The Baron
06-28-03, 11:59 PM
JuiceZ might be there--we should get him to write something! :D

Clay
06-29-03, 12:01 AM
Yeah, drop him an e-mail. :POKE: :)

bloc
06-29-03, 01:25 AM
Things like this happen all the time. As this is a private event sponsored by many companies, those in the media who have paid a remuneration should be given precedence by the managers of MML2.

Refer to the last olympics. I remember how NBC restricted all visual media that other networks could broadcast. It was absolutely silly, but under the rule of law, completely legal.

Other networks were able to state medals and times, some went as far as reenacting the figure skating competition with camera men taking the place of the actual skaters.

If MML2 gave THG the authority to limit media to the event, then you blame it on MML2. Only fractionally on THG. They are a business and do things in order to make money.

eg. MS vs the public. I think MS are *****s for what they do, but spineless judges and lawyers are a large part of the problem. They continue to side in favour or microsoft and their unfair competitive practices.

As for the freedom of the press and all the people who will bring this up, AMDMB and all the other mags are free to attend and report their findings.

MML2 are also allowed to hire security and toss your *** out -> I believe this event is privately funded and owned.

Might we have a computer nerd equivalent of the paparazzi?

Simmer down and tell hardocp to stop spazzing. It's not bad for the industry, it's just better for those who know how to work it.

Anyways most of the online mags need the tech companies, where as tech companies have hundreds of biatches to choose from.

I'm on the fence on whether if this is ethical or not. I just don't think it deserves the **** hitting fan attention it's getting.
b.

PsychoSy
06-29-03, 06:53 AM
I've got something for them to "work" at, alright. :mad:

vampireuk
06-29-03, 07:42 AM
*scratches Tomshardware off my list*

No more news posts for them from me now:mad:

erwos
06-29-03, 08:52 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I hardly see how it's "unethical" for THG to try to monopolize visual reporting of an event. This happens all the time in sports and awards events. Why should it be any different for the MML2?

THG scooped AMDMB big time, and now AMDMB is crying to anyone who'll listen about the unfairness of it all. They should accept that they missed the boat, and work harder next time.

-Erwos

Jovi
06-29-03, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by erwos
Maybe it's just me, but I hardly see how it's "unethical" for THG to try to monopolize visual reporting of an event. This happens all the time in sports and awards events. Why should it be any different for the MML2?

THG scooped AMDMB big time, and now AMDMB is crying to anyone who'll listen about the unfairness of it all. They should accept that they missed the boat, and work harder next time.

-Erwos

I can see how a company can give a scoop to a news outlet of a new upcoming product and such, but a public event is a tad different. Sad to say the least.

erwos
06-29-03, 09:20 AM
How exactly is this a public event? I was under the impression it was a private event sponsored by these companies.

-Erwos

Clay
06-29-03, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by bloc
...Simmer down and tell hardocp to stop spazzing. It's not bad for the industry, it's just better for those who know how to work it.
...I'm on the fence on whether if this is ethical or not. I just don't think it deserves the **** hitting fan attention it's getting.
b.

I don't recall be worked up much (if at all about this) so "simmer down" doesn't really apply to me. Perhaps it does apply to the author of the article, Ryan Shrout.

You make some good points and my choice of headline may not have been perfect. However, my comments were completely unbiased and implied that we don't have all the facts. Also, this may not be unprecedented but accounts like this are not frequent AFAIK.

Again, good points and thanks for chiming in.

gordon151
06-29-03, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by erwos
How exactly is this a public event? I was under the impression it was a private event sponsored by these companies.

-Erwos

Uh, its a public event in the fact that it's open to the public? I can walk up in there now. Dunno why Ryan needs permission to take pics, I'd just walk up in there and take as many pics as I wanted. I'd run if someone spotted me though, hrm.

Pafet
06-29-03, 02:35 PM
me going to check THG now :D

digitalwanderer
06-29-03, 02:52 PM
...Zardon posted a bit on DH where he talked to another guy who went to MML2 to cover it and report on it and he sounds like he was treated most righteously by MML2, THG, & AMD contrary to what Ryan is saying. :confused:

I'm waiting for more details to see if this is an incident or a pattern.

Clay
06-29-03, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
...I'm waiting for more details to see if this is an incident or a pattern.

