PDA

View Full Version : Power supply requirements.

The Punisher
07-01-03, 02:03 AM
Is it true that theres a minimum power supply voltage requirement for FX series cards? I'm currently using a stock 300W PSU on my P4 system thats using an Intel 845BG mobo with a 4X AGP slot. I plan on upgrading to a Leadtek FX5900 Ultra 128MB card. Also, will I have any huge performance hits using an 8X AGP card on a 4X AGP board? Thanx in advance guys.

vampireuk
07-01-03, 07:33 AM
Get yourself a nice 500W psu, that will give you all the juice you need:cool:

Skuzzy
07-01-03, 08:28 AM
I would definately pick up a new power supply. 480W Antec Tru-Power would be a good match.

A story:

I have this nice little 2.4Ghz P4 system and decided to try to see what kind of overclock I could get, while maintaining stability (everone's dream of course).
My system, at that time, had a single HD, CDRom, SBLive, GF Ti4200, 512MB of ram, and an Ethernet card. The power supply was an Antec 350W.
Managed to get only a 300Mhz overclock before problems occurred. Ok,..I could live with that. Much cheaper than buying a new CPU, I figure.

One day I went shopping for some upgrades. Bought a new HD to add, an Audigy2 Platinum, Sony DRU500 DVD burner, and an ATI9700Pro.
While walking around the store, I spotted a shelf with power supplies on it. I looked in my basket and noted all the power hungry devices I was about to install and decied to get an Antec 480W Tru-Power supply.

Got it all put together and the system was rock stable. Always puts a smile on your face when you can do that.

Well, about a week later, on a whim, I decided to go ahead and push the clock one more tick. Booted up, and rock steady. "Hmmmm", I go. Decided to push it again. Still rock steady. Went through that cycle, until I had reached a 700Mhz overclock (with stock HSF mind you) and the system has been steady as a rock.

You never know how much more you can get out of your system until you put in a high quality power supply. I have since replaced the 9700Pto with a 9800Pro and the system is still rock steady. Just makes me grin everytime I hit the power switch.

CaptNKILL
07-01-03, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Skuzzy
I would definately pick up a new power supply. 480W Antec Tru-Power would be a good match.

A story:

I have this nice little 2.4Ghz P4 system and decided to try to see what kind of overclock I could get, while maintaining stability (everone's dream of course).
My system, at that time, had a single HD, CDRom, SBLive, GF Ti4200, 512MB of ram, and an Ethernet card. The power supply was an Antec 350W.
Managed to get only a 300Mhz overclock before problems occurred. Ok,..I could live with that. Much cheaper than buying a new CPU, I figure.

One day I went shopping for some upgrades. Bought a new HD to add, an Audigy2 Platinum, Sony DRU500 DVD burner, and an ATI9700Pro.
While walking around the store, I spotted a shelf with power supplies on it. I looked in my basket and noted all the power hungry devices I was about to install and decied to get an Antec 480W Tru-Power supply.

Got it all put together and the system was rock stable. Always puts a smile on your face when you can do that.

Well, about a week later, on a whim, I decided to go ahead and push the clock one more tick. Booted up, and rock steady. "Hmmmm", I go. Decided to push it again. Still rock steady. Went through that cycle, until I had reached a 700Mhz overclock (with stock HSF mind you) and the system has been steady as a rock.

You never know how much more you can get out of your system until you put in a high quality power supply. I have since replaced the 9700Pto with a 9800Pro and the system is still rock steady. Just makes me grin everytime I hit the power switch.

How do you know you didnt just burn the CPU in with the 300Mhz OC, which allowed you to go higher later?

Just a thought :)

ricercar
07-01-03, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by The Punisher
Is it true that theres a minimum power supply voltage requirement for FX series cards?

Yes. Both GeForce FX 5800 and FX 5800 Ultra documentation states a clear requirement of at least a 300 watt PSU.

However, when I fed my 5800 U from a 350 W PSU, it benchmarked higher than with a 300 W PSU on the same system, by about 15-17%, ~200 3DMark2001.

CaptNKILL
07-01-03, 09:38 PM
Heh, I just ordered an Allied 400W power supply (dual fans) and a Panaflo 80MM case fan a few hours ago. I wonder if my comp will be any faster :)

The Punisher
07-04-03, 11:26 PM
Izzat so. HHmmmm..... I think I will get myself a 400+W PSU for my FX5900. Thanx :)