PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect 2 System Requirements & DRM

Pages : [1] 2

SH64
11-25-09, 06:27 PM
Minimum System Requirements

* Processor: 1.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent AMD CPU
* Memory: 1 GB RAM for Windows XP / 2 GB RAM for Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Video Card: 256 MB (with Pixel Shader 3.0 support). Supported Chipsets: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or greater; ATI Radeon X1600 Pro or greater. Please note that NVIDIA GeForce 7300, 8100, 8200, 8300, 8400, and 9300; ATI Radeon HD3200, and HD4350 are below minimum system requirements. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required. Intel and S3 video cards are not officially supported in Mass Effect 2.
* Hard Drive: 15 GB
* DVD ROM: 1x Speed
* Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible
* DirectX: DirectX 9.0c August 2008 (included)
* Input: Keyboard / Mouse

Recommended System Requirements:

* Processor: 2.6+ GHz Cure 2 Duo Intel or equivalent AMD CPU
* Memory: 2 GB RAM
* Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, or better recommended
* Sound Card: 100% DirectX compatible sound card and drivers
* DirectX: DirectX August 2008

Release Date: Jan. 26, 2010 (US), Jan. 29, 2010 (EU)

The boxed/retail PC version of Mass Effect 2 will use only a basic disk check and it will not require online authentication. This is the same method as Dragon Age: Origins. Digital versions will use the retailers protection system.
1 more reason for me to support the game :thumbsup:

http://worthplaying.com/article/2009/11/25/news/70495/

breathemetal
11-25-09, 06:32 PM
Release date?

SH64
11-25-09, 06:33 PM
Release date?
Jan. 26, 2010 (US), Jan. 29, 2010 (EU)

NarcissistZero
11-25-09, 06:39 PM
Yay.

Steam preorder with preload and cool items kthanx.

CaptNKILL
11-26-09, 12:39 AM
Damn, what am I going to do for my RPG fix after this game is released?

Risen, Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 all in a span of 3 months... that's crazy.

Are there any other promising RPGs coming out in the next year?

Retrolock
11-26-09, 12:53 AM
Well, here's hoping to The Witcher 2 next year! Want to see some great Geralt and some hot wench lovemaking, not the plastic Dragon Age ones.

marqmajere
11-26-09, 12:56 AM
Very cool. I want ME2 more than any other game right now.

MustangSVT
11-26-09, 12:59 AM
I like the fact that they're moving away from Draconian DRM. Risen had a disc-check only too.

crainger
11-26-09, 03:13 AM
Trailers look awesome. The prequel book was awesome too. If you love Mass Effect read both books. One is set before Mass Effect 1, the second is between 1 and 2.

LordJuanlo
11-26-09, 05:52 AM
I'll preorder it on Steam as I did with Dragon Age: Origins

NarcissistZero
11-28-09, 02:42 PM
I also pre-ordered this game but I still haven't finished part 1 :o

Gotta finish it before part two so you can import that save file!

The sucky thing about that feature is if you ever want to play ME2 over again you are probably going to want to play ME1 again first to set things up.

Redeemed
11-28-09, 02:47 PM
Gotta finish it before part two so you can import that save file!

The sucky thing about that feature is if you ever want to play ME2 over again you are probably going to want to play ME1 again first to set things up.

What?

I've not play ME1 so I have no idea what you're talking about. I've never encountered a sequel to a game where a save game from the first is required... :wtf:

NarcissistZero
11-28-09, 03:39 PM
What?

I've not play ME1 so I have no idea what you're talking about. I've never encountered a sequel to a game where a save game from the first is required... :wtf:

It's not required, but you import the save file from the original so all your choices are noted for impacts in the second game. Without it the game randomly decides those choices at the start.

nekrosoft13
11-28-09, 04:12 PM
I like the fact that they're moving away from Draconian DRM. Risen had a disc-check only too.

no it doesn't, it actually has two DRMs SolidShield and Tages

NarcissistZero
11-28-09, 04:14 PM
no it doesn't, it actually has two DRMs SolidShield and Tages

US boxed retail version only has a disc check.

nekrosoft13
11-28-09, 04:26 PM
it has no activation, but still uses Tages v5.5.7.2 and Solidshield for disc check

note: and both of these are DRM systems

no activation or cd-key is required

btw going by google results

nV`andrew
11-28-09, 04:51 PM
Damn, what am I going to do for my RPG fix after this game is released?