Man, if more people did that this would be a better world. Most people are so quick with the *knee-jerk* reactions. I suppose my headline may have made me appear that way but I just used the cliche to get attention. So yes, more details on this topic are in order.

zerodamage
06-29-03, 04:11 PM
Well what was posted up at DH didn't say anything about whether this person could post what he saw about the Athlon64 or anything of the sort. Maybe he is best buddies with the THG guy, who knows. But this type of stuff really urks me for some reason.

CurtMan
06-29-03, 10:52 PM
Sounds like "whine whine whine" to me.

CybrSage
06-30-03, 12:15 AM
I have found that most tigers cannot change their stripes. Well, OK, no tigers can change their stripes, but you get the intent. :)

I stopped going to THG when I noticed their reviews did not reflect what many other sites showed. It was not that they found something no one else did, they were just not right.

Same thing for the [H]. I do go there, but only for the linkage. Their reviews are 'suspect'.

I think so many people are quick to hange THG is due to their past handling of things. Sort of what would happen if a rumor that Bill Clinton were fooling around on his wife again...his past behavior would stain his present chances of a fair dealing.

Just my thoughts...

CybrSage

poursoul
06-30-03, 10:22 AM
what's with so many people making this thread their first post?

people with a lot to say but don't want to be seen?

CybrSage
06-30-03, 12:23 PM
Guess it just goes to show how important people think this issue is. Many, many more people lurk than post (thank God, if they all posted it would be too much!). Either they are all coming here from other sites to ensure their view gets out, or they are lurkers who have finally found something they feel is worth commenting on.

For me, I only comment when I think it is worthy of the time I spend typing...

frenchy2k1
06-30-03, 02:09 PM
THG has posted a reply:

their reply (http://www.tomshardware.com/technews/20030630_012924.html)

The Baron
06-30-03, 02:22 PM
That's a real jackass way to reply to it.. heh.

PsychoSy
06-30-03, 02:51 PM
It's official - Omid Rahmat is nothing more than some fly-by-night, milquetoast "journalist" that, when his and his company's intergrity is seriously questioned, he can only respond with prebubescent flaming and flatulence. I see a bright carreer at Fox News in his future. :)

saturnotaku
06-30-03, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by PsychoSy
It's official - Omid Rahmat is nothing more than some fly-by-night, milquetoast "journalist" that, when his and his company's intergrity is seriously questioned, he can only respond with prebubescent flaming and flatulence. I see a bright carreer at Fox News in his future. :)

Man I've been going about my journalism career all wrong. All I need to do is follow Mr. Rahmat's lead. Screw honesty, integrity and (God forbid) fairness in reporting. I've only been doing it that way for a year and have received nothing but praise from my editors and readers. I can change, just like that! :p

reever2
06-30-03, 04:09 PM
THG is going to sue them for libel

CybrSage
06-30-03, 04:57 PM
First, I have to give a BIG Kudo to Kyle and the [H]. They are letting AMDMB use the lawyer they keep on retainer to fight THG. I think THG figured on AMDMB folding and removing their article, since he cannot afford to go to court. But now, with a lawyer at his disposal, he will certainly win.

Why will he win? Simple. It does not matter if he is telling the truth or it is a complete lie. Two rulings in 2002 by US Federal Courts stated a person who feels there were libeled in one US State cannot sue a person who hosts their questionable material in another US State unless they can prove the material was Aimed or Directed at the residents of the state wherein the person who feels libeled resides. SO, unless both parties live in the same state, those two cases move for dismissal (which is what the judges did in both cases).

The other case is VERY recent, from June 24, 2003:

http://news.com.com/2110-1028_3-1020706.html?tag=cdshrt

"Web site and mailing list operators cannot be held responsible for libelous or defamatory comments they republish, a federal appeals court ruled on Tuesday. The decision by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals gives a strong boost to Internet publishers who the court said are immunized from most defamation lawsuits by the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

The case dealt with Ton Cremers, who edits the Museum Security mailing list and who was sued for libel after he republished e-mail alleging that a California resident owned artwork stolen from the Jews during the Holocaust. A majority of the panel concluded that Cremers' newsletter qualified for the Telecommunications Act's liability exemption for "interactive computer services," which other courts previously applied to Internet service providers. "

It appears AMDMB has all but won without even trying...too bad THG do not listen to the news or do research prior to doing things...hey! That is like their reviews! LOL