PDA

View Full Version : Irritating Flaw in Dragon Age

Pages : [1] 2

Tygerwoody
11-12-09, 07:24 PM
This backpack size is killing me. I'm actually at the point where I don't care if I have to cheat to increase backpack size. I am in the mage tower and no way possible to sell items.

I'm considering either restarting 2 entire hours of fighting... all because I need to sell backpack items. Theres no reason I should be doing this.

I'm not one to cheat normally, but if anyone knows of any cheats or mods to increase backpack size, i would very much appreciate it. At this moment right now, I can't even play the game. Thanks.

methimpikehoses
11-12-09, 07:38 PM
Just drop less important items for now, and sell the rest later.

There's also a place to buy a bigger backpack in game, not that that helps you in the tower. :p

OldOfEvil
11-12-09, 08:05 PM
Stop picking up all the creatine.

NarcissistZero
11-12-09, 08:16 PM
Sell the jewels and worthless crap, stop carrying around old leather armor and stop picking up trap-making tools if you never make traps.

I have never had an issue with inventory.

shilk
11-12-09, 09:23 PM
Get the toolset from Bioware, then go to:

My Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\Characters\*your character*\saves\*the save you want*
And open up the .das file in the toolset. Go to savegame_partylist then savegame_max_items and change it to 999.

Save it, and when you load the save file you can now carry 999 items.

Annoying thing, really, as all they care about is milking as much money as they can (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/04/dont-blame-ea-for-dragon-ages-inventory-or-paid-dlc/) from everyone.

They're already closing the forums, rofl.

Zelda_fan
11-12-09, 09:58 PM
This backpack size is killing me. I'm actually at the point where I don't care if I have to cheat to increase backpack size. I am in the mage tower and no way possible to sell items.

I'm considering either restarting 2 entire hours of fighting... all because I need to sell backpack items. Theres no reason I should be doing this.

I'm not one to cheat normally, but if anyone knows of any cheats or mods to increase backpack size, i would very much appreciate it. At this moment right now, I can't even play the game. Thanks.

You do realize that you can purchase backpack space at the merchants for like 6G for 10 extra slots. I started off with 60 slots and I'm at about 100 now. You can also destroy useless low-cost items like "lesser salves" etc.

crainger
11-12-09, 11:04 PM

My Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\Characters\*your character*\saves\*the save you want*
And open up the .das file in the toolset. Go to savegame_partylist then savegame_max_items and change it to 999.

Annoying thing, really, as all they care about is milking as much money as they can (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/04/dont-blame-ea-for-dragon-ages-inventory-or-paid-dlc/) from everyone.

They are closing the forums? You sure it isn't because the Social Bioware site is coming out of Beta?

shilk
11-13-09, 12:56 AM
They are closing the forums? You sure it isn't because the Social Bioware site is coming out of Beta?

Yeah.

On Tuesday November 17 we will be closing these forums and will be directing all discussion on Dragon Age over to the Social Site.

These "old" forums will be archived, but all ongoing discussion on Dragon Age will be in the Social site.

If you have not already done so, please head over to the Social Site and create an account. You can visit the Social Site here: http://social.bioware.com/user_home.php

Their Social Site is a freakin mess though. It's the most counter-intuitive website I have ever had the priviledge of navigating through. I mean, come on. They've had more than enough time to slap together a functional website.

They really need to section off the various forums areas. As of now, it's a nightmare to navigate through all of the stuff for the toolset to say the least. It's a horrible way to even get support or sift through the various "trash" just to get decent information on anything.

NarcissistZero
11-13-09, 02:56 AM
The only problem I have with the social site is I keep forgetting how to access my characters and achievements.

crainger
11-13-09, 05:51 AM
The social site is a terrible mess. browsing mods is painful. No way to tell which are planned and which are actually done.

It's a shame they are closing the older Bioware forums, they are pretty good, just hope they don't move their others games to the social site.

Also the toolset mod works great. However if you have a 40hr+ save you'll probably need a 64 bit system to open the save. 32bit systems can't address the required memory.

Tygerwoody
11-13-09, 06:36 AM

Awesome. I'm going to try this out.

For everyone's information. I have zero "lesser salves" and low end armor in my pack. I only have 70 slots. I've gotten rid of everything I can. About the backpacks. I don't know where to find them. I have only seen a backpack in the very first stage of the game(where I can't return). I didn't buy it because at the time, I did not have near enough money.

crainger
11-13-09, 07:51 AM
I was in the same situation. I did the Mages Tower early and while I'd bought a few back pack slots I ran out in the tower. I'm a hoarder. I like my infinite pockets/Bags of Holding.

