PDA

View Full Version : Bios Flashing Failed on P5A Mobo

johnkeel105
10-27-09, 11:54 PM
I was working on an old pc and attemped to flash the bios with Asus bios update software. Well needless to say this did not work as planned. I updated the bios but it could not verify EEPROM. The bios that was still in place was the original.

Now the PC will not boot. It will power on but there is no bios screen, no beeps nada, the cpu fan just spins. I am thinking I screwed this machine for good. I hope someone here knows something about bios flashing for this classic AMD board. Any help would be appriciated.

AthlonXP1800
10-28-09, 07:19 AM
*facepalm*

Oh dear you are screwed!!!

Socket 7 ASUS P5A was an ancient board that was not designed to use Asus BIOS Update software. You should read the manual to find out what method the P5A update the BIOS, it use AFLASH for DOS to update the BIOS.

Heinz68
10-28-09, 08:48 AM
Bios update failed, here are some options.
Grains BIOS Repair (http://bios-repair.co.uk/bios/bsrecover.htm)

johnkeel105
10-28-09, 09:43 AM
Well I think this is one of those occasions where I should have downloaded the manual and made sure I did it right. It would have been nice if the Asus software would have just not allowed the update to be done... I was going to turn this into a box running windows 98 that would play all my old games...

AthlonXP1800
10-28-09, 09:20 PM
Bios update failed, here are some options.
Grains BIOS Repair (http://bios-repair.co.uk/bios/bsrecover.htm)

Grains dont do Socket 7, Super Socket 7 and Slot A, they deal with AM3, AM2+, AM2, 939, 754 and Socket A.

Rakeesh
10-29-09, 02:22 AM
Well I think this is one of those occasions where I should have downloaded the manual and made sure I did it right. It would have been nice if the Asus software would have just not allowed the update to be done... I was going to turn this into a box running windows 98 that would play all my old games...

If the cmos chip is socketed you could always pull it off and re-flash it with a willem programmer or something similar. If it isn't socketed you'd need some skills in SMD reworking. I've done this before using chipquik on a PLCC32 chip on a few tivos I've hacked before, it's easier than it looks, and if you are in the habit of tinkering with computer parts on the hardware level all of the stuff you need can be had for around $75.