PDA

View Full Version : Q:resident 3D-texture

Andrey
07-01-03, 08:17 AM
Hi,
What is max size of resident 3D-texture
supported by "Nvidia GeForce 4 MX440 AGP 128mb SDRAM" and "Nvidia GeForce FX5200 AGP 8x 128Mb DDRAM" cards (or other unexpensive card) ?

I am looking for an appropriate mailing list to discuss 3D texture implementation in hardware. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

SurfMonkey
07-01-03, 08:52 AM
You should try asking your questions over at beyond3d.com, the forum members are all hard\software developers and can usually answer questions like that to a depth that can be quite scary ;)

Kruno
07-01-03, 10:19 AM
I think it's limited by your memory, like a normal texture.
Not too sure.

The Baron
07-01-03, 10:39 AM
to a depth that can be quite scary
I cut down my visits to B3D because those people make me look normal ;)

Zeno
07-01-03, 12:58 PM
We use 3D textures all the time at work.

The maximum size of any dimension of a 3D texture on NVIDIA cards is 512. This is on GeForce3, GeForce 4 Ti, and GeForce FX. Remember, GF4 MX cards are really glorified GF2's, so they don't support 3D texturemapping in hardware.

The maximum total RAM that the whole 3D texture can take is 64 MB. Since the dimensions are limited to powers-of-two, the next largest texture would be 128 MB, which is too large to fit in 128 MB of video RAM. It would be ok to have two 64 MB textures though....the restriction here is that each one must individually must fit in video RAM.

The best place to discuss this is probably the beginner's coding board on OpenGL.org.

-- Zeno