PDA

View Full Version : Love the themes. "Bing" theme is a must

Viventis
10-24-09, 04:41 PM
I have already created a couple of themes using pictures of my children for the backgrounds. But I must say that the Bing's Best theme (right click...personalize...get more themes online) is just stunning! Twenty beautiful and varied background pictures.

RaidenWoW
10-25-09, 01:13 PM
I concur. Bing theme is cool.

nekrosoft13
10-25-09, 01:28 PM
windows 7 themes are... pathetic. all they do is just change color and add wallpapers, some might add new sounds.

community used to make better themes for xp and vista, themes that actually looked different from the original.

here is one example
http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs50/i/2009/270/4/5/Gaia09_VS_for_Seven_2_by_jg_visuals.png

crainger
10-25-09, 01:59 PM
What's bing? I don't have it. ::(: Also is there a way to unlock ALL the local themes, for example I have Australia, while I'm sure you guys have America or the like.

EDIT: I found bing, helps if I readed the first poster betterer. ::p:

nekrosoft13
10-25-09, 02:02 PM
What's bing? I don't have it. ::(: Also is there a way to unlock ALL the local themes, for example I have Australia, while I'm sure you guys have America or the like.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/personalize

get all official themes

and bing is MS replacement for Live search

betterdan
10-25-09, 03:03 PM
I wish it would let you see the theme before you install it. I downloaded and installed Bing and while not bad it ain't that great. I can't uninstall it now. ah well.

nekrosoft13
10-25-09, 03:10 PM
theme is here
C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

and wallpaper for theme are there

C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper

just delete them

betterdan
10-25-09, 03:17 PM
theme is here
C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

and wallpaper for theme are there

C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper

just delete them

Nope I already checked there. Those are the locations for the default Windows themes. I found the location for Bing and my saved theme I made by doing a search for "bing" on the computer. Any themes you install or make are in the following location...
C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s\Themes
From there you can delete the themes.

betterdan
10-25-09, 03:43 PM

EDIT: I found bing, helps if I readed the first poster betterer. ::p:

I found the different country themes.

First you have to unhide protected operating system files and also check the box to show hidden files folders and drives then navigate here...
C:\Windows\Globalization\MCT (you won't be able to see the MCT folder if you don't unhide the things I mentioned first)

In there you will see different folders for Australia, United States, Canada, United Kingdom and South Africa. Just open each folder then open the theme folder inside each one and double click the theme file and it will install the theme and list it in the display control panel.

Viventis
10-25-09, 04:07 PM
windows 7 themes are... pathetic. all they do is just change color and add wallpapers, some might add new sounds.

community used to make better themes for xp and vista, themes that actually looked different from the original.

here is one example
http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs50/i/2009/270/4/5/Gaia09_VS_for_Seven_2_by_jg_visuals.png
I understand the difference. I have been a Stardock subscriber for 5 years. I really like the ability to change backgrounds after a selected time interval. That is something that Windowblinds does not allow yet.

Redeemed
10-25-09, 05:43 PM
This seemed the most appropriate thread for this question...

DreamScene. I recall this actually being an advertised feature if Vista Ultimate, but see no mention of it for Windows 7. Does any version of 7 include DreamScene? Does it go by a different name now?

I have next to no experience with 7, though my copy should be arriving shortly (7-Ultimate). Well, by shortly I'm figuring some time this week. :o :lol: Just curious if this feature is still available. I love having video for my desktop background. :)

nekrosoft13
10-25-09, 06:02 PM
dreamscene has been removed

Redeemed
10-25-09, 06:24 PM
dreamscene has been removed
What? Even from Ultimate? That's pure BS. I don't see why they would have removed it.

So, is there an alternative I can use?

Dr.Nick
10-25-09, 10:21 PM
I think stardock deskscapes works with 7. Tho I've always hated the whole video backround thing

Sazar
10-25-09, 10:24 PM
What? Even from Ultimate? That's pure BS. I don't see why they would have removed it.

So, is there an alternative I can use?

I think it should still be available with Vista Ultimate as it was part of the package.

Not with Windows 7 though.

ATi
10-25-09, 10:27 PM
why do you guys like the bing theme ?

nekrosoft13
10-25-09, 10:28 PM
there are ways to install/add dreamscene to win7.

Redeemed
10-26-09, 02:23 AM
there are ways to install/add dreamscene to win7.

Really? Does MS offer it as a separate download? Or will it show up as a "Windows Ultimate Extra" in Windows Update?

nekrosoft13
10-26-09, 02:47 AM
Really? Does MS offer it as a separate download? Or will it show up as a "Windows Ultimate Extra" in Windows Update?

nothing official, it involves copying vista files to win7, and running few commands to register dll files

betterdan
10-26-09, 09:32 AM
why do you guys like the bing theme ?

That's what I'm wondering.

Yaboze
10-26-09, 04:31 PM
I have W7 Ultimate, Dreamscene is gone. Some of those were cool.

The Bing theme is OK, it's just a bunch of wallpapers that were popular in Bing search I guess. Just sunsets and stuff.

The Japanese lake one is nice.

I usually get my wallpapers from www.interfacelift.com