PDA

View Full Version : Family awarded $16.5 million for wrongful death in 'Hold Your Wee for a Wii' contest

nekrosoft13
10-31-09, 01:52 AM
Way back in January of 2007, we reported on the Strange family, who were suing Sacramento radio station KDND-FM for the wrongful death of Jennifer Strange, who was found dead in her home after competing in a contest to try to win a Nintendo Wii. The contest -- "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" -- involved seeing who could drink the most water without urinating, and Jennifer, who did not win, left the studio and later died. Her autopsy later showed signs of water intoxication. Yesterday, a California jury ruled a wrongful death in the case, and ordered Entercom Sacramento LLC, a subsidiary of Philadelphia-based Entercom Communications Corp., to pay $16.5 million dollars to her family as a result of the actions of the radio station's employees.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/30/family-awarded-16-5-million-for-wrongful-death-in-hold-your-wi/

Albo
10-31-09, 10:03 AM
I remember when this story came on the air. That was horrible, I am glad her family is getting some money for her stupid mistake...

MowTin
10-31-09, 03:50 PM
That's why you have lawyers look over your contests for possible liability issues. Also you have contestants sign a waver.

But these people are really stupid. Water intoxication is well known. Don't they ever read?

Also if it's known that holding you urine can damage your blader. Anyone with a preexisting blader condition could have participated in that contest and then blamed them.

Destroy
10-31-09, 04:57 PM
Dumb on all sorts of levels.

ViN86
10-31-09, 06:01 PM
Anyone stupid enough to attempt this contest deserves no money imo.

crainger
10-31-09, 09:39 PM
Tygerwoody needs to be shown this thread.

Tygerwoody
11-02-09, 09:40 AM
Tygerwoody needs to be shown this thread.

I was waiting for this.

This woman tortured herself. Of course she put herself in danger and is a dumb ass.

Ninjaman09
11-02-09, 10:00 AM
Actually, there is no such thing as water intoxication guyz. Also obviously the woman deserved to die, lulz.

ViN86
11-02-09, 04:37 PM
Actually, there is no such thing as water intoxication guyz. Also obviously the woman deserved to die, lulz.

lol wut

XDanger
11-02-09, 06:31 PM
When your kidneys start floating to the top they dont work so well I think?

methimpikehoses
11-02-09, 06:46 PM
Well hopefully the family spends the $16.5 million on a smarter replacement.

TheANIMAL
11-02-09, 07:59 PM
Water intoxication is not widely known for some bizzare reason. Stupidity is to be pitied, she did not deserve to die.

bob saget
11-02-09, 08:18 PM
Dumb on all sorts of levels.

yea. totally dumb.

TheANIMAL
11-02-09, 08:29 PM
+1

I'm pretty sure I didn't even learn about it until I was 20 in a college biology class. And I think ignorance would be a more accurate term for this situation ^_^

I agree that ignorance would be more accurate if it weren't for the fact that the young woman would have had to of put her self through quite alot of discomfort and pain to drink that much.

From the little that i know, water intoxication is not a pleasant way to die.

Crow_Nest
11-03-09, 11:33 AM
The strange family is strange indeed...

ViN86
11-03-09, 04:11 PM
I agree that ignorance would be more accurate if it weren't for the fact that the young woman would have had to of put her self through quite alot of discomfort and pain to drink that much.

From the little that i know, water intoxication is not a pleasant way to die.

Probably not considering cells rupture and electrolytes are forced out of your body, including the nervous system.

And to think, all they had to do was provide electrolytes with the water and she'd still be alive...

XDanger
11-05-09, 05:35 PM
And to think, all they had to do was provide electrolytes with the water and she'd still be alive...

Electrolytes are in short supply ,But we got em!