PDA

View Full Version : 60fps

Pages : [1] 2

NarcissistZero
11-25-09, 12:31 AM
I have been playing some older games lately, mostly Call of Duty and Call of Duty 2, and it reminds me of how smooth and perfect feeling mouse aiming is at a locked framerate of 60fps. Loading up Far Cry 2 and Moder Warfare 2 later in the day I decided to tweak the settings to obtain a solid 60fps, only to find this is almost impossible without lowering the settings well below higher settings... on Far Cry 2, despite having a framerate of between 40 and 60fps on max settings, I had to lower everything to almost low in order to get a rock solid 60fps at 1080p with AA.

So, how important is a solid 60fps to you? I have to say it is hard for me right now to play the newer games as the mouse aiming feels almost sluggish. Do you sacrifice settings to get a solid 60fps whenever possible? Do you prefer playing older games because of this? Or are you at the opposite end, do you not really see a big deal either way?

bob saget
11-25-09, 12:44 AM
I just max everything out, and expect framerates to be decent. I paid a sh*tload for my computer, and sort of expect pretty decent performance. Hasn't let me down yet.

Armed_Baboon
11-25-09, 01:05 AM
I just max everything out, and expect framerates to be decent. I paid a sh*tload for my computer, and sort of expect pretty decent performance. Hasn't let me down yet.

it would let you down with Crysis and Stalker. and Empire:Total War.

Buio
11-25-09, 01:17 AM
I don't have any need for constant 60 Hz in the RPG/Strategy games I play.

With multiplayer first person shooters it is more important for precise control. But in MW2 if you get 120ms ping that is a much more limiting factor than framerate (60 Hz = 16.67ms frames).

NarcissistZero
11-25-09, 01:19 AM

I have a similar system and Crysis maxed on DX9 runs great... DX10 not so much. I forget what I turned down in Empire, but it wasn't too significant.

I am getting a new card in January, but mostly just to be crazy... it's not really needed right now, honestly.

SH64
11-25-09, 01:21 AM
I always shoot for 60+fps but i settle with something between 45-60fps.

bob saget
11-25-09, 01:48 AM

I game at 1680x1050, gonna get a 24 inch monitor soon. At current res, clear sky and crysis DX10 ran smooth and beautiful. Several times inside the alien ship it dropped to 20s, but the visuals are well worth it.

ATi
11-25-09, 01:55 AM
what drivers are you using for farcry2?

HiCZoK4
11-25-09, 02:08 AM
For me its very important. To maintain 60fps with Vsync. I mostly Turn of aa and some options in recent games. But I never down the resolution. 1680x1050 is a must have. Crisp look of native resolution makes aa not needed for me in most games.

I am happy if my fps are between 50-60fps. But then again. In some games if its not solid 60 then becouse of vsync it drops to 30 and go back to 60. (when triple buffering dont help). then I turn off some ofpions which are not important to me like shadows etc. Or disable Vsync if its not very bad. For example Dead Space can't be played without Vsync. There is too much flickering lights

bob saget
11-25-09, 02:17 AM
For me its very important. To maintain 60fps with Vsync. I mostly Turn of aa and some options in recent games. But I never down the resolution. 1680x1050 is a must have. Crisp look of native resolution makes aa not needed for me in most games.

I am happy if my fps are between 50-60fps. But then again. In some games if its not solid 60 then becouse of vsync it drops to 30 and go back to 60. (when triple buffering dont help). then I turn off some ofpions which are not important to me like shadows etc. Or disable Vsync if its not very bad. For example Dead Space can't be played without Vsync. There is too much flickering lights

yea its an awesome game.
By the way: This is your warning, if you can't get a new computer within 2 weeks you will banned from the forums.

:p :p :p

HiCZoK4
11-25-09, 02:23 AM
Its 2 years old and still works great! I spend a quite some PLN on it :D
Btw Bob? How much consoles did You thrown out of the windows this month?:D

LordJuanlo
11-25-09, 02:37 AM
I'm a 60 fps vsync guy, but it depends on the game, Crysis for example looks and feels fantastic at 40 fps, but most other shooters don't. On 3rd person games (Prince of Persia, Tomb Raider) I also need 60 fps to feel comfortable, also on racing games 60 fps is a must for me.

However I'm fine with the 30 fps cap on strategy games like Command & Conquer

HiCZoK4
11-25-09, 03:14 AM
I am also kinda ok with 30fps cap on Tiberium wars or Resident Evil4. But who put 30fps on Quake Wars should be banned of gaming industry.

ohhh. And You also have those noob friends who say "Movies are played at 27 fps and It is not possible You need 60 fps... You are stupid if You think You can see difference beetween 30 and 60 fps...."

When people say this I want to punch the in the face instantly! :lol:

crainger
11-25-09, 03:20 AM
Oh there is a difference. You should show them Force Unleashed capped at 30FPS then show them Resident Evil 5 at 60. Two console games ported. Same generation. Difference is night and day. Resident Evil is as smooth as silk.

