PDA

View Full Version : Cd-rw / Dvd-rom shootout...

morkus64
07-01-03, 10:02 AM
My Philips burner is way too picky and unreliable, so when i build my next computer, i'm gonna get a new burner... Any opinions on which? It'll probably be a Plextor or a Lite-On, but which do you all really think wins out?

As for a dvd drive, i'm looking for a 16x drive... just something reliable.

Good looks would be nice... not a fan of cheap looking things, no matter how well they work... oh and if it's availiable in black or nice colors, that'd be a plus. Meh, call me superficial.

:)

stncttr908
07-01-03, 10:06 AM
Lite-on burners are just fine. Don't let anyone tell you you need to spend twice as much on a plextor. Also, Lite-on's 16x DVD-ROM drives are also dirt cheap, around $30 I'd say.

ragejg
07-01-03, 10:26 AM
Lite-On: Awesome perf... great reliability...

Norcent: Does ANYTHING a plextor can...

TDK: Refurbs from TigerDirect are a good deal when you can get em... they are nice drives, I've had 2... a 12X with a 4 mb buffer and a regular 24x... I dug em both...

...my $0.02... :)

saturnotaku
07-01-03, 01:46 PM
I had a Plextor and a Lite-On CD-RW at the same time. The Lite-On did everything my Plextor could and then some (like blow through copy protected audio CDs) and it cost 1/3 as much.

For DVD drives if you want something that looks cool, snag a slot-loading Pioneer drive. They make IMO the best DVD (readers and writers) drives on the market. They're a tad more pricey than say Lite-On or LG but I think they're worth every penny.

b00bie
07-01-03, 02:01 PM
Well, from what I hear Lite-On makes excellent burners and they're much cheaper than Plextor.
And I am also looking at that Pioneer drive for my next comp. They're not that much more expensive. They're $42.99 at newegg. But I'm wondering how the Lite-On performs as a DVD drive... If anyone has one, let me know. ;)

volt
07-01-03, 02:11 PM
Quality components arent everything. I first look at the capabilities, anti-copy protections and possibly new / improved technology.

(Securom old/new, LaserLock, SafeDisc 1/2)

saturnotaku
07-01-03, 02:52 PM
Unless I've missed something, ain't no drives out there that can burn SecuROM New discs. Most though, can create an image in Alcohol 120% that is readable in Daemon Tools.

Most burners also can get around Safedisc if you use CloneCD.

MUYA
07-01-03, 03:31 PM
I think http://www.cdrlabs.com do CD-R, CD-RW and DVD-ROM reviews. check the site for reviews etc.

Cheers

MUYA

volt
07-01-03, 03:33 PM
I guess people looked at burning capabilities few years ago. Now it's only price since most of them can by pass it.

jAkUp
07-01-03, 04:00 PM
i have a liteon 52.x24.52... i love it... very fast, no coasters. i have 0 problems with it. even ships with nero to boot ;)

i also have a liteon dvd 16x... again no problems to mention with it. works fast, reads dvd's perfectly... ships with powerdvd

Riptide
07-02-03, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
For DVD drives if you want something that looks cool, snag a slot-loading Pioneer drive. They make IMO the best DVD (readers and writers) drives on the market. They're a tad more pricey than say Lite-On or LG but I think they're worth every penny.
Ditto... I've got two Pioneer 106s drives and they work very nicely. Slot loading. They were around $45 shipped. The real big plus for me is the rip speeds. You can rip at over 10x and a lot of the newer drives are locked at 4x.

The 106s has been replaced by the 120s. Seems like a nice drive, though I can't comment on the rip speeds.

saturnotaku
07-02-03, 03:39 PM
Yeah, the Pioneer DVD-RW drives are speed locked but the DVD-ROM drives still aren't AFAIK.

If you have a CompUSA near you, they have a deal on a Memorex 52/24/52 CD-RW. Those drives are merely repackaged Lite-Ons and can be flashed with Lite-On firmware. They're $49.99 and come with Nero. If you don't have any other burners in your system that's a great deal because the software alone is worth that much.

vampireuk
07-02-03, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
I had a Plextor and a Lite-On CD-RW at the same time. The Lite-On did everything my Plextor could and then some (like blow through copy protected audio CDs) and it cost 1/3 as much.

Seconded, I have a Lite-On and Pioneer Slot loading combo. They are both just amazing, the Pioneer is definately the best DVD-ROM on the market:)

UDawg
07-02-03, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by jAkUp
i have a liteon 52.x24.52... i love it... very fast, no coasters. i have 0 problems with it. even ships with nero to boot ;)

i also have a liteon dvd 16x... again no problems to mention with it. works fast, reads dvd's perfectly... ships with powerdvd

Lite-On is teh bescht.

I did hear that the 52x's were picky in the media used, so I got the 48x. I am sure it isn't all of them but I heard a few reviews that did have this problem, besides you reduce your speed for quality any way. ;)