PDA

View Full Version : need a hint on Gears of War - PC version

LydianKnight
11-15-09, 04:14 PM
Hi,

I'm considering buying Gears of War for PC, really liked it (at least on youtube videos) but I have read on some forums it's flawed by a Verisign certificate issue that expired on 1/29/2009 so even if you legally own Gears of War and you play with the DVD on the drive (not even considering using No-CD or any other patches) you can't actually play it.

I found that piece of information on Amazon Customer Discussion (http://www.amazon.com/Copy-Protection/forum/Fx3DNME9UGC0C2Z/Tx144GPLLNOBHRT/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B000VBFW7E) page for Gears of War.

Can anyone confirm this? Would be nice to buy it but if it's true and I can't play it, then it's no use on buying it, would be a waste of time and money...

Thanks in advance,
Julio

crainger
11-15-09, 04:44 PM
Date trick works but I think they released a patch for it anyway.

mailman2
11-15-09, 05:19 PM
yea its already fixed with a TU (title update).

ViN86
11-15-09, 06:11 PM

+1

Should be fixed. Also, the date trick does work.

LydianKnight
11-15-09, 06:28 PM

What do you mean by Title Update? An official patch or something like that?

mailman2
11-15-09, 06:35 PM
What do you mean by Title Update? An official patch or something like that?

Yes, its an official patch - but patches through Games for windows live are called Title Updates. Either way you can get it though GFWL or http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/11503/Gears+of+War+Patch+ or http://www.gameborder.com/game/Gears%20of%20War%20Patch/

LydianKnight
11-15-09, 06:40 PM
Oh, nice. Thanks for the info ^_^

NarcissistZero
11-15-09, 09:30 PM
Great game, good PC version, not sure why it gets a lot of hate. The date issue was definately fixed.

ViN86
11-15-09, 11:02 PM
Great game, good PC version, not sure why it gets a lot of hate. The date issue was definately fixed.

Probably because the console version received so much hype.

If you remember, Epic was really pissed off about Gears on PC. They added higher resolution textures, extra map packs, another multiplayer gametype, and its reception was very good. A lot of people gave it a lot of ****, but in reality it is a lot better than the 360 version (I have both).

crainger
11-15-09, 11:02 PM
I gets hate from 360ers that pretend to be PCers. They are jealous about the extra levels.

ragejg
11-15-09, 11:56 PM
I still play my copy time to time. The SP campaign has a lot of replay value, and even the MP is fun if there's anyone online to enjoy it with. My x2/HD3850 rig handled it great @ 720p, and now with the x3/HD4870 rig it's even nicer, with everything properly maxxed out.

crainger
11-16-09, 12:08 AM
Sorry about your AMD situation. ::(:

LordJuanlo
11-16-09, 03:48 AM
Too much hate on this game because when it launched it shipped together with a buggy version of Games for Windows Live that made the game crash to desktop. A couple of months later after GFWL was patched the game ran butter smooth, I have finished it several times with no crashes and zero problems.

But it was too late and hate threads spread on the interwebz, to me it's similar to Windows Vista situation. After SP1 it became a quite good OS, but the initial reputation ended killing it anyway.

NarcissistZero
11-16-09, 04:58 AM
But it was too late and hate threads spread on the interwebz, to me it's similar to Windows Vista situation. After SP1 it became a quite good OS, but the initial reputation ended killing it anyway.

Yeah, this happens all the time... the way a game runs on day one is the way people will insist it still runs years later, no matter how false that may be.

grey_1
11-16-09, 09:22 AM
Too much hate on this game because when it launched it shipped together with a buggy version of Games for Windows Live that made the game crash to desktop. A couple of months later after GFWL was patched the game ran butter smooth, I have finished it several times with no crashes and zero problems.

+1

Coop in GoW just rocks. I might just have to find another copy....

DiscipleDOC
11-16-09, 09:25 AM
+1

Coop in GoW just rocks. I might just have to find another copy....

What? Did you sell the one you had?

grey_1
11-16-09, 09:52 AM
What? Did you sell the one you had?

I did. I do an annual game clearout. Sometimes I regret it. :o

Nitz Walsh
11-16-09, 02:21 PM
I love the series. The firefights are just so much fun with the different strategies that you can employ, and nothing is more visceral than popping someones head with a sniper rifle or chainsawing them in half.

Funniest thing I've ever seen in a multiplayer match is a quad-chainsaw of one player - you can have others join in mid-chainsaw as it doesn't register the kill until the animation is complete, so playing GoW2 once we had 4 guys all screaming at once chainsawing a guy from 4 different directions - just a shower of blood and quad-AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH'S!!!!! Bloody hysterical.

There is no game out now on consoles I wish more would come to the PC. Goddammit MS and their golden goose (assuming of course in the fable the farmer is pushed into billions worth of debt from raising the goose and keeps hoping for thousands of gold eggs and some point in the future, then the analogy works).

ViN86
11-16-09, 04:49 PM
I love the series. The firefights are just so much fun with the different strategies that you can employ, and nothing is more visceral than popping someones head with a sniper rifle or chainsawing them in half.

Funniest thing I've ever seen in a multiplayer match is a quad-chainsaw of one player - you can have others join in mid-chainsaw as it doesn't register the kill until the animation is complete, so playing GoW2 once we had 4 guys all screaming at once chainsawing a guy from 4 different directions - just a shower of blood and quad-AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH'S!!!!! Bloody hysterical.

There is no game out now on consoles I wish more would come to the PC. Goddammit MS and their golden goose (assuming of course in the fable the farmer is pushed into billions worth of debt from raising the goose and keeps hoping for thousands of gold eggs and some point in the future, then the analogy works).
To be honest, I bet if GOW on PC got a better reception you would see GOW2 as well. But Cliffy B stated that GOW2 will never be on PC.

NarcissistZero
11-16-09, 05:01 PM
To be honest, I bet if GOW on PC got a better reception you would see GOW2 as well. But Cliffy B stated that GOW2 will never be on PC.

Yup... it sold badly and was all over torrent sites, so Cliffy says FU!

blizzle
11-16-09, 05:23 PM
Maybe if they would of released it at the same time as the crapbox PC gamers would of bought it. I say a big FU to EPIC.