PDA

View Full Version : USB 3.0 and SATA 6G put to good use: benchmarks

nekrosoft13
10-31-09, 12:47 AM
The fine folks at both HotHardware and PC Perspective have run the new ASUS P7P55D-E Premium motherboard through its paces, which has the particular distinction of handling both USB 3.0 and the up-and-coming SATA 6G through controllers by NEC and Marvell, respectively. Lucky for us, both sites' tests came to similar conclusions. The Seagate Barracuda XT SATA 6G drive has almost zero improvement over SATA 3G, other than in some burst speeds due to the fancy cache on the 6G -- the bottleneck here is the drive, not the controller. Meanwhile, USB 3.0 has speeds that are roughly 5 to 6 times faster than USB 2.0 with the same drive, a huge win for fans of external storage the world over. Perhaps even better news is that an ASUS US36 controller card with USB 3.0 and SATA 6G support is a mere $30, so this stuff is already basically within reach to the average desktop user.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/31/usb-3-0-and-sata-6g-put-to-good-use-benchmarks/

Viral
10-31-09, 03:16 AM
Shame intel are holding this technology back from motherboards. I'm starting to think it's because they want to release it when it's most beneficial to them ie, when they release their G3 SSD's. On that note, it should be obvious to everyone that SSD's are the only thing that will make proper use of SATA 6Gb/s. There are a couple of situations where current SSD's could benefit from the new standard, new models and internal raid drives should see big improvements.

FlashNValor
11-06-09, 08:53 AM
The advances in these fields are really exciting, can't wait for USB 3.0. And the next FireWire is supposed to have 6.4 G, is this true? Anyone know when it will come out?

XDanger
11-13-09, 02:22 PM
The add-on cards are good news for my old mobo.

I may have to upgrade just my phone now (for usb 3.0)