View Full Version : Roy

Roy
11-05-09, 09:38 AM
Advice needed - I wish to upgrade my Nvidia 8600GS graphic card
My system is Packard Bell, Intel(R) Core 2 Duo CPU
E6550 @ 2.33Ghz
2046 MB Ram
Direct X10

The power supply is rated at 250 watts and the 9600/9800 and GTX's are all 550 watts +
is there an alternative to having to replace the power supply.

The only game I use is Microsoft Flight simulator X.

Your help would be gratefully appreciated. By the way this is a great site, a wealth of knowledge.

Roy

Revs
11-05-09, 10:01 AM

Not really, dude :o. It would be a good idea to swap it anyhow. I personally wouldn't want to run a nice new GPU on an old cheap-o PSU. If you choose wisely it'll last you a good while, too.

If your motherboard will allow it you should overclock that CPU. FSX need as much CPU power as you can give it and that E6550 should OC to 3.6Ghz easy.

Welcome :)

EDIT: Just realised your CPU has a 7x multiplier, so 3.6Ghz would be impossible, but at 400Mhz FSB you'll get 2.8Ghz :).

Like the title BTW :lol:

methimpikehoses
11-05-09, 10:12 AM
Roy

Q
11-05-09, 10:16 AM
Roy

I was going to post that but decided against it. We are alike. And it scares me.

Also, I don't have good news for you Roy. You are kinda stuck. You would benefit from a higher end card, but you also need a new PSU to match. Since you're running an Packard Bell (it always surprises me when I hear that name, since I'm in the US), there may be some proprietary connections or at least non-standard layout that could make both upgrades difficult. If you are serious about the flight sim, and other PC games that could interest you, you should start considering building a system from scratch. A quad core would greatly benefit you in flight sims.

XDanger
11-05-09, 04:02 PM

Yes

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Power/ToughPower/w0157/w0157.asp

You can bypass the motherboard connection incase its proprietary (they wire them funny so it will blow up your PC if you use a standard PSU)
It just means you have to switch it on and off yourself instead of the PC sending the signal.

If you were in the UK I could sell you my old 250w model, Runs an 8800gt fine.

FSX loves a quadcore btw

Bman212121
11-05-09, 09:13 PM
Not really, dude :o. It would be a good idea to swap it anyhow. I personally wouldn't want to run a nice new GPU on an old cheap-o PSU. If you choose wisely it'll last you a good while, too.

If your motherboard will allow it you should overclock that CPU. FSX need as much CPU power as you can give it and that E6550 should OC to 3.6Ghz easy.

Welcome :)

EDIT: Just realised your CPU has a 7x multiplier, so 3.6Ghz would be impossible, but at 400Mhz FSB you'll get 2.8Ghz :).

Like the title BTW :lol:

I don't think any OEM pcs will let you OC them. I can't say as I've seen one.

For a GPU you should be able to get away with an ATI HD4670. It doesn't require auxiliary power at all so it will be able to run on a 250W PSU. The card draws about 60W.

I really like the HIS IceQ if you have an extra slot to fit the card in. The dual slot cooler runs much quieter and cooler than the single slot versions.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5071788&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

The card itself is comparable to a 9600GT but uses less power. Should be a pretty healthy upgrade from an 8600GS.