PDA

View Full Version : Is digital vibrance (DV) ok with max aniso filtering?

raystone57
06-29-03, 05:44 PM
Edit: also forgot to ask it for the 5200 up so I do so below.

I really want to see 3d games on the 5900 with aniso filtering (AF) up all the way. Since I get games for the looks it's very important. I can't afford the card and and another pc for it right now but that may change by end of the year. No way will I swap Nvidia and Ati cards in one machine, too much hassle. My Radeon 9700 pro is fine but all I can do is ask you guys until I get the dough for a 5900. Just wondered if DV interferes with AF on a 5900. I heard you can adjust DV so that there's no over saturation of colors, like a lower setting. Does that setting cloud or wash out in any way the details in textures of AF? Sorry if it sounds like a naive question or if it's already been discussed. Same question for your 5200 - 5800's too.

EDIT: ok forgot to ask if you even need DV to boost colors.

Raystone

deejaya
06-29-03, 07:08 PM
There's a lot of threads here about DV.

You can't actually lower DV, but you can add it to bring colours to life more, have a look here (http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=feature_dvc) to see some images with DV on and off. It will not affect AF in any way shape or form, its purely for richer colours. You don't need it really, but there are lots of reasons why you may like to add a little bit.

StealthHawk
06-29-03, 08:41 PM
Maximum(8x) AF on a gfFX5900 looks the same as maximum AF on any nvidia card since the gf3. Specifically, GeForce3, GeForce3Ti, GeForce4Ti, GeForceFX, all look the same with maximum quality in regards to AF. So if you have any of those cards, you can see what it looks like yourself :)

Granted, the gfFX5900 will have much, much higher performance, but you were only concerned about IQ.