PDA

View Full Version : A Zero Punctuation Review, that is actually pretty fair for once

TheANIMAL
11-25-09, 04:56 PM
Its for Modern Warefair 2, as you've probably guessed. Pity he didn't review the online part but he rarely ever does, however he does mention alot of legitimate issues, some already widely known and others you probably not thought of.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1118-Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-2

I've got to say i agree with pretty much all of what he said, MW2 was made by developers who couldn't quite believe the success of the first MW game and wanted to see how much they could get away with, but it still cissied out and to a greater extent, they ran out of ideas trying to exceed the original.

NarcissistZero
11-25-09, 05:40 PM
It definately suffers from the common problems with sequels to amazing first entries... still, it's a great ride.

bob saget
11-25-09, 05:46 PM
:rofl I am sorry my son ate your shoes ,he's a little special.
Love his reviews simply for the comedy.

Armed_Baboon
11-25-09, 06:18 PM
totally agree with taking something that works and doing it again 3 times.

Vanzagar
11-25-09, 09:49 PM
To me this game feels like those arcade games where you're riding in a jeep or a boat and baddies pop up every where and you have to shoot them as you follow along some pre-determined path from A to B...

Especially in that map where you're chasing some dude along the roof tops (where you never actually get to "chase" him, you only get to see him running), guys pop out of windows and above roof tops and around corners and they all can't kill me but with one shot I can take them down, had me laughing pretty hard at one point... kind of reminds me of whack a mole... MW2 = whack a terrorist?

Quick420
11-25-09, 10:31 PM
This guy always delivers...one funny brit:p

Johnny C
11-25-09, 10:54 PM
I love the witcher review...

snowmanwithahat
11-26-09, 02:20 AM
Review seemed spot on...

crainger
11-26-09, 02:22 AM
I love the witcher review...

LOL That's the review that earned him more hate mail than any other from what I gather.

FastRedPonyCar
11-26-09, 12:47 PM
ZP's reviews are 99% of the time spot on. He picks apart flaws and problems that very few of the biased reviews online will print or talk about.

It's sad that most of the fair reviews these days who bring up legit issues and aren't paid or have any influence from the game industries are mostly all on youtube.

seriously the youtube reviews from the little indie game reviewers are where the nitty gritty honest to goodness reviews are.

But ZP is consistently fair and legit with his gripes and I wish more developers would actually pay attention to him. He's not being a dick for no reason, he's just tired and bitter from the same old crap being churned out and games being dumbed down by big companies... it's a very real and legit problem with the game industry as a whole more or less.

NarcissistZero
11-26-09, 01:57 PM
I like watching his reviews but he is one of those "OMG it's FUN, don't we play games to have FUN!" types... the type who thinks Saint's Row is better than GTA because it is more "FUN".

I dislike that attitude because "fun" is subjective, the immersive and realistic world of GTA is more fun to me than the over-the-top world of Saint's Row. It all depends on where you come from.

You are right though that he points out nagging little problems most reviews gloss over... reviewers take a broader approach to things and review the overall ideas and gameplay, whereas a user review can say "this little part was so annoying it ruined the game for me" which is something that often happens to people but reviews never discuss. Look at Far Cry 2, little problems that drove some people to just loathe the game, but overall it is a great idea and should be a great game, and reviewers gave a score to that overall experience.

TheANIMAL
11-26-09, 02:44 PM
I dislike that attitude because "fun" is subjective, the immersive and realistic world of GTA is more fun to me than the over-the-top world of Saint's Row. It all depends on where you come from.

Different strokes for different folks i guess. I think Yatzee just dislikes Brown Filters.

HiCZoK4
11-26-09, 03:10 PM
Damn... I still can't understand aroun 40% of words he is rumbling out of his mouth

crainger
11-26-09, 10:28 PM
I'll allow that as your English is getting much better HiCZoK.