PDA

View Full Version : Netflix announces upcoming PS3 streaming service

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
10-26-09, 12:52 PM
For those who are unaware, Netflix is a great service for renting movies over the Internet, saving the time and hassle of visiting the video store. The service is available for computers, Microsoft's Xbox 360, and as announced today, the Sony PS3, which will be compatible starting next month.

In a press release posted earlier, Netflix revealed the news, stating that the service will be available at no extra cost for those already subscribed. According to the press release, "watching movies instantly streamed from Netflix via the PS3 system will be enabled by a free, instant streaming Blu-ray disc that is being made available to all Netflix members." Of course, you'll need to be connected to the Internet on your PS3 for this to be possible.

If you'd like to sign up to receive Netflix notifications about the service and request a free instant streaming Blu-Ray disc, feel free to check out the official website to do so.
http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/10/26/netflix-announces-upcoming-ps3-streaming-service

mizzer
10-26-09, 01:42 PM
Uh oh. Microshank just lost a Gold subscriber. I'll get Netflix through my PS3 for free. :D

ViN86
10-26-09, 01:43 PM
Awesome. Just requested to be notified :D

crainger
10-27-09, 03:53 AM
Ahsome. Moving to the US right now. Think I'll move in with Velvet.

Bman212121
10-27-09, 11:25 AM
Definitely interested. Have to wait and see what the quality is like.

tornadog
10-27-09, 11:40 AM
Instant Karma!!My gold subscription ends next month...:)

ViN86
10-27-09, 12:17 PM
Definitely interested. Have to wait and see what the quality is like.

Why would streaming quality be worse than on 360? To be honest, it's not very good on the 360. Also, PS3 has a much better scaler.

At the end of the day though, the source resolution will determine overall quality.

Albo
10-27-09, 10:51 PM
YES!!!
My Dreams come true. Do you guys know (xbox360 owners, with netflix) if you can stream Blu Ray quality, or is DVD quality only?

nekrosoft13
10-28-09, 12:05 AM
YES!!!
My Dreams come true. Do you guys know (xbox360 owners, with netflix) if you can stream Blu Ray quality, or is DVD quality only?

you can never (with current internet) stream true blu-ray quality

ViN86
10-28-09, 02:03 AM
you can never (with current internet) stream true blu-ray quality

You can if you're connection is 100 Mbit :bleh:

(I only say that cause I get about 95 Mbit down lol)

nekrosoft13
10-28-09, 02:35 AM
You can if you're connection is 100 Mbit :bleh:

(I only say that cause I get about 95 Mbit down lol)

sustained for about 2 hours? and where the hell do you live?

even if you could download at 95Mbit, netflix doesn't have the capacity to send out blu-ray quality

NarcissistZero
10-28-09, 02:55 AM
Ahsome. Moving to the US right now. Think I'll move in with Velvet.

k.

crainger
10-28-09, 05:21 AM

even if you could download at 95Mbit, netflix doesn't have the capacity to send out blu-ray quality

He lives next door to the internet.

ViN86
10-28-09, 11:44 AM

Yes, sustained lol. It's a school connection.

Love my school connection, heh :cool:

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/6223/speede.jpg (http://img159.imageshack.us/i/speede.jpg/)

And I know, it's not like Netflix supports it or has that capacity. That'd cost them an arm and a leg to offer that. :lol:

Bman212121
10-28-09, 11:47 PM
Why would streaming quality be worse than on 360? To be honest, it's not very good on the 360. Also, PS3 has a much better scaler.

At the end of the day though, the source resolution will determine overall quality.

Who said anything about the 360? I've never even see a movie streamed from it so I couldn't tell you what it looks like. I haven't even seen netflix streamed to a pc so I really don't know what it's going to look like.

Bman212121
10-28-09, 11:49 PM

Yea he can probably sustain that at like 2am. Somehow I'm guessing once the other 1000 users jump on the connection I don't see him keeping that much bandwidth to himself.

1337_Like_ThaT
10-29-09, 03:49 PM
Cant wait for this- just placed mine on reserve :)

ViN86
10-29-09, 03:51 PM
Who said anything about the 360? I've never even see a movie streamed from it so I couldn't tell you what it looks like. I haven't even seen netflix streamed to a pc so I really don't know what it's going to look like.

Well usually statements about how good the quality is when it's already offered in two other formats results in a comparison...

That being said, if Sony uses their scaler to its full potential, the PS3 may have much better video quality than the 360.

Aside, I can't stand watching DVD's on the 360, the scaler is so ****ty compared to the PS3.

Albo
11-10-09, 07:29 AM
It's out now!!!
GET THEM WHILE THEY LAST!!!

ViN86
11-10-09, 08:24 AM
Aww you beat me to albo lol.

Yup it's out now, just ordered mine :D

Tyr-Sog
11-10-09, 10:47 AM
He lives next door to the internet.

http://napsterization.org/stories/archives/SPinternet.jpg

ViN86
11-11-09, 10:33 PM
Anyone get their disc yet? Mine's coming Friday.

Ghosthunter
11-11-09, 11:38 PM
Anyone get their disc yet? Mine's coming Friday.

I got mine last week

It works pretty good but quality of videos are probably SD quality not as good as DVD, but hey it not bad with all the choices out there and selections when you have nothing to do, it beats watching on my computer LCD which is nowhere as big as my 50 inch Plasma TV

Also it does not always play a video in widescreen when it should, other then that I am pretty happy with the interface

ViN86
11-12-09, 07:48 AM
I got mine last week

It works pretty good but quality of videos are probably SD quality not as good as DVD, but hey it not bad with all the choices out there and selections when you have nothing to do, it beats watching on my computer LCD which is nowhere as big as my 50 inch Plasma TV

Also it does not always play a video in widescreen when it should, other then that I am pretty happy with the interface

Have you tried adjusting the scaling? On 360 you can view the native picture or scale it to full, stretch, etc.

Ghosthunter
11-12-09, 03:20 PM
Have you tried adjusting the scaling? On 360 you can view the native picture or scale it to full, stretch, etc.

i am not sure where you can do that?