PDA

View Full Version : 8800GT dying?

Crow_Nest
11-22-09, 10:08 AM
Only just now when i tried to play MW2, the game locks up and artifacts started appearing all over the screen. So i forced restart, started the game again, and the same thing happened. I only got into the game for about 10 seconds before my PC freezes. So i tried L4D2, the exact same thing happened except this time it only lasted 3 seconds. I get the artifacts then the monitor goes blank and have to force restart.

I uninstalled MS office 2010 beta (Which was the last thing i installed) and rebooted my PC, didnt solve anything. Uninstalled 195.50 drivers and put in 191.07 drivers, didnt solve anything either.

Is my 2 year old 8800GT about to bite the dust?

Maverick123w
11-22-09, 10:16 AM
Download and run furmark and see what happens.

Crow_Nest
11-22-09, 10:29 AM
Ran furmark and it locked up + artifacted like about 35 seconds into the benchmark.

I will do a clean reformat of my OS tomorrow to confirm its really a hardware issue, but from the looks of it, it most likely is. :(

XDanger
11-22-09, 01:43 PM
Is it full of dust?

My guess is no btw, you arent stewpid.

HiCZoK4
11-22-09, 01:56 PM
I was cleaning my 8800gt mont ago. Took of cooler and there was WOOOOO of dust. It runs just as on shopping Day

Rakeesh
11-22-09, 06:55 PM
I was cleaning my 8800gt mont ago. Took of cooler and there was WOOOOO of dust. It runs just as on shopping Day

I need to do the same with mine, re-apply the thermal paste and everything because I can see from the side that at the factory they just caked it on there which is stupid. I don't suppose there are any guides out there for removing the HSF assembly? I know these things are assembled in a rather convoluted way, and I'd rather not have to figure it out on my own and potentially break something.

Crow_Nest
11-23-09, 12:24 AM
My 8800GT was cleaned in May this year i think. Cleared a lot of dust in the fan and in my other components. The entire faceplate of my casing was entirely washed in water so there should be completely free of dust when i put it back.

Im about to do my reformat, will post back if the problem persists.

Crow_Nest
11-23-09, 02:12 AM
Just completed my reformat, popped in teh 195.55 drivers and ran furmark. Still locked up with artifacts. After that i tried increasing GPU fan speed to 100% and this time it passed the benchmark with a maximum GPU temp of 84 degrees C. However it locked up with artifacts when i ran the stability test. It locked up while it was at about 90 degrees. This card usually goes 100 degrees and beyond at full load when i play games, but now its not even surviving 90 degrees.

So im screwed i guess.

HiCZoK4
11-23-09, 11:42 AM
I dont think mine is ever getting so high temps. Have You applied silver thermal paste ?

Try the card on someones other pc. If the problem persists then card is borked

Revs
11-23-09, 11:52 AM
If I remember correctly my 8800GT's didn't like getting above 80*C ish, especially overclocked, so if you're is getting past that with the fan on 100% then that's probably your problem. I've found as cards get older they are less able to run stable at high temps. Might be time to upgrade the cooler. That stock cooler was always pap on that card. I replaced mine before fitting them with one of the Zalmans and the temps never went past 60*C, even OC'd with the core volts modded. They are still alive and kicking in my mates rig a couple of years on, having never run a game at stock clocks :lol:.

Crow_Nest
11-23-09, 11:10 PM
If I remember correctly my 8800GT's didn't like getting above 80*C ish, especially overclocked, so if you're is getting past that with the fan on 100% then that's probably your problem. I've found as cards get older they are less able to run stable at high temps. Might be time to upgrade the cooler. That stock cooler was always pap on that card. I replaced mine before fitting them with one of the Zalmans and the temps never went past 60*C, even OC'd with the core volts modded. They are still alive and kicking in my mates rig a couple of years on, having never run a game at stock clocks :lol:.

I cant remember the temps when i first started running the 8800GT 2 years ago. But i dont think it was like this before. Its been running at 70 idle and 100+ at full load for several months now (Maybe even a year, but i never kept in check) so it just decided to give up.

I can try putting it into my dad's desktop to see if it runs, unfortunately his PC is the only other computer in the house with a PCI-E mobo.

Revs
11-24-09, 03:34 AM
I cant remember the temps when i first started running the 8800GT 2 years ago. But i dont think it was like this before. Its been running at 70 idle and 100+ at full load for several months now (Maybe even a year, but i never kept in check) so it just decided to give up.

I can try putting it into my dad's desktop to see if it runs, unfortunately his PC is the only other computer in the house with a PCI-E mobo.

That's far too hot. I wouldn't expect any card to run stable at those temps at any age. I'm quite surprised it's lasted this long :lol:

Crow_Nest
11-24-09, 05:27 AM
That's far too hot. I wouldn't expect any card to run stable at those temps at any age. I'm quite surprised it's lasted this long :lol:

Thats why im proud of my 8800GT, its the only video card ive used for the longest period of time without having a real need to upgrade, and i would have continued using it until next year if it didnt die so soon.

:D

Revs
11-24-09, 06:56 AM
That's the point, tho. I don't think it's dead, just in dire need of an uprated cooler. Although that money could go towards an upgrade if you're looking for a good excuse :D

Crow_Nest
11-24-09, 08:00 AM
That's the point, tho. I don't think it's dead, just in dire need of an uprated cooler. Although that money could go towards an upgrade if you're looking for a good excuse :D

I tried downclocking the card and it managed to survive the stability test longer before it locked up again. And since the card crashed at temperatures far lower than those it usually handles, the chip is most likely already fried after months of operation. If that is the case then upgrading to a better cooler will not do anything since the damage is already done.

I dont think i'll spend money on better coolers, at the most i'll improve the cooling for my casing.

XDanger
11-24-09, 02:22 PM
mine idles @ 45 ,I think load is 65 but that was a while ago so memory is hazy.

Next time use aftermarket from the get-go if you can.

XDanger
11-24-09, 02:24 PM
I need to do the same with mine, re-apply the thermal paste and everything because I can see from the side that at the factory they just caked it on there which is stupid. I don't suppose there are any guides out there for removing the HSF assembly? I know these things are assembled in a rather convoluted way, and I'd rather not have to figure it out on my own and potentially break something.

stock uses thick pads of gunk that cant be replaced easily, And are ****.

ViN86
11-24-09, 02:34 PM
Your 8800GT is probably dead. Mine died about a month ago. I was getting artifacts and freezing when playing games as well. Also, downclocking the card prevented artifacts and freezing for me as well.

EVGA's awesome Lifetime Warranty (and jAkUp) helped me RMA it and they sent me a 9800GT :)

Crow_Nest
11-25-09, 07:39 AM
EVGA's awesome Lifetime Warranty (and jAkUp) helped me RMA it and they sent me a 9800GT :)

I was going to get it RMA'ed the realised i no longer have the original receipt and warranty card. I checked up the distributor's RMA policy for EOL products without a receipt and i have to pay a small admin fee plus freight charges on my own. On top of that it will take 6 - 8 weeks for them to process the entire thing provided they have the stock. Im not going to wait that long, and i have no idea how much the freight charges are, so im better off with a new card.

Will pick up one of them 5850s when they arrive, these things sell out in only a few hours!

XDanger
11-25-09, 12:58 PM
accelero l2 pro, Great cooler ,Dirt Cheap. (for the 5850)

Maybe change the al sinks for cu though eh.