PDA

View Full Version : Ti 4600 vmod

ToXiCRaiN
06-28-03, 10:26 AM
I just threw on a stock Athlon cooler on my Gainward Ti 4600 card, using Arctic Alumina. Apparently it didn't help my core oc at all, it still maxes out at around 325, anything higher stutters. Now I am pretty sure the card is limited by voltage, so I started searching google for volt mod info. I found a page saying I needed a pot, ohm, and soldering iron.

Is using these tools the only way to volt mod a Ti 4600 video card? Is there an easier or simpler way, because I've never used a soldering iron, nor do I own one :/ I do have a radio shack nearby, that might have pots and some of the other items needed. But I feel like the process is a little complicated because it involves measuring voltage with a multimeter on the v-mem and v-gpu, and then doing a formula to find the correct resistance on the ohm or something.

Bleh I just wanna add more volts to my card, what should I do?

CaptNKILL
06-28-03, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by ToXiCRaiN
I just threw on a stock Athlon cooler on my Gainward Ti 4600 card, using Arctic Alumina. Apparently it didn't help my core oc at all, it still maxes out at around 325, anything higher stutters. Now I am pretty sure the card is limited by voltage, so I started searching google for volt mod info. I found a page saying I needed a pot, ohm, and soldering iron.

Is using these tools the only way to volt mod a Ti 4600 video card? Is there an easier or simpler way, because I've never used a soldering iron, nor do I own one :/ I do have a radio shack nearby, that might have pots and some of the other items needed. But I feel like the process is a little complicated because it involves measuring voltage with a multimeter on the v-mem and v-gpu, and then doing a formula to find the correct resistance on the ohm or something.

Bleh I just wanna add more volts to my card, what should I do?

Ive never volt modded anything myself, but I recommend that you find someone who can show you how to do it, and either have them do it while you watch, or have them guide you through it. All it takes is one little mistake and you could lose that card. The farthest ive ever gone with modding is adding my own HS\F with arctic silver! Its just too risky considering how little you get out of it usually.

ragejg
06-28-03, 12:40 PM
Theres the same voltage controllers of almost all modern video cards... made by Semtek.

Go to x-bit labs and search for geforce 3 extreme overclocking. You'd be doing the same thing with your GF4... Heck even the same thing if you have a R9500/9700...

I've volt modded... with limited success...

...btw did you lap your core AND the athlon cooler?

gokickrocks
06-28-03, 01:42 PM
i vmod everything i get my hands on (well, except for this msi board, it has enough voltage)...

you will need to learn how to solder or get someone else who does (you can also use smd grabbers, but for this vmod, its actually easier to solder) its not difficult as long as you dont have a fat tip on it...

you will need the following parts (excluding soldering iron and solder) before you get started...
5k VR
1k VR

and now on to the vmod, courtesy of macci...
vgpu (http://www.solidhardware.com/macci/gf4/gf4_vgpu.jpg)
vmem (http://www.solidhardware.com/macci/gf4/gf4_vmem.jpg)
voltage measurements (http://www.solidhardware.com/macci/gf4/gf4_voltages.jpg)