PDA

View Full Version : New GPU or new CPU?

nV`andrew
11-27-09, 12:00 PM
Right now, newegg is selling Q8300's for $140 for black friday. Seems like a steal to me, and I'm still on a dual core setup. If i went that route, I wouldn't have to switch my motherboard, and I will also have windows 7 64 bit and 4GB of RAM by next week. I have an aftermarket hsf and a decent board, I should be able to overclock it a bit.

Or I could get a new gpu, maybe a 260 or something along those lines.

I game at 1680x1050.

EDIT: I bit the bullet and ordered the quad. Now should I wait for the next gen nvidia cards to come out, or would it make sense to get a GTX260 as well?

eidy
11-27-09, 01:16 PM
Yes, a GTX260 would help alot at 1680x1050 especially with the newer games and with settings cranked at max + AA.

I would even go as far as grabbing a GTX285 or an 4870 / 4890 from ATI ... I don't trust ATI's drivers - there's always a "semi-fatal catch" with them (not uninstalling corectly, crappy optimization for newer applications, etc.).

Your new quad-cpu should be a fair match for any of these gpu's => balanced system (too bad Windows does not care about really using the gpu or the cpu - see apple real performance & feel). I use Windows so a resent any Apple fun boy accusations ... ok ? ;)

Happy gaming ... bye !,

hokeyplyr48
11-27-09, 01:33 PM
I'd wait for next gen. Not necessarily to buy the next gen card, but prices on current cards will drop when the next gen ones come in.

nV`andrew
11-27-09, 02:14 PM
I'd wait for next gen. Not necessarily to buy the next gen card, but prices on current cards will drop when the next gen ones come in.

Yeah I was kind of thinking this as well. Anyone know around when they will come out? Before summer I'd hope.