Noriega
11-25-09, 03:26 AM
I'm a 60 fps vsync guy, but it depends on the game, Crysis for example looks and feels fantastic at 40 fps, but most other shooters don't. On 3rd person games (Prince of Persia, Tomb Raider) I also need 60 fps to feel comfortable, also on racing games 60 fps is a must for me.

However I'm fine with the 30 fps cap on strategy games like Command & Conquer

+1 some games run perfectly with 30+ like Crysis, some needs 35+ like GTA IV and some racing and multiplayer shooters need 50+ for my eyes. But I really don't think that 60FPS is a big thing.

NaitoSan
11-25-09, 03:48 AM
I am also kinda ok with 30fps cap on Tiberium wars or Resident Evil4. But who put 30fps on Quake Wars should be banned of gaming industry.

ohhh. And You also have those noob friends who say "Movies are played at 27 fps and It is not possible You need 60 fps... You are stupid if You think You can see difference beetween 30 and 60 fps...."

When people say this I want to punch the in the face instantly! :lol:
24fps, not 27fps. ;)

I guess it depends on games. But overall, 60 fps' no big deal for me. I actually prefers 30fps for everything.

eidy
11-25-09, 04:54 AM
I have been playing some older games lately, mostly Call of Duty and Call of Duty 2, and it reminds me of how smooth and perfect feeling mouse aiming is at a locked framerate of 60fps. Loading up Far Cry 2 and Moder Warfare 2 later in the day I decided to tweak the settings to obtain a solid 60fps, only to find this is almost impossible without lowering the settings well below higher settings... on Far Cry 2, despite having a framerate of between 40 and 60fps on max settings, I had to lower everything to almost low in order to get a rock solid 60fps at 1080p with AA.

So, how important is a solid 60fps to you? I have to say it is hard for me right now to play the newer games as the mouse aiming feels almost sluggish. Do you sacrifice settings to get a solid 60fps whenever possible? Do you prefer playing older games because of this? Or are you at the opposite end, do you not really see a big deal either way?
1. Loose the AA. Keep only the AN at max (16x). You don't really need AA in fast paced games ... your focus will always be on not getting killed and far less on graphical details.

2. Lower the resolution first. There's no shame to not be able to play at your native resolution and the interpolation that happens on your display is also somewhat beneficial as an "AA surrogate" (blurs the hole image "smoothing" the rough edges). Of coarse you could play with black stripes just to keep the aspect 1:1 but that can be very uncomfortable.

3. You could also try a temporary cpu and gpu overclock for a demanding game (beware of the extra heating though !!!)

4. Only as a last resort downgrade your display options from high or very high to anything else. Some games look very different with lower graphics settings - it's not worth it to play them like that.

Hope that helps ;)

rudedog
11-25-09, 06:22 AM
when someone uses the films only run at 30 frames per second thus you don't need anything over that send them this link (which is from 2001)

http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html

Crow_Nest
11-25-09, 07:53 AM
I dont need 60 FPS to play. I usually set the video settings to max and run the game as it is. I dont mind if the FPS drops to around 30 - 40 during huge firefights or when theres a lot of smoke on screen, its normal.

|MaguS|
11-25-09, 07:53 AM
I never aim for a specific framerate. As long as the game plays smooth for me I am set. I prefer a locked FPS to getting the highest and having it fluctuate. I can see a difference when it’s fluctuating over if it’s just locked at a lower rate. I can play a game at 30FPS if it is locked at that speed (Saints Row 2).

jlippo
11-25-09, 08:56 AM
It really depends on the game, on something like L4D I like framerate to be v-synced 60-120fps, on some slower games I'm perfectly fine with vsync and 15-30fps with an insane AA. :D

syndicot
11-25-09, 12:20 PM

There is a very good fix for FC2 in DX10 mode which will help you to get silky smooth frame rates without the stutter and frame fluctuations. You will not be playing locked at 60fps maxed out but you can force the FPS to a particular number such as 45 for example. The result is a brand new experience with this game.

Just press the tilde button and type gfx_maxfps 45 or whatever number you desire.

CaptNKILL
11-25-09, 01:31 PM
I always shoot for 60+fps but i settle with something between 45-60fps.

Same here.

When my system totally eats a game alive I will generally keep the fps above 60fps at all times.

If I have to lower too many settings to keep 60fps then I'll settle for a bit less.

30fps is too low for all but the slowest games. Watching a game chop along at under 40fps is just as annoying to me as aliasing, and the frame rate actually effects the game play and the responsiveness of the controls.

crainger
11-25-09, 02:58 PM
I had to lower some forums settings to get CaptNKILL's bouncing head upto a constant 60FPS.

CaptNKILL
11-25-09, 03:01 PM
I had to lower some forums settings to get CaptNKILL's bouncing head upto a constant 60FPS.

That's the only way to experience it.

Any lower and the timing of the tongue flapping will be off and your post count will suffer.