PDA

View Full Version : Only 23% of Demigod players even ATTEMPTED to play online.

NarcissistZero
11-20-09, 10:02 AM
Startling statistic for the multiplayer-only Demigod, only 23% of people even tried to play online:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/11/19/only-23-even-attempted-to-play-multiplayer/comment-page-1/#comments

As a singleplayer-focused gamer I think this should tell a lot of people who keep claiming multiplayer is the main form of gaming to take a cold hard look at the facts. This game doesn't even have a campaign, which means 77% of people playing it are playing exclusively in skirmish mode against the AI, meaning they preffer that to online multiplayer.

Note is says "attempted" which means this has nothing to do with trying multiplayer and not liking it, or not being able to connect well, or whatever else.

methimpikehoses
11-20-09, 10:29 AM
I didn't get it because it had no campaign.

Tygerwoody
11-20-09, 10:29 AM
The game has almost 0 replayability. Honestly. The game needs a hell of a lot more personality to get people to play the game period. Much less play online.

I bought the game the day it released. I was totally stoked. However, after playing about 3-4 hours I pretty much did everything in the game. There was nothing to be excited about. Therefore I not only quit, i uninstalled it. I'm 100% not interested in the multiplayer. The game just doesn't interest me enough.

A game like this NEEDS a campaign. It NEEDS a story. It NEEDS something that will make it interesting to play. Right now, they just expect people to pick from a bunch of boring classes without having any kind of objective whatsoever other than "kill the other team". Pretty 1 dimensional.

Kaguya
11-20-09, 12:33 PM
The game has almost 0 replayability. Honestly. The game needs a hell of a lot more personality to get people to play the game period. Much less play online.

I bought the game the day it released. I was totally stoked. However, after playing about 3-4 hours I pretty much did everything in the game.

That's like saying Monopoly has 0 replayability because once you've bought a property, put up some houses and hotels, and passed Go, you've done everything in the game and therefore it's not worth playing again :p I just think the game wasn't for you...

That being said, I enjoyed multiplayer with my friends but online with random people wasn't very fun. Either you got your ass kicked, or the one time you start to do well the other side rage quits and you end up playing vs the CPU anyway.

I do think that game companies put way too much effort into multiplayer or tack multiplayer onto games that don't need it just to say they have it. Not that that's the case with Demigod though. I think that many people bought it a) To support Stardock, and b) To see what it was about and found out, like Tygerwoody, that it just wasn't for them.

nekrosoft13
11-20-09, 01:18 PM
i will take OK singleplayer game over great multiplayer game anyway.

Tygerwoody
11-23-09, 09:33 AM
That's like saying Monopoly has 0 replayability because once you've bought a property, put up some houses and hotels, and passed Go, you've done everything in the game and therefore it's not worth playing again :p I just think the game wasn't for you...

That being said, I enjoyed multiplayer with my friends but online with random people wasn't very fun. Either you got your ass kicked, or the one time you start to do well the other side rage quits and you end up playing vs the CPU anyway.

I do think that game companies put way too much effort into multiplayer or tack multiplayer onto games that don't need it just to say they have it. Not that that's the case with Demigod though. I think that many people bought it a) To support Stardock, and b) To see what it was about and found out, like Tygerwoody, that it just wasn't for them.

I mean... Honestly the game on paper seems fantastic. I love RTS games. The mythology type super characters seemed great. Everything about the game on paper looks like one amazing game.

However, once you play it, you find that everything on paper is all the game has and thats it. There was absolutely zero depth to the game. No reason to return. There was no initiative to "get better". The game really lacks any kind of strategy development which kills it in my eyes. I can play a game like Age of Empires 2 for 8 hours a day, every day for a year, and never once get bored . You can always try new strategies and try new things in it. With Demigod, it was too straight forward. Buy items to make your character stronger, and do all the necessary upgrades. After that, the game pretty much plays itself. Sure you have to semi strategize attacking guarded towers, but thats pretty basic in itself.

They could have easily added items that are nearly "unachievable" to add a degree of difficulty, or added more more maps. Or hell, at least add a different game mode. "kill the other guy" gets boring after a few run throughs. Give me SOMETHING that will make me want to come back for more. When I play a game, I want to feel like I'm getting better at it instead of given the basics and ok you are automatically a pro. What about a story? RTS games almost REQUIRE a story. This game is like "durrrr you iz a good guy, you kilz bad guyz. Datz gr8 st0ry!".

