PDA

View Full Version : Thermalright True Black 120 paint flaking off

Viral
11-10-09, 05:23 AM
Ok so I bought a Thermalright True Black for my build back in August last year, I would've had the pc running for around 8 months then it wouldn't boot which I came to the conclusion was the motherboard. Been using another PC since then and have now bought an X48 to replace my P45.

So... I pull everything out, dust all the fans etc off. And notice something I noticed before when I was checking for problems a few months ago. There was a weird metallic looking dust on top of the psu. So I pulled off the HS fan, only to find a small amount of this dust at the base of the HS and in some areas on the mobo. Looking at the HS after taking it off it's VERY clear that the black anodisation has peeled off from just in front of the fan. The exhaust side is fine.

So I get a brush and see how much of this flaked paint I can get out into the sink. I have pics but cant find my damn phone usb cable! ARGGGGHH! :p So yes there was quite a bit of this paint in small flakes and small particles. I then realise I'm not going to be able to get all this out of the HS with just a paint brush... and decide this HS will not be going in my new build.

So... I've ordered a Ultra 120 Extreme ALUMINIUM! Now if the alloys are clear anodised and I have this same problem I'm going to fly to wherever thermalright is based and bash some techs over the head with a couple of 700g sharp finned alloy objects.

FEEDBACK TIME! Now I live near the water (salt water)... so can anyone else with a True black HS please take the time to remove their fan and see if any of the black paint has partially flaked off on the edges of the fins closest to the fan. Thankyou to anyone who does this!

Hmm maybe I should see if thermalright have a forum.

bob saget
11-10-09, 02:06 PM
Intersting. You say you have had it since august 2008?

XDanger
11-10-09, 02:16 PM
Yes ,Painting a HS black is stupid, Doesn't make any sense.

If paint was such a good conductor, heatsinks would be made of it :p
Radiative heat transfer (heat transfer by electromagnetic radiation) is proportional to e*(T1^4 - T2^4)where T1 is the absolute temperature of the material, T2 is the absolute temperature of the surroundings, and e is the emissivity coefficient.A black material has a high emissivity coefficient, while a silvery material has a low emissivity coefficient.However, the emissivity coefficient cuts both ways, so to speak. A black material in thermodynamic equilibrium with its environment absorbs more radiation, true. But it also emits more radiation (this is necessary for equilibrium to hold). Likewise, a silvery material absorbs less radiation, and also emits less radiation.Conductive heat transfer ensures that the black material on the surface of the heat sink remains hot. The surroundings are at a lower temperature. Therefore T1 and T2 are set, and the heat transferred from the heat sink to the surroundings is simply proportional to e, the emissivity coefficient.

Viral
11-10-09, 05:32 PM
I think it's anodised and tests show it performs the same as the alloy. And bob, I bought it in August probably didn't get my pc running until Sept.

Another thing to note, some heatpipes had green corrosion on the outsides of them and one side of one of the retaining spring loaded screws was rusted.... only one, the other three were perfect! WTF? I know living close to salt water and in this type of humidity isn't good, but for the thing to look like this after a year of owning and 8 months of use is rediculous.

I've only ever owned one other thermalright HS back in the K7 days it was some heavy copper thing (was big at the time but tiny now), it too went green very fast but I thought it was just because it was copper...

pakotlar
11-10-09, 07:10 PM
Yes ,Painting a HS black is stupid, Doesn't make any sense.

If paint was such a good conductor, heatsinks would be made of it :p
Radiative heat transfer (heat transfer by electromagnetic radiation) is proportional to e*(T1^4 - T2^4)where T1 is the absolute temperature of the material, T2 is the absolute temperature of the surroundings, and e is the emissivity coefficient.A black material has a high emissivity coefficient, while a silvery material has a low emissivity coefficient.However, the emissivity coefficient cuts both ways, so to speak. A black material in thermodynamic equilibrium with its environment absorbs more radiation, true. But it also emits more radiation (this is necessary for equilibrium to hold). Likewise, a silvery material absorbs less radiation, and also emits less radiation.Conductive heat transfer ensures that the black material on the surface of the heat sink remains hot. The surroundings are at a lower temperature. Therefore T1 and T2 are set, and the heat transferred from the heat sink to the surroundings is simply proportional to e, the emissivity coefficient.

it doesn't have to be an amazing HEAT conducter to conduct enough electricity to short contacts on a motherboard. why the hell did you post that explanation on electromagnetic absorbtion? we bow to your huge brain's inability to google the right terms.

you didn't know that black materials absorb light better than identical materials of any other color? LOL :clap:

crainger
11-11-09, 01:08 AM
Well he is Pig Ignerant.

Viral
11-11-09, 06:42 AM
Got the normal 120 ultra extreme installed, in the process of tidying up cabling. Bastard cables.

Would be good to get feedback from someone whos been using a true black for a while.

bob saget
11-11-09, 12:44 PM
i was gonna get the black, but they were out.

XDanger
11-11-09, 01:16 PM
it doesn't have to be an amazing HEAT conducter to conduct enough electricity to short contacts on a motherboard. why the hell did you post that explanation on electromagnetic absorbtion? we bow to your huge brain's inability to google the right terms.

you didn't know that black materials absorb light better than identical materials of any other color? LOL :clap:

Light?

btw ,"we bow to your huge brain" ...lol

Thats transference if ever I saw it :)

I stand by my statement that paint is lame but I'm sure theres some kind of sciencey reason why it isnt so I cut and pasted something about anodising so as not to get wankers like you quoting some science crap at me for my "stupidity"

Try not judging others by your own standards you prick ;)

eva2000
11-11-09, 09:43 PM
Got photos ?