PDA

View Full Version : steam is a crock

Pages : [1] 2

r2d2d3d4d5
11-29-09, 01:23 PM
was looking forward to a quiet Sunday afternoon playing E:TW, instead I get Steam downloading updates all day and not looking like it will finish until next weekend. why can't I just install the game from the nice shiny DVDs I paid for? I'm quiet happy for Steam to update the game at some point but why must it do it before it will even install the game? why does Steam have to control everything rather be a nice helpful manageable add on?

steam just gives me steam. :angry:

I'm sure pirates are enjoying the game without all this hassle. way to do one for paying customers. :thumbdwn:

NarcissistZero
11-29-09, 01:24 PM
Why would it take all day to download updates?

hokeyplyr48
11-29-09, 01:26 PM
I've just been able to hit cancel in the past. Or make your games offline (there's a checkbox somewhere)

Or get faster interwebs and stop using dialup? :headexplode:

bob saget
11-29-09, 01:26 PM
Why would it take all day to download updates?

It take me a very long time to install a full size game through steam. HL2 takes upwards of 3 hours.

r2d2d3d4d5
11-29-09, 01:36 PM
I'm not sure? it's downloading at 500kB/s and estimates it will take 6+ hours - but it's already been that and I'm nowhere near seeing this game???

I think it's downloading the whole game from scratch?????????
I don't think it's installed the game yet as it never asked for disk 2.

if I do anything other than wait it stalls for ages.

hokeyplyr48
11-29-09, 01:42 PM
is it patching?

grey_1
11-29-09, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure? it's downloading at 500kB/s and estimates it will take 6+ hours - but it's already been that and I'm nowhere near seeing this game???

I think it's downloading the whole game from scratch?????????
I don't think it's installed the game yet as it never asked for disk 2.

if I do anything other than wait it stalls for ages.

Just a shot in the dark, steam may check the disc and then proceed to dl the updated version. Just a guess as that's never happened to me. Disc's work fine.

r2d2d3d4d5
11-29-09, 01:55 PM
it says it's downloading updates but it hasn't actually installed the game yet??

it won't let me install the game in offline mode and it will only let me switch off auto updates after the game is semi installed - by then it's too late.. the only option is to wait out the forced updates I could do without (or at least I'd rather download separately - like the good old days).

Sectus
11-29-09, 01:57 PM
People call me crazy, but I'm kinda not all that keen on steam either. I don't use steam often, so almost every time I run it I have to install a new update which is a bit annoying. The pricing in europe is absolute rape. And I really dislike the fact that I need to keep steam running for every game. I see lots of people complain about drm in general, and I'm a bit baffled that they don't complain about steam which is one of the most strict form of drm out there.

I personally prefer impulse. You can install games like any retail game (even choose where you install it *gasp*!), many games have actually very reasonable pricing for europe and other regions. And the drm is very very light.

Stuff like gamersgate and direct2drive aren't bad either, but they suffer from the same pricing issues as steam. Euro does not have the same value as USD darnit >.<

NarcissistZero
11-29-09, 02:08 PM
It take me a very long time to install a full size game through steam. HL2 takes upwards of 3 hours.

Nothing like that at all on my system.

Anyway, sometimes Steam games don't want to install from the disc, you have to force it somehow. The Steam forums have you covered there, there are methods and instructions everywhere.

NarcissistZero
11-29-09, 02:09 PM
And I really dislike the fact that I need to keep steam running for every game. I see lots of people complain about drm in general, and I'm a bit baffled that they don't complain about steam which is one of the most strict form of drm out there.

Because the community features, Steamworks multiplayer, achievements and stat-tracking more than make up for having the client running. I would choose to have it running even if it wasn't needed.

S.I.N
11-29-09, 02:16 PM
Same thing happened with the orange box for me. Took near a damn hour to update and install the games. Reason I bought the disks was to get around that crap so that pissed me off also.

r2d2d3d4d5
11-29-09, 02:26 PM
Found this article on the Sega site + Steam site:
http://help.sega.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=516&nav=0,6,165

But it just doesn't work. Whatever I do Steam still does a full internet install.

Maybe if I leave it alone it will finish downloading and I'll get to play the game next weekend (I don't get a lot of time to play games) but I feel like I wasted a whole afternoon waiting for this game start working.

Destroy
11-29-09, 02:31 PM
Turn off autoupdated feature.

r2d2d3d4d5
11-29-09, 02:40 PM
I think you can only do that once the game is installed? Is there a global setting somewhere?

MaXThReAT
11-29-09, 02:59 PM
I also own the retail Orange box disk and steam will not allow me to install the game from the CD any longer. Steam will not take the install and errors out. I forget the exact error but I have tried it many many times over the past year. The only way to get it now is direct from Steam taking hours. I just tried it a few weeks ago to play CM10. I also believe NBA2K9 installed the serial number off the disk and then downloaded the entire game through steam.

NarcissistZero
11-29-09, 04:25 PM
Well I just installed Empire off the disc a month or so ago, so I know it works.

grey_1
11-29-09, 04:41 PM
Have you tried this method from the steam forums?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900026

Option 2. DISC INSTALL

To force Empire: Total War to install from the disc, please do the following:

Launch Steam, log in to the account the game was originally registered to and click the 'My Games' Tab.

To ensure that you will have a clean install of the game, right click on Empire: Total War and click 'Delete local content'.

Insert Disc 1 into your DVD drive and exit Steam entirely.

click on the Start > Run (or Windows Key + R)

In the Run box type the following:

"c:\program files\steam\steam.exe" -install E:

- If your CD/DVD drive is not E: please change it accordingly.

- If Steam is not installed within c:\program files\steam, change the path accordingly.

Press OK, Steam should now start the installation from Disc 1 and will ask for Disc 2 when needed.

When the installation is complete, a small update may be downloaded.

nekrosoft13
11-29-09, 04:48 PM
installed orange box from disc about 3 weeks ago, all ok

betterdan
11-29-09, 07:42 PM
Took me less than 30 minutes to download Left for Dead today and install it.

candle_86
11-29-09, 08:50 PM
i can still install CSS, HL2, HL:S off of my Half Life Collectors Edition DVD though I dont it takes another 3 hours to update lol.

Armed_Baboon
11-29-09, 09:22 PM
I had a similar problem re-installing empire total war but for me, it would stop on "installing updates..." or whatever the message was, and it would sit there for many hours. alot of people had this problem. It seems to be different to your problem though because with my issue, it wasn't downloading any data at all.

The solution to my issue was "magic". it would just starting working again after xx hours.

Seems like a pretty poor steam integration.

crainger
11-29-09, 10:47 PM
I had a similar issue installing DOW II of disk, it went ahead and wanted to download the whole game ::bleh::

I just cancel the install and started again. All from disc that time.

LordJuanlo
11-30-09, 05:20 AM
Steam is the second program that loads on my system (after Total Commander), I have it loaded all the time even if I'm not going to play. It has replaced messenger for me.

Bearclaw
11-30-09, 12:34 PM
Steam is awesome. I hated it at first and it was quite buggy but they've come a long way. I don't buy a game unless it is on Steam. I don't want all that paper waste lying around my house.