PDA

View Full Version : Is my PSU enough?

Crow_Nest
11-23-09, 07:58 AM
Im thinking of picking up a HD 5850 sometime this week. I just want to know if my PSU is enough to support it (See my sig) i do not intend to OC the graphics card, but i may OC the CPU. I may have to hold back my upgrade if i require a new PSU before i can change graphics...

betterdan
11-23-09, 08:14 AM
I found this PSU selector on Corsair's site http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/default.aspx

I don't know exactly how accurate it is since it only asks about CPU, vid card and amount of hard drives and if you are doing any overclocking but according to that it says anywhere between a 450W and 650W PSU should fit your system.

Crow_Nest
11-23-09, 08:18 AM
Thanks, thats a cool gauge. Funny why they recommend a 450W PSU when 500W is the recommended for this card. Hopefully mine will hold out.

DiscipleDOC
11-23-09, 09:17 AM
That program doesn't account for SLI, either...

candle_86
11-23-09, 07:16 PM
they do exagerate all the time on them

Crow_Nest
11-23-09, 11:08 PM
Crow: GPU manufacturers would benefit from slightly exaggerating the requirement to ensure the end user has enough power rather than deal with numerous complaints. Think about how many no-name PSU's are out there with exaggerated output specs for example?

It's the amps on the 12v rail that matter the most anyway. With more watts comes more amps...so saying 500w is required sort of covers the bs PSU's. If your PSU's 12v amps meet the requirement for the 5850, most likely the wattage will be there too.

Yep just remembered about the 12v rail. Im guessing it should though, i'll have to go back home and check later.

Viral
11-24-09, 12:36 AM
Google tells me your PSU has two 18A +12V Rails. Just make sure you use one 6-pin connector from each rail to make use of all the available power and it should be fine - Provided you keep everything at stock speeds. Of course no guarantees, so if it worries you at all I'd be looking for a new one.

Crow_Nest
11-24-09, 05:30 AM
Google tells me your PSU has two 18A +12V Rails. Just make sure you use one 6-pin connector from each rail to make use of all the available power and it should be fine - Provided you keep everything at stock speeds. Of course no guarantees, so if it worries you at all I'd be looking for a new one.

Well it wouldnt kill me not to overclock, unless theres a bottleneck taking effect but i doubt there should be. Anyway if my PSU isnt enough i'll just get a new one in future.

EDIT: I just checked my PSU, indeed it does have two 18A + 12v rails. But only one 6-pin connector for PCI-E. So i'll have to buy an adapter if im going to upgrade, at least it beats buying a brand new PSU...