliable and better for gaming?

Better? No. More reliable? Time will tell :p

lee63
10-24-09, 07:24 AM
SSD all the way. Very happy with the Falcon, but as jAkUp says, the OCZ Vertex is a good buy, along with the newer Samsungs and the Corsairs. Prices seem very reasonable when you see the difference it makes. As I've said before, not many upgrades give you such a performance upgrade for the cash. Just make sure you disable all the SuperFetch, Defrag, ReadyBoost and other HD abusing stuff. Also move the PageFile to another drive.

Better? No. More reliable? Time will tell :pSSDs seem the way to go now...I'm looking for a 120GB for under or around $400...I just cant make up my mind which one to get :headexplode:

mullet
10-24-09, 08:18 AM
If I ever get a new drive it will be a SSD for sure.

lee63
10-24-09, 09:10 AM
Hows about his one http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B002HQ9RZE/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance :D

ViN86
10-24-09, 09:44 AM
[pErMan;2110305']Any particular WD Black model in general perform better? Or will any WD Black in the size I want perform just the same?

I'd get a 640GB Black or a 1TB Black drive. Best bang for your buck imo.

FWIW, I will not get a SSD drive until they cost the same as their rotating counterparts. The price doesn't justify the cost imo, not with respect to storage at least.

lee63
10-24-09, 11:59 AM
Ok...who has the fastest 80gb???? I can only find Intel...are they the only one that makes them ?

lee63
10-24-09, 12:16 PM
There aint nothing cheap about these things lol :headexplode:

lee63
10-24-09, 01:24 PM
It's much better now actually. The 160GB Intel disks cost now the same as the 80GB G1 earlier this year. So the second time around I got twice the capacity for the same amount of money! What a difference a few months can make ;)

If you're thinking about buying an SSD -> can't go wrong with Intel. Still the best around :)

But the Intels are out of stock and a 160gb is $600 :headexplode:

EDIT: I found some 80GB on ebay for around $295

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4504/sddb.png (http://img527.imageshack.us/i/sddb.png/)

$n][pErMan
10-24-09, 02:30 PM
Damit... I can't decide... lol. I can't get Windows 7 untill I do.... I don't want to wipe my stable Vista 64-Bit as it has been running solid for almost 2 years. Like to have it intact incase Win 7 has any issues with gaming :p So far WD Black is in the lead for me... but today some of you are making a strong push for SSD.

lee63
10-24-09, 02:42 PM
Its all the way SSD for me :captnkill: just gotta make up my mind.

lee63
10-24-09, 02:56 PM
Those things are worth it though. Best upgrade for almost any computer.
Then Ill prolly get the Intel 80Gb:)