PDA

View Full Version : SVGA Extension Cable

Clay
06-30-03, 02:35 PM
I just need to rant and break something about now...errr...

Last night I replaced my Ti4800SE with an FX 5900 Ultra. No problem. This involved a completely clean install of Windows XP Pro w/ SP1. Once in Windows I noticed some severe ghosting and thought, ah that's just because I haven't installed the 44.03's yet...did that, rebooted...same result, ghost city. So, I powered down, checked all the connections, card seating in AGP slot, etc...no problems. Back in Windows...same thing. So, I thought...it's probably the SVGA extension cable...sure enough, I took that out and plugged my monitor directly into the FX...back in Windows, perfect.

So, no big deal. I'll go to CompUSA and snag a new cable (the previous one was a Belkin "Gold Series"...but it was the standard "thin" kind). I spotted a Belkin "High Integrity/High Density" that I'd not seen before (or had never paid attention to)...only one problem, it cost *get this* $63.59 after tax!

:eek:

On the back of the package it says:
...It is designed to support high resolution imaging, high speed vertical and horizontal scan (refresh) rates and high bandwidth monitors (up to 300MHz).

It is recomened for use with high resolution multimedia monitors, especically 17" or larger, or when "ghosting", "shadowing", or other distortions appear when using normal cables.

That's all well and good, I knew that but the little crappy one I'd been using caused me no problems. What really bites is the cost! Yeah, I know accessories, cables, etc are marked up about 1,000% but come on! I'll see if it works tonight (yeah I bought it anyway and yeah I could have bought it online for $3.00 from somewhere but I've got a review to get started on...)

:type:

*end of rant*

The Baron
06-30-03, 02:39 PM
I spotted a Belkin "High Integrity/High Density" that I'd not seen before (or had never paid attention to)...only one problem, it cost *get this* $63.59 after tax!
So.. you got a 5900 Ultra for $436.41 off? ;)

Clay
06-30-03, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
So.. you got a 5900 Ultra for $436.41 off? ;)

Now see there? That's what I'm talking about...there might be something to that SAT thingy afterall. Not to mention, the tremendous example of "the glass is half full" outlook. That's exactly what I needed, a good shot of positive thinking on this Monday. I feel better already.

:angel: :lol:

(stinkin' accessory markup)