PDA

View Full Version : Modern Warfare 2 has already sold more copies on PC than CoD4

Pages : [1] 2 3

NarcissistZero
11-20-09, 10:35 AM
Insanity:

http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/11/20/infinity-ward-modern-warfare-2-pc-already-outselling-call-of-du/

This could mean a bunch of things for the PC gaming industry. First off, it could mean more Steam integration, which is a good thing. Second off, it could mean more $60 titles, which sucks for people but could be good for PC gaming. Thirdly it could mean more matchmaking services and less server browers, which... depends on your perspective I suppose. Lastly it could mean Steam integration and IWNet were effective on SOME level at fighting piracy.

If nothing else it proves the dedicated server or nothing crowd is either A) buying the game anyway, or B) is very small and shadowed by the people exicted for matchmaking and Steam support.

Thoughts?

Noriega
11-20-09, 10:41 AM
MW2 had BIG BIG advertising campaign this is the main reason why it sold better. Maybe 200 000 of CoD4 fans didn't buy it because of no dedicated servers but then casual gamers like those who buys Sims 3 because it's the only game theny know from advertise will buy it.

Sazar
11-20-09, 10:57 AM
I like to think of it as the Matrix 3, the 3'rd Pirates movie, Transformers 2 or the Wolverine movie.

All of them were utter rubbish which only made as much money as they did because of hype and anticipation, not because of quality.

S.I.N
11-20-09, 11:15 AM
I don't know Sazar, I actually think MW2 lived up to the hype and is actually better than the first. Still a part of me is disgusted as I don't like the shake up this is all causing though some seem overjoyed at what they see as a renaissance for PC gaming which is laughable. $15 map packs/patches here we come.

Sazar
11-20-09, 11:17 AM
I don't know Sazar, I actually think MW2 lived up to the hype and is actually better than the first. Still a part of me is disgusted as I don't like the shake up this is all causing though some seem overjoyed at what they see as a renaissance for PC gaming which is laughable. $15 map packs/patches here we come.

Is it worth $10 more than the majority of games on the market? I seriously think not.

And I am with you. With the fanaticism we are seeing, we will see more games coming out at this price point and more money being asked for DLC's.

JohnDio
11-20-09, 11:34 AM
Good luck to the companies that will try something what IW did and i can't wait for them to blame the piracy for their low sales :p

Yeah, your game deserves to be pirated if you don't listen to the PC crowd (regarding their pc versions). Oh and if someone says that this "hardcore" crowd is small compared to the pc mainstream crowd... then i guess the companies can't blame the piracy as that small crowd isn't affecting them at all ;)

PS: And now, imagine how much more units it would sell if the MP was the same with Modern Warfare 1. That's what IW should be questioning themselves :p

ViN86
11-20-09, 11:39 AM
I can't wait for a company to launch a new game at $60, then when it sells like **** because it sucks or the price isn't worth the game, they will blame piracy.

It's the new standard for the PC market:

Game not selling well? Oh it's definitely not because the game's a POS. I mean, this WWII shooter is NEW! It has new features, like bigger guns! The only reason it's not selling is piracy. :headexplode:

HiCZoK4
11-20-09, 12:19 PM
The only marketing of this game I seen was on the relesease day. Shelfes were, still are full of this game... only this game. So You walk into market and see something like: MODERN WARFARE 2 IS OUT !!! GET THE BEST MODERN SHOOTER UP TO DATE NOW. Then You see a nice shiny box and You already know its Yours no matter the price

And IMO it sold good becouse its fantastic game not some crap. Thats all. Thank You. Close thread.

methimpikehoses
11-20-09, 12:31 PM
MW:2 is definitely high quality. The hosting can be annoying at times but overall it is clearly better than any previous COD, at least in terms of MP gameplay.

NarcissistZero
11-20-09, 12:32 PM
And IMO it sold good becouse its fantastic game not some crap. Thats all.

Agreed.

vampireuk
11-20-09, 12:38 PM
or the Wolverine movie.

I demand you hand in your testicles this very second.

NarcissistZero
11-20-09, 12:41 PM

Dude, it was pretty bad.

