PDA

View Full Version : Help!! W7 wont let me format my Vista HDD :(

K007
11-18-09, 03:52 AM
Windows Cannot format the system partition on this disk.

I want to get rid of my Vista HDD Partition for good so that i can use that HDD to install my future games. The idea is that i want my HDD for games and OS be on two different drives, which is what i had in my Vista system, but i had to install w7 on my games HDD partition, i was not expecting w7 to work so smoothly...so now i want to get rid of vista hdd partition but i cant...

What gives? I tried through computer management as well.

K007
11-18-09, 04:31 AM
Well i tried booting the cd w7 and deleting the old partition, then on reboot it went all spastic as it had no boot options.

restarted put disc and restored...but it restored the old drive as well...

Is there no way for me to format my old partition of vista? I got rid of much as i can but there is atleast 20gb of space eating in there with a crap ton of files..

crainger
11-18-09, 12:55 PM
Are you 100% there are no W7 files on that disk/partition? Might have to chuck it into another PC or use something like UB4Win to format it.

grey_1
11-18-09, 01:03 PM
I quit using 7 solely because it locked me out of my Vista partition on another drive. None of the solutions I googled worked. I'm sure there is a way that isn't too drastic, but I got tired of just trying to convince 7 that I owned that vista partition too!

K007
11-18-09, 01:39 PM
It never locked me out of my vista partition.

So from reading around the internet, it seems it is because the MBR is sitting on the vista partition, and you have to put it on the w7 partition so that the "Sytem" tag is off from Vista Partition.

There seem to be several ways but not all seem 100%...clear on the story...

its a good thing i was able to repair the mbr/restore it last night when i used the w7 installation disc to format the partition of vista and it all crapped out -.-.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/Windows_7/How-to-Remove-a-Vista-Partition-from-a-Vista-Windows-7-Dual-Boot-Installation.html

fugu_fish
11-19-09, 12:48 PM
It never locked me out of my vista partition.

So from reading around the internet, it seems it is because the MBR is sitting on the vista partition, and you have to put it on the w7 partition so that the "Sytem" tag is off from Vista Partition.

There seem to be several ways but not all seem 100%...clear on the story...

its a good thing i was able to repair the mbr/restore it last night when i used the w7 installation disc to format the partition of vista and it all crapped out -.-.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/Windows_7/How-to-Remove-a-Vista-Partition-from-a-Vista-Windows-7-Dual-Boot-Installation.html

I did a stupid and installed W7 on a blank HD without unplugging my Vista HD. It appended the boot information to the Vista HD. I was able to move the hidden boot files and use easybcd to set the correct partition. I was just about to give up and reformat but I gave easybcd a try and it worked...

nekrosoft13
11-19-09, 12:55 PM
here is what problably happened

vista was installed first
7 was installed second

the primary boot loader is on the primary active drive, aka the vista drive.

that is why 7 won't let you remove that partition

K007
11-19-09, 01:18 PM
yea.

i am trying to see if i can move it to my w7 drive.