PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTX Clocks Do Not Idle

Shikami
11-10-09, 10:21 AM
I have searched as much as I can but I cannot find anything to the issue that I am having. Although I keep reading similarities nothing to what I need some help with.

My 8800GTX was replaced around early February with a 285GTX. I recently procured a new chassis that will allow the installation, due to size of the card, with another system. Vista x64 is the operating system and the recent 191.07 WHQL drivers are installed. To note, I do not overclock anything and have not done so in the past.

I was checking the thermal management of the new chassis and can hear the 8800's fan seem a bit high in pitch for being on the desktop. I had CPUz running at the moment and noticed that it was in performance mode. Although, the 8 series do not support this feature of the driver it made me use GPUz to check the clock, temperatures, and fan speed. I then noticed that the clocks were maxed out and the temperature was scaling slowing. My previous usage showed the 8800 normally lower the clocks, cannot remember exactly the frequency, and would idle at the mid to upper 50 degress. Curiously I loaded Ubuntu 9.10 and the clocks were maxed out also with this operating system using 185 drivers.

I do not recall this being a normal behavior previously. I would like to use the 8800GTX but I do not want it maxing the clocks and drawing more power for only rendering a desktop. Any insight into this is much appreciated.

Shikami
11-11-09, 05:46 AM
Well it seems I am apparently wrong. I could have sworn there was a 2D/3D clock setting for the 8800GTX. But its seems with a little more research there is not.