PDA

View Full Version : DDR2 1066 Question

technoid
11-10-09, 07:54 AM
I'm going to buy some new memory and I have a question about the so called DDR2 1066 RAM, which is just overclocked DDR2 800 according to Kingston tech support.

I called tech support at Kingston and he said their DDR2 1066 RAM was DDR2 800 RAM tested to work at 1066 speed. He said it boots up at 800 but you must set the voltage up from 1.8 to 2.2 and then set the speed from 800 to 1066 in the BIOS. So how does setting the voltage up 22 percent affect the life span of the RAM. I know it's common to do this but I'm not an overclocker and am just looking for more information and opinions.

And yes I know Kingston RAM has a lifetime warranty :)

Dr.Nick
11-10-09, 11:28 AM
That is not entirely true as you can get DDR2-1200 ram that runs at only 1.9v. Ram meant to run at 2v+ is designed to do so and does not mean that it will die any sooner than ram running at 1.8. I've been running 2.1v through mine for well over a year with no issues..

Revs
11-10-09, 12:10 PM
That is not entirely true as you can get DDR2-1200 ram that runs at only 1.9v. Ram meant to run at 2v+ is designed to do so and does not mean that it will die any sooner than ram running at 1.8. I've been running 2.1v through mine for well over a year with no issues..

+1

Never been a problem for me. If Kingston say it should run at 2.2v, run it at that. They should know ;). The last thing you want is stability issues with the RAM as it can cause some serious ****ups; data corruption/loss, etc.

frenchy2k1
11-10-09, 02:47 PM
The reason they are presenting DDR2 1066 as overclocked is because there is no JEDEC spec over DDR2-800. DDR3 was supposed to pick up from there, however, manufacturer always beat the specs and go beyond.
Voltage is described on the product and as their warranty will pick up any problem, I would not worry. Otherwise, do like me and get the GEIL DDR2 1066 @ 1.6V. There, problem solved ;)

(or any other DDR2 1066 @1.8V or less)

technoid
11-12-09, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the replies. I did some more research on Kingston Hyper X RAM and found one article testing some Hyper X DDR2 800 RAM with the heat spreader removed. The picture showed ELPIDA 667 RAM chips but the Hyper X series was advertised as DDR2 800 RAM with low latency, which pretty much sealed my opinion of not buying it. I ended up searching out and buying some Kingston KVR1066 RAM that runs at 1.8 volts. It's not something people here would buy but it suits my needs so it works for me. I didn't save the url to that test or I would share it here. Thanks again for your time and sharing your knowledge with me.

EDIT:

I wanted to share the test I found so I went back and looked it up again. It was a few pages into a Google search. Here's a link to it. The picture of the ELPIDA 667 RAM Chips is on page 2 and here's their comments. I know this type of thing is common, but I'm just not an overclocker so I stick with the stock stuff.

Kingston Hyper X KHX6400D2LLK2/2G
http://www.pcmoddingmy.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.381

REVIEW COMMENTS

Underneath the heatspreaders, we found Elpida E5108AG-6E-E memory ICs. These Elpida 6E ICs are not favorable among enthusiasts but we are interested to test it. Rated at 333MHz, these FBGA Elpida 6E ICs were originally graded as DDR2-667 at CL5-5-5 with just 1.8V. However, Kingston had tested and speed binned these ICs to DDR2-800 at CL4-4-4. To maintain low latencies at 400MHz, these Elpida 6E ICs require additional voltage, thus explains the 2.0V requirement.