Banko
11-20-09, 12:44 PM
I only bought this for the SP, which was pretty fun however paying $60 for 4 hours of gameplay is pretty bad.

Abraxus#
11-20-09, 12:50 PM
I enjoyed it Wolverine, I wasn't expecting it to blow my mind.

On topic: I don't think you can infer anything about other games from MW2 - The hype & advertising is an order of magnitude greater than any other game, plus, it's pretty darn good. These two things don't apply to many games.

Sazar
11-20-09, 01:10 PM

Seriously? You LIKED the movie? It was a travesty of all that is good in the X-men universe. Hell, they ****ed up Dead Pool so bad they are talking about a reboot of his character to set things right.

six_storm
11-20-09, 01:14 PM
I'm waiting until this game drops in price big time. There's no way I'm paying $60 for it.

logan
11-20-09, 01:14 PM
4 hours doesn't seem like much, but then I remember thinking CoD4 was kindof short too. :I

ATi
11-20-09, 01:20 PM
4 hours doesn't seem like much, but then I remember thinking CoD4 was kindof short too. :II beat cod4 again before playing MW2 sp it took me 4 hours to beat cod4

Kaguya
11-20-09, 01:26 PM
Insanity:

http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/11/20/infinity-ward-modern-warfare-2-pc-already-outselling-call-of-du/

This could mean a bunch of things for the PC gaming industry. First off, it could mean more Steam integration, which is a good thing. Second off, it could mean more $60 titles, which sucks for people but could be good for PC gaming. Thirdly it could mean more matchmaking services and less server browers, which... depends on your perspective I suppose. Lastly it could mean Steam integration and IWNet were effective on SOME level at fighting piracy.

If nothing else it proves the dedicated server or nothing crowd is either A) buying the game anyway, or B) is very small and shadowed by the people exicted for matchmaking and Steam support.

Thoughts?

My first thought is "Why does all of this have to be such a big secret!?" Why is the gaming industry scared to tell us an exact number of PC units sold retail + digital?

I'd also like to have the numbers revisited after a year's time as retail (console and PC sales) will stagnate (because valuable shelf space will be replaced with newer titles) while DD sales may stay steady or increase with online discount sales.

FlakMagnet
11-20-09, 02:53 PM
I sincerely hope other PC game developers do NOT follow IW's lead in dropping dedicated servers! Not because I'm a clan member, or rent my own servers, but because I hear from friends at work that have bought the game and cannot play without lag. Sometimes the lag is so bad that it makes it unplayable.

One of my work colleagues reported the issue to IW and this was their reply :

<quote>
...understand that Call of Duty 4 operates with a DIFFERENT connection method as it relies on a dedicated or central server to connect. Much of the lag is relieved through this method. Modern Warfare 2 DOES NOT use dedicated server technology and employs Host Migration or Peer-to-peer technology. Connection issues are in most cases, beyond the control of users except by the standards of connection quality between each other.
</quote>

So if Peer-to-peer = lag, then I can see myself not buying any future multi-player games that don't support dedicated servers.

Some people have no problems whatsoever with the matchmaking that IWNet provides, but other, like the guys I work with, have nothing but problems :(

bob saget
11-20-09, 02:56 PM
It's going to "last" much shorter than cod4 I think. Guess that doesn't really matter to IW as they are running a business, but still...

Yaboze
11-20-09, 03:10 PM
MW2 is an excellent game and is of excellent quality. My only real complaints are it's $60 and a very short SP campaign, shorter than MW1. At least it felt shorter.

Not many games can get away with a $60 pricetag, that is reserved for the Halo 3's, CoD's and other big sequels.

But, it's true, this could set a bad precedent for expensive, short (PC) games without dedicated servers. DA is already setting a precedent with releasing Day 1 DLC's for cash.

DiscipleDOC
11-20-09, 03:15 PM
Insanity:

Thoughts?

I would have to say that their marketing strategy was very successful. Having commercials on during prime time made a big impact on consumers.

SH64
11-20-09, 03:39 PM
You can tell that by just looking at the amount of posts in the official MW2 thread ;)

bacon12
11-20-09, 04:11 PM
I would love to really see the retail + digital sales numbers as well.