PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Security

Logical
10-25-09, 05:11 PM
I know there are quite a few 'which security suite is better' threads, but with the new versions from the top companys being released and mine running out soon (im currently running Trend Micro 2009 internet security), i was thinking what are peoples views on the newest popular security suites.

I have used Trend Micro for the last 2 years and think i would like to try something else. As im running Windows 7 is it worth me getting a security suite or would an antivirus be sufficient enough running alongside windows defender and windows firewall ?

ATM im leaning towards Kaspersky IS 2010, reason being is that in past windows the windows firewall hasn't been too brilliant and im a little dubious to test it myself. Also take into consideration that my rig is used mostly to play games.

Redeemed
10-25-09, 05:19 PM
For the longest time I used nothing as I was using 64-bit Vista. But with more and more systems using 64-bit OS's I'm afraid it's time to start using security software again.

Currently I'm using Norton 360- but only because I got it free from work. It seems to work rather well, doesn't bog my system down and doesn't seem to interfere with anything I do. So naturally, I'll recommend it. Though, honestly, I don't have a lot of experience with alternative software. I've been rather fond of Trend Micro for some time, and if I were to go out and buy something it'd probably be them.

I'd say you'd be happy with either- Norton 360 or Trend Micro Internet Security. Either way, I'd go for the full suite. I'm not sure I trust Windows Defender nor the Windows Firewall all that much.

ATi
10-25-09, 05:25 PM
Microsoft Security Essentials

hokeyplyr48
10-25-09, 05:32 PM
I use common sense, seems to work 99% of the time. If it doesn't, format reinstall up and running in 30 minutes.

Revs
10-25-09, 06:00 PM
Avira free AV & Windows firewall.

Redeemed
10-25-09, 06:03 PM
Avira free AV & Windows firewall.

FYI- free AV is free for a reason. ;)

Revs
10-25-09, 06:13 PM
It's just as good as AV you pay for, dude. It's just the previous version as a rule. I paid for BitDefender for years, but after installing Avira it actually some infections BD had missed. I am meaning to look for a better firewall though. Just not got round to it.

top3koms
10-25-09, 06:47 PM
Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials

Redeemed
10-25-09, 06:53 PM
It's just as good as AV you pay for, dude. It's just the previous version as a rule. I paid for BitDefender for years, but after installing Avira it actually some infections BD had missed. I am meaning to look for a better firewall though. Just not got round to it.

And paying customers get updates sooner than the ones using the free version. So you're right to a degree... same as the one you pay for... only you're last to receive updates.

Though, honestly, if you use common sense when browsing then you're probably fine with just using a free utility that you trust and Windows Firewall. As I said before- only reason I'm using Norton 360 is cause it was free for me.

j0j081
10-25-09, 07:12 PM
Microsoft Security Essentials

ditto, actually caught something Norton missed on my 64 bit system.

betterdan
10-25-09, 07:18 PM
Windows Firewall and Avira AV has worked great for me for years so no need to change with Windows 7. I have Windows Defender running but I really don't trust it all that much for spyware. My common sense has kept me safe from spyware so far but if I had to run something I would download Malwarebytes Anti Malware and maybe Adaware.

Serrasalmus
10-25-09, 10:21 PM
windows firewall and Microsoft security essentials also...

Dr.Nick
10-25-09, 10:24 PM
I use NIS 2010 but I might switch to MS Essentials once it expires. It seems to work well from what I've seen in XP Mode

nekrosoft13
10-25-09, 10:27 PM
endpoint, still have license from old work

but now planning to check out forefront.

Sazar
10-25-09, 10:50 PM
ditto, actually caught something Norton missed on my 64 bit system.

+1

Giving it a go, till I hear something bad about it.

Revs
10-26-09, 08:45 AM
So, any suggestions for a easy to use, free, firewall??

Logical
10-26-09, 10:30 AM
I installed Kaspersky 2010 IS trial last night. I must say im quite impressed with the suite and its low usage of resources. Games seemed to run smoother and not 'bog' as much as when i was using Trend Micro.

I will test it for a couple of more days and if im still impressed with it ill go for it.

:)

Dr.Nick
10-26-09, 10:36 AM
So, any suggestions for a easy to use, free, firewall??

Windows 7 firewall is pretty good and I have switched over to it. I also use Windows 7 Firewall Control to make things easy. The free version is all you need (http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html)

I actually removed NIS 2010 last night and switched to Forefront. After a little mishap with install it is working quite well and other than it looking like Defender I'm impressed.

Also thanks to Necro for the heads up on it as I was able to find it on MSDN:) Just make sure to install with the Run command if anyone is going to on 7. I had to use X:\CLIENT\X64\CLIENTSETUP.EXE /NOMOM

ViN86
10-26-09, 10:59 AM
I use Windows Firewall (actually has a very nice rule-based interface) and Microsoft Security Essentials (freeware) from MS.