Demigod. Great on paper. Horribly executed.

Ninjaman09
11-23-09, 09:48 AM
Demigod. Great on paper. Horribly executed.

QFT. I was so pumped to play that game and it wasn't even that bad at first, but I don't think I ever started it up again after the first day. :p

fizzelopeguss
11-23-09, 10:18 AM
I never play rts or skirmish style games online, too much wankery involved. I can't wait for stracraft 2, but i'll likely never play it online.

NarcissistZero
11-23-09, 11:04 AM
+1

I actually made the mistake of buying Sins of a Solar Empire because I just assumed it would have a single player campaign...when I got it home and it didn't, I was incredibly pissed. I played a few single player matches against the computer, didn't even attempt a multiplayer match.

EDIT: JUST noticed that Sins of a Solar Empire is ALSO a Stardock game. Seems like they have something against single player campaigns....kekekek

The issue with Sins is it is just begging to have a campaign, it has a great world in which to do so. At least Demigod doesn't make me wish we got a campaign with the included characters and world, as they are quite lame anyway.

Kaguya
11-23-09, 01:00 PM
The issue with Sins is it is just begging to have a campaign, it has a great world in which to do so. At least Demigod doesn't make me wish we got a campaign with the included characters and world, as they are quite lame anyway.

Demigod was the first DoTA type game I'd ever played... does the new League of Legends address this sort of thing?

It seems to me that Demigod was at least a bit more approachable, and while playing the CPU isn't really a campaign, there's not much more they could add to it if you ask me (unless you need convoluted reasons to play, like being given a story for why you're going after their citadel - although that's already given - it's a tournament).

I guess I'm just wondering what people wanted for a campaign? Does Street Fighter IV need a campaign? It's basically just a string of fights of increasing difficulty wrapped around cut scenes. Would that have made DG more interesting?

As for online play, I think the problem is that games like these often don't make it fun for newcomers to play online. All RTS games have that problem, and even SFIV is another good example. We certainly all hate rage quitters, but equally irritating are those who go in to completely destroy newbs. I only played a handful of online matches in Dawn of War II and of all those, out of the slaughters, only one guy actually spent the time to give me some tips rather than berate or completely dominate the game in an unfun way. Games like this have reputations for being inconsiderate to newbs, which may explain the low percentage.

Woah, sorry for going so long. Dunno where that came from. Carry on ... :D

NarcissistZero
11-23-09, 04:18 PM
I guess I'm just wondering what people wanted for a campaign?

A story is a big part of it... I like game stories, I rarely watch movies or TV, I mostly just play games, and a lot of game stories to me are excellent and make you feel immersed in what you are doing.

Another part would be unique goals... Sins and Demigod both just feel like arena matches, which is great, but a singleplayer aspect might have attempted to open the scale some, the same kind of gameplay in a differently presented atmosphere.

Lastly would be lore and purpose... in Sins especially knowing more about the motivations and backgrounds of the races and such, and seeing those played out some in videos or dialogue, would have added a lot to the game. Surely I can't be the only one who gets an extra rush at the end of a C&C game because I actually want to kill Kane.

AdamK47
11-23-09, 06:22 PM
I admit it, I only played offline.

Kaguya
11-24-09, 12:01 AM
A story is a big part of it... ... Surely I can't be the only one who gets an extra rush at the end of a C&C game because I actually want to kill Kane.

No, I hear that. I thought Dawn of War II was an awesome singleplayer experience, tremendously better than multiplayer in my opinion. I guess if GPG could have made the multiplayer arena play distinctly different from a campaign, where maybe you're this Demigod going through different maps etc... attaining skills and killing baddies more akin to Diablo or something.

The Demigod background stories are actually all very good (if you've ever read them). Definitely enough material to make an interesting story.

I admit it, I only played offline.

Just out of curiosity, what was your reasoning for not playing online? I do definitely fall in the category of 'mostly' playing this entirely offline, but did play with friends and vs strangers a couple of times (definitely not a lot).

-=DVS=-
11-24-09, 10:36 AM
Biggest problem with demigod was , piss poor servers , and whole infrastructure interface. Don't know how much they improved since then but for few weeks after the launch it was hardly possible to play online :thumbdwn: