PDA

View Full Version : Recent memory prices?

snowmanwithahat
11-08-09, 06:21 PM
Does anyone know why there was such a dramatic increase (huge) in memory prices?

... I'm looking at an 8gb OCZ gold 2x4 (8gb) kit on newegg that was selling for $80 a year ago... $200+ now.

What's going on with the market to cause this? I haven't heard any real news on it other than a few warning articles saying it was going to happen.

candle_86
11-08-09, 06:59 PM
market, not as many people buying these days with the whole world in recession, so to keep profit they have to raise cost. Once we leave the recession prices should start falling again. I kinda miss 2gb for 25bucks

CaptNKILL
11-08-09, 08:48 PM
Yeah the prices are terrible right now.

They're easily double what they were a year ago.

Mr Bigman
11-08-09, 10:49 PM
I noticed that on newegg a week ago when buy cheap ram for clients.

crainger
11-09-09, 12:27 AM
Not another earthquake in Taiwan? Memory always doubles when that happens.

musman
11-09-09, 10:03 AM
When I built my system about 5 months ago I purchased OCZ Platinum 6Gb 3x2 1600 speed RAM for $95 it's $179 (give or take a few$$) on newegg now. I was going to buy another set until I seen the price.

frenchy2k1
11-09-09, 01:37 PM
Actually, this was the opposite: price were really low a year ago and they are just coming back to where they should have been. A conjunction of over supply (they built too much of it), recession (demand was weak) and stronger dollar at the time made for very low price. Most manufacturers needed the cash and sold even at a loss just to get rid of their inventory.

Since late summer, the inventory declined, demand picked up for back to school season and win7 and the dollar has weakened compared to other currencies. This increased the price considerably.

Also, DDR2 and DDR3 are now close to parity, so no cheap escape either.

Mr Bigman
11-09-09, 03:00 PM
That blows.

I stocked up on ram awhile ago and even the good stuff too so im golden here.

If i had to buy ram again, it would cut into my protien and creatine budget.