PDA

View Full Version : Change 8400GS to a 8500GT

JoeT
11-01-09, 03:56 PM
I am running windows XP pro. My video card is a GeForce 8400GS. I can get a GeForce 8500GT which is a little bit faster and has more memory than my card for free.

My question is, since they both use the same drivers, can I just swap them without doing anything else?

If not what would I have to do?

Thanks

Joe

Redeemed
11-01-09, 04:31 PM
Theoretically that should work just fine. nVidia's drivers are, for the most part, universal. However, if you do experience any issues, just be sure to DL the latest drivers from nVidia's website, uninstall your old ones, restart, and install the new ones.

JoeT
11-02-09, 03:10 PM
Theoretically that should work just fine. nVidia's drivers are, for the most part, universal. However, if you do experience any issues, just be sure to DL the latest drivers from nVidia's website, uninstall your old ones, restart, and install the new ones.

So then when I replace the 8400 with the 8500 and boot up I will not get the found new hardware theme?

Redeemed
11-02-09, 03:54 PM
So then when I replace the 8400 with the 8500 and boot up I will not get the found new hardware theme?

You might, but just let it run it's course. Should be near automatic. If you're prompted to restart, do so.

But as far as having to remove the old driver, dl a new one, install that, and then restart- no you shouldn't need to.

JoeT
12-09-09, 01:15 PM
Finally changed the boards. The 8400 had 512mb and the 8500 has 1gig memory.

When I booted up I got the new hardware found, clicked on the x so the notice would go away. Everything seemed the same. When I shut down and turn the computer on the next day, the screen came up in 800x600 display and I had to reset it to 1024x768, which is what I use. No problems since. Left in old drivers etc. If I wanted to update drivers I would go to remove software or to manage hardware and say I want to install new driver?

Also under passmark performance test the computer went from a 15.9 to 23.9 in the graphics 3d complex test and best of all it was free.

Joe