LurkerLito
11-13-09, 09:47 AM
Yeah the backpack thing sucked I have 90 slots but always was full. It's not a big deal till you get deep into a dungeon and it would take just way too much time to go back to town and sell stuff. I dropped off most of the armor I want to keep when I head over to Warden's Keep. I am a hoarder also and don't want to destroy anything if I can sell it or use it later. I am going to install the tools and increase the backpack slots since it is really the only thing I hated the most about the game :).

shilk
11-13-09, 11:48 AM
Also the toolset mod works great. However if you have a 40hr+ save you'll probably need a 64 bit system to open the save. 32bit systems can't address the required memory.

omzig posted a fix for that. :)
Yep just check the DA bioware tech forums it seems theres a massive mem leak devs say it will take a while to trackdown though...seems to indicate that there wasnt much extended play testing done or they knew about it and decided to ship anyways

You have 2 options atm it seems first is to save quit and reload DA that seems to reset loading times for another hour or so or 2nd (which worked for me) is to hex edit the .exe to make it large address aware (by default its not) after doing so my loads are no more than 20-30 seconds in and out of any area no matter how long i play

a guide and software for making your exe large address aware can be found here

http://www.jaloonz.com/2008/04/enabling-large-address-aware-for-games.html

i cant guarantee it wont make your computer expload or your first born become darkspawn filth but ive been playing 30+ hours with the hex ed inplace and have only seen positive results

Tried it myself, and it works great so far. There are still some loading times, but it wasn't nowhere near as heinous as it was before. The NTCore site didn't load for me, so I just downloaded it from download.com, and it worked perfectly fine.

About the backpacks. I don't know where to find them. I have only seen a backpack in the very first stage of the game(where I can't return). I didn't buy it because at the time, I did not have near enough money.

Almost every single merchant has them in the game. Just check under their "Other" tab, and it should always be at the bottom. I have 110 inventory size right now, but with Shale in my party, it's almost impossible to keep my bags empty because of all of his different gems.

I was relieved though when I got some key items that it said 112/110, so I didn't lose any them. But the problem with that is you still have to throw away items to make it at least 109/110 if you need to move or loot something which kind of defeats the whole purpose.

crainger
11-13-09, 04:03 PM
Yeah for Large Address Aware you usually need a 4gb+ system and 64bit. 32 bit systems may start blue screening

Atomizer
11-14-09, 12:55 AM
Its a minor issue and I dont really consider it a flaw, I guess they could have given you a weight limit and slowed down your character if you went over......

Honestly, im more concerned about corrupted games, I have a mage level 16 and had all the party npcs disappear from the camp, and I had the party as normal, then when I tried to talk to some of them, they started their beginning scripts(asif you just met them), the beginning script also seemed to teleport to a fixed location(which takes you outside the map if you arent in the same area where you meet them), the assassin cant even be spoken to, I guess its because of his unique entry into the party.
I ended up starting a warrior city elf this time, hopefully nothing gets corrupted in the meantime while waiting for a patch

K007
11-14-09, 02:40 AM
hmm thx for that 4gb patcher info.

would mw2 / vac get all cranky if i enable it on that?

NarcissistZero
11-14-09, 07:07 AM
I am having my first inventory problem in the Urn quest... way too long of a dungeon, way too much stuff!

K007
11-14-09, 07:13 AM
didnt have too much of a inventory problem, tho at the end of the urn quest i did have to throw some stuff out, but those were stuff i never even used. mostly weapons since i was too lazy to get rid of em -.-.

Destroy
11-14-09, 10:29 AM
Isn't a large part of the RPG thing about making choices including what to keep or throw away. Bunch of pack rats in here.

LurkerLito
11-14-09, 10:45 AM
Yeah making choices about what to keep and throw away are part of the game, but it's a part I really don't enjoy. I spent maybe 45 hours battling and finding stuff and probably a good 2-3 hours of that time at the inventory screen deciding which things I should destroy, trying to remember if the armor/weapons on those members at camp was better with what they had or what I was looking at. Knowing that I could probably have bought that tome of arcane knowledge to give me access to another spell with all the stuff I destroyed on the way. That part sucks balls.

shilk
11-14-09, 11:18 AM
Honestly, im more concerned about corrupted games, I have a mage level 16 and had all the party npcs disappear from the camp, and I had the party as normal, then when I tried to talk to some of them, they started their beginning scripts(asif you just met them), the beginning script also seemed to teleport to a fixed location(which takes you outside the map if you arent in the same area where you meet them), the assassin cant even be spoken to, I guess its because of his unique entry into the party.
I ended up starting a warrior city elf this time, hopefully nothing gets corrupted in the meantime while waiting for a patch

Did you get the 1.01 patch? Not sure if it might help or not, but it did address the character corruption issue, iirc.

Tygerwoody
11-14-09, 12:17 PM
Well. I didn't install the patch to increase my inventory size. I decided to stick it out.

I made it through the mage tower. Had to delete a lot of pretty good items, but I guess thats how it goes.

shilk
11-14-09, 01:19 PM
Dexterity hotfix (http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/hotfix/dexterity_hotfix_101). Freakin' finally.
(Note: All mobs will get the bonus too.)

There's tons of mods out there already as well. You can even whiten everyone's teeth (http://social.bioware.com/project/580/), lol. I think the more promising ones are the ones that make it so when you recruit a character or start the game, your points aren't already allocated. That's the thing that pissed me off the most when I got a new party member. This way, you can allocate the points how you want them.

I was playing a Rogue already, and there was no point having Zevran or Leliana with me since they were also Rogues. I changed Leliana to a full-time bard and Zevran a ranged character. The thing that pissed me off was Morrigan. I know she's sort of a shapeshifter, but most of her talents are used up my useless crap like Spider form and stuff. With this mod, I can make her a healer/hexer/support character and not have to worry about getting Wynne.

Check it out here (http://dragonagemodding.wordpress.com/). Awesome toolset guide, btw. :)

Oh, topless Morrigan mod ftw, ROFL. :D

crainger
11-14-09, 05:02 PM
Hotfix also makes going up against a group of archers one of the toughest fights in the game. Especially in the Ozzamar ozziemar whatever it is place.