PDA

View Full Version : A very interesting business article concerning Activision-Blizzard and MW2

TheANIMAL
11-12-09, 04:49 PM
Someone has written an article about the film and games industry as one subject. Its quite amazing to see these comparasons across the wider entertainment industry.

http://www.mcvuk.com/static/images/assets/158/229_topmediaproperties.jpg

The article can be found here.
http://www.mcvuk.com/features/583/Modern-Marvel

Individual franchises of the Games industry have more than caught up with the Film industry, although the size of the games companies individually have not caught up with the size of individual film publishers, e.g. Comparing Electronic Arts to Disney.

methimpikehoses
11-12-09, 04:56 PM
Wow, I don't see how that can be right, particularly the MW2 ranking. Maybe projected sales?

TheANIMAL
11-12-09, 05:03 PM
Yes its a projected sale, to be honest i think that projection is conservative.

pakotlar
11-12-09, 05:22 PM
Yes its a projected sale, to be honest i think that projection is conservative.

Based on what?

|MaguS|
11-12-09, 05:43 PM
Based on what?

On the previous titles sales.

ViN86
11-12-09, 06:24 PM
Where's GTA:IV on that list?

methimpikehoses
11-12-09, 06:34 PM
What the hell is the Alchemist? I've never even heard of that. Someone google it.

NarcissistZero
11-12-09, 06:43 PM
industry have more than caught up with the Film industry, although the size of the games companies individually have not caught up with the size of individual film publishers, e.g. Comparing Electronic Arts to Disney.

That's because most games lose money... EA lost 700 million last quarter. These companies spend tons of money developing games and advertising games and then 90% of them lose millions.

It's why when pirates say EA is raking in the cash and they aren't hurting anyone they are being asshats.

TheANIMAL
11-12-09, 08:21 PM
That's because most games lose money... EA lost 700 million last quarter. These companies spend tons of money developing games and advertising games and then 90% of them lose millions.

It's why when pirates say EA is raking in the cash and they aren't hurting anyone they are being asshats.

I think you are slightly exaggerating. 90% of them loose millions?

Anywho, the difference between the 2 examples i made in my OP was a difference of revenue between 4.28 billion and 35.5 billion, so erm, i think the maturity of the two companies and industries plays a teeiiieny part there.

Revs
11-13-09, 03:01 AM
There are some pretty average films in that list.

NarcissistZero
11-13-09, 03:01 AM
I think you are slightly exaggerating. 90% of them loose millions?

Anywho, the difference between the 2 examples i made in my OP was a difference of revenue between 4.28 billion and 35.5 billion, so erm, i think the maturity of the two companies and industries plays a teeiiieny part there.

I didn't pull the number from nowhere, there was some article not long ago posted on all the major news sites and blogs that said 9 out of 10 games lose money or some similar thing.

Kaguya
11-13-09, 10:53 AM
I'm still skeptical of the source of the stats: Box Office Mojo, Wikipedia and LCM Media are the sources used... but what did they use to collect that data? Are they all compared on the same scale, or does the profits include DVD sales for movies (as comparing a movie only on theatre profits isn't accurate if you also expect to compare World of Warcraft which has a subscription - of course it's going to come out on top, people are still paying for it).

I'm also surprised not to see The Sims up there in any way shape or form. It's always on every top sales list for games along with WoW.

That's the biggest problem with a lot of these types of comparisons, especially using disparate sources with likely very different means of measuring profit. As the saying goes, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Nitz Walsh
11-13-09, 02:13 PM
On the previous titles sales.
...and the fact it sold 7 million in one day. And we're just coming up on xmas.

TheANIMAL
11-13-09, 07:11 PM
Yup MW2 is exceeding all expectations, its going make a huge profit. Anybody who says that piracy is hurting this game in partcular is living in cloud cuckoo land.

(that comment isn't directed at anyone in particular)