Risen, Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 all in a span of 3 months... that's crazy.

Are there any other promising RPGs coming out in the next year?

This is all burning a hole in my wallet too!

:o

NarcissistZero
11-28-09, 05:17 PM
it has no activation, but still uses Tages v5.5.7.2 and Solidshield for disc check

note: and both of these are DRM systems

no activation or cd-key is required

btw going by google results

Ah, well, it's a disc check then. Every disc check is from some DRM company like SecuROM or TAGES, but they are still disc checks and on disc checks.

nekrosoft13
11-28-09, 05:27 PM
Ah, well, it's a disc check then. Every disc check is from some DRM company like SecuROM or TAGES, but they are still disc checks and on disc checks.

not excactly before the DRM became used in games, disc check where different.

disc check used to check:
disc in the drive
correct label on the disc
and sometimes correct folders/files on the disc
old type of disc check was coded by the game developer

some new games still use this basic disc checking, 1:1 copies where simply made in any software with any burner

risen "disc check" by tages and solidshield is different
also check media, can recognize between DVD-Rom and DVD-R or +R
can recognize files being in wrong order on the disc
and also detects some virtual cd software and causes somewhat famous inset original dvd "risen" error (google finds a lot of results)
and 1:1 copies are not possible.
this type of disc check is handled by DRM

overall great DRM method that doesn't cause much bad publicity.

crainger
11-28-09, 05:51 PM
What?

Lots of games have it. Lego Star Wars is another, as is The Sims 2, you could use saves from Sim City 4. Please expand your mind 'Deemed.

Redeemed
11-28-09, 05:57 PM
Lots of games have it. Lego Star Wars is another, as is The Sims 2, you could use saves from Sim City 4. Please expand your mind 'Deemed.

No u. :bleh:

SH64
11-29-09, 01:12 AM
2 or 3 games cannot be considered as "lots".

I didnt know that ME2 has this feature either .. too bad i dont have my ME1 saved games anymore :(

ynnek
12-06-09, 11:00 PM
I'm debating to get ME2 for my 360, or for my PC. EA/Bioware seems to have handled Dragon Age for PC pretty well with the disc check only DRM, optional online login, and DLC support. As long as EA/Bioware doesn't do any exclusive 360 only DLC...

So I'm thinking of getting ME2 for PC, even though I finished ME1 on the 360. The sharper graphics, controls, and faster loading times I think will be worth it... Plus, I'm not sure if my dragon armor code from the PC ver of Dragon Age will work if I get a the 360 ver of ME2. ;)

crainger
12-07-09, 12:13 AM
Go PC, first Mass Effect was really good on PC, second should be even better.

However you are right about Dragon Armor. Not sure if it's cross platform. Also you wont be able to import saves from 360 to PC. ::(:

nekrosoft13
01-05-10, 02:36 AM
Mass Effect 2 Importing Requires Hard Drive
New Game + option will also be available.
by Jim Reilly
LATEST IMAGES

View all 71 images

LATEST VIDEO

View all 30 videos
December 28, 2009 - Mass Effect fans will soon be able to import character and story save data from the first title into the upcoming sequel. BioWare has outlined the process, with community man Chris Priestly answering questions and concerns of fans on the official forums recently.

Here's what you should know before you make the jump:

Upon starting a new game from the main menu, players can import a character save from Mass Effect 1

The Player chooses which character to bring in. Bringing in more than one character is possible, this will create a second or additional profile(s), just like in Mass Effect 1.

For Xbox 360 players need to be signed into your profile that you used to play through Mass Effect 1.

On PC players will select the .MassEffectSave files to import.

The profile and save data must be present on the hard drive and not an MU.

There is a limit of 11 end-of-game saves that can be imported into ME2. This means that if the player was to complete ME1 12 times, regardless of the number of unique playthroughs used, the 12th save will not be available for import, but saves 1 through 11 will be available.

Priestly also says starting a New Game + after completing it will be able to reuse the same import data for a second playthrough. Completing Mass Effect 1 with a high level character and transferring it to Mass Effect 2 will receive greater bonuses, such as a monetary boost, or "additional research resources for use at the Normandy's Tech Lab."

Additionally, transferring a save where the player finished as either a Renegade or a Paragon, "part" of your character's alignment will carry over as well.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/105/1057567p1.html