PDA

View Full Version : Popping noise when using line-in

Maverick123w
12-02-09, 04:05 PM
Hey guys I recently bought a blu-ray player and currently have it hooked up to my monitor. I'm running the video through hdmi and I'm running the sound from the rca jacks to a 3.5 adapter and into the line-in port on my on-board sound.

I have had it hooked up this way for about 4 days now. I put my headphones on last night to play dragon age and when I did I could hear a "pop" noise about once every 15 seconds. I had never noticed it before and unplugged my headphones and turned up my speakers (logitech z2300's) and noticed it then as well. Unplugged the line-in and it immediately went away.

Plugged it back in and it was gone then as well, but creeped back up a few hours later. Being a tech I'm usually great with this stuff but sound is not something I've ever really gotten into past replacing sound cards etc. etc.

Would a higher quality add-in sound card remove this effect? I've made sure the connections are tight and they are.

Thanks

turdhat
12-02-09, 06:08 PM
Sound can be a pain to troubleshoot. If this is an add in card I would move it to a different pci slot. If its pci that is. Otherwise wipe drivers or if it is an x-fi restore default settings via the audio control panel located in the main system control panel. If build in sound wipe drivers.

Maverick123w
12-02-09, 07:15 PM
It's onboard. I installed the laters drivers which were only a week old, but no difference :(

I'm pondering getting new speakers as it is. These are far and away the best I've ever owned and when I got them 4+ years ago I was a bachelor and could use the system to it's full potential.

I've seen a few logitech kits in the $50-$99 range that have built in rca jacks which is a big plus.

I would like to get this sorted out regardless.

shilk
12-03-09, 12:15 AM
Have you tried using ferrite rings? So many people underestimate the importance of those little guys. :)

frenchy2k1
12-03-09, 02:33 PM
that or better insulation on your cable.
A cable is just an antenna waiting to happen after all...

Maverick123w
12-03-09, 04:03 PM
No I haven't. I actually haven't heard it since early yesterday morning. Crossing my fingers that it just decides to go away hehe.