PDA

View Full Version : Activions CEO Talks About a Call of Duty Subscription Game

NarcissistZero
11-15-09, 09:43 AM
Story: http://www.destructoid.com/activision-gamers-demand-to-pay-more-for-call-of-duty-155190.phtml

I bet a ton of people, as in a TON of people, would pay a monthly fee for CoD multiplayer with frequent new maps, modes and guns along with massive dedicated servers and anti-cheat.

TONS, as I said in the comment section to that article.

Side note: how obvious is it all games will eventually be account and probably subscription based? Pretty damn obvious.

Crow_Nest
11-15-09, 09:50 AM
Ive never been supportive of the idea of paying monthly subscriptions to play a video game. Video games and cable TV are two seperate things.

Oh well, let bobby do his thing...

lIqUID
11-15-09, 09:53 AM
wreaks of failure

S.I.N
11-15-09, 09:57 AM
You mean we can pay you a small fee every month instead of $60 every year? And we can pay it on top of our Live fee? Oh the "casuals" will love this. Thanks Activision for making it easier for us to give you our money.

Kaguya
11-15-09, 03:54 PM
Story: http://www.destructoid.com/activision-gamers-demand-to-pay-more-for-call-of-duty-155190.phtml

I bet a ton of people, as in a TON of people, would pay a monthly fee for CoD multiplayer with frequent new maps, modes and guns along with massive dedicated servers and anti-cheat.

TONS, as I said in the comment section to that article.

Side note: how obvious is it all games will eventually be account and probably subscription based? Pretty damn obvious.

I can already hear the approach of the whine-much-lately PC crowd coming, so I'll say my peace quickly ;)

Depends on the value of the subscription and what comes with it. I've honestly wondered how game companies pay for dedicated servers as it is, and leaving it up to third parties can be useful, but can also reduce quality and control. I don't enjoy CoD multiplayer enough for it to interest me, but I can definitely see people buying into this.

However, I also see grass roots uprisings against it, whether justified or not - the tides are changing, and the old guard won't let go of its old ways anytime soon.

mailman2
11-15-09, 04:20 PM
I'll buy a game, but I will never pay to play after that. Go play a MMO if you feel like spending a monthly fee after you already pony up $50 for the game. I don't understand that mentality and really hope it doesn't come to FPS too. You wouldnt catch me near a title with a monthly subscription.

NarcissistZero
11-15-09, 08:24 PM
However, I also see grass roots uprisings against it, whether justified or not - the tides are changing, and the old guard won't let go of its old ways anytime soon.

This is actually a subject I find myself allied with the "old guard" on, I just hate the idea of paying continously for a game rather than "owning it." Still, I see this as something a ton of people will accept and love the idea of, and that's all that matters really... they don't need everyone to like it.

bob saget
11-15-09, 09:08 PM
I am not paying any subscription or monthly fee for any game, ever. F*ck that. And I love CoD

Kaguya
11-15-09, 11:31 PM
This is actually a subject I find myself allied with the "old guard" on, I just hate the idea of paying continously for a game rather than "owning it." Still, I see this as something a ton of people will accept and love the idea of, and that's all that matters really... they don't need everyone to like it.

Of course they don't, they just need enough for it to remain profitable. In the article it mentions Battle.Net and Blizzard which makes me believe that Activision is going to take a few pages out of WoW and see if they can make a product that will attract those not interested in Elves and Dwarves.

To be honest, I think that they will come out with something far more expansive than simply CoD with more maps... they will come out with something more akin to WWII Online or Planetside. Don't tell me that if they could create a persistant large faction war, set in modern military times, with intrigue and large battles, experience, and unlockable/earnable even craftable items that you wouldn't even consider taking a peak :) If they can pull that off, I think it's a license to print money.

Albo
11-16-09, 03:46 PM
I asked some CoD fanatics at my school, and they said that they would not pay a monthly subscription. If they do implement this, then all (100%) of the 27 kids I asked said they would go back to CoD 4

K007
11-17-09, 02:07 AM
it seems only activision/iw thinks we want to pay.

off to check on the updates of console hack/dedicated/mods.

BioHazZarD
11-17-09, 05:50 AM
Lol forget this idea.. if they want to piss off most fans sure go ahead.

K007
11-17-09, 06:35 AM
consoles will be glad to pay for it since they are not used to anything else other than paid dlc.

HYBRID
11-17-09, 08:02 AM
I'll buy a game, but I will never pay to play after that. Go play a MMO if you feel like spending a monthly fee after you already pony up $50 for the game. I don't understand that mentality and really hope it doesn't come to FPS too. You wouldnt catch me near a title with a monthly subscription.

I agree with you 100% percent with regards to FPS its different for an MMO but FPS no chance ill pass.