PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 8600GT?

hayj
11-27-09, 02:06 PM
I'm having a problem with a PC freezing on a fairly regular basis and it seems to be more frequent. I think the graphics card is the culprit but thought I would get some other opinions. The symptom is a frozen screen with some pixelation, meaning the image is still seen but a large number of pixels turn various colors and the machine is unresponsive. It seems to be random (every day or so at this point) but happens a lot more often when the Netflix MCE plugin is used, almost every time now. I have Win7 64 bit installed but the behavior was present on a previous Vista 32 bit install. I have swapped the motherboard out(for another reason) and the behavior is present on both boards. I have run MEMtest for several hours with no errors. The case seems cool(and the temps are in range when I check) and the top case door is actually not on as it's in a console that hides the fact that it's missing, although the behavior was also present before this setup. I've tried several but not all available drivers. I have had a previous problem with a 9650m that required a driver lower than 185 that showed similar behavior on my laptop. Finally, I have a 500 Watt power supply so I don't think that would be the issue. This card has been sent back once before for causing the system to fail at boot. So it seems obvious to me but I thought I would post just in case. Maybe someone has seen this behavior. I've searched but no one seem to describe it specifically. I also haven't spent any money on the problem so I want to be as confident as possible. Thanks.

SLippe
11-28-09, 01:46 AM
Have you checked to see if the fan on the card is spinning? Are you using a 9650m in a Desktop setup? What brand of Power Supply do you have?

hayj
11-28-09, 06:58 AM
I did check the fan and it is spinning. No, the 9650m is in my Asus laptop which has a known issue with the drivers that hasn't seemed to be addressed and deals with powermizer. Basically you have to run the card at full performance. I have an Ultra power supply in my desktop with the 8600gt. Here are the specs:

http://ultraorder.com/product_details.php?cPath=37&pPath=157&productID=160

SLippe
11-29-09, 12:04 AM
What brand is your 8600GT? Have you physically removed the card and checked for dust? Be sure to use compressed air and blow under the plate, assuming it has one. If it's not overheating, then it's just a defective card. Sounds like time for another RMA.

hayj
11-29-09, 08:47 AM
It's a PNY. I haven't removed it yet but probably will today. I'll probably re-seat it in the other pci express slot as well.