PDA

View Full Version : Games for Windows Live to start selling full games Dec. 15th

Pages : [1] 2

NarcissistZero
12-03-09, 02:28 PM
http://kotaku.com/5418213/games-on-demand-coming-to-games-for-windows-live

Speaking of starts, the service's launch lineup will include Resident Evil 5, Red Faction: Guerrilla, and Battlestations: Pacific, along with Live-enabled versions of popular downloadable titles like World of Goo and Osmos. If those aren't enticing enough, there's also a free Live-enabled version of Tinker, the Windows Vista Ultimate Extra exclusive for those willing to download the Games for Windows Live client when the service goes live on the 15th.

Perfect reply on the Steam forums:

Great! Now I can buy all those great PC games that are not on PC because Microsoft made them for the Xbox!!

Great to see how they support the platform, and to see this edgy move, digital distribution? Never heard of that, sounds like futuristic stuff.

LordJuanlo
12-03-09, 02:30 PM
So Halo 3, Gears of War 2, Alan Wake and all those games will be finally available on PC, thank you Games for Windows Live!!!

/sarcasm

NarcissistZero
12-03-09, 02:30 PM
If they launched it with even one of those titles I would support it, at least as a trial. But noooooooooo

LurkerLito
12-03-09, 02:48 PM
I guess that means D2D and Impulse will be removing GfW games now from their catalogs ;).

NarcissistZero
12-03-09, 02:56 PM
I guess that means D2D and Impulse will be removing GfW games now from their catalogs ;).

I really can't imagine Impulse lasting too much longer, at least as a way to get non-Stardock software. It's just a Steam wannabe without any real benefit except for hardcore anti-DRM people, and even they don't seem to care most of the time.

D2D has the unique factor of having no client, Steam is Steam and MS will force this to work if they really want it to, but Impulse? Meh.

Sowk
12-03-09, 03:04 PM
If MS pulls their head out of their ^$$ and release good games like ALAN WAKE, GEARS 2, HALO 3, FORZA 3, and the like on the GFW system, then I'm all for it. But M$ is making me very mad these days along with Nvidia and their proprietary BS named Physx.

And Yes I still own all Nvidia stuff "currently"

Kaguya
12-03-09, 03:48 PM
My two thoughts on this are:

"Oh, now Microsoft PC exclusives will be only available at GFW Live Marketplace" at which I realized "Hey, Microsoft doesn't publish PC games anymore..."

My other thought was that I have no intention of using their horrible point-system to purchase games. I would consider it if there was an actual purchase option, but the point system is irritating and a ripoff (you always have to spend more than you want to get something).

Armed_Baboon
12-03-09, 04:45 PM
If MS pulls their head out of their ^$$ and release good games like ALAN WAKE, GEARS 2, HALO 3, FORZA 3, and the like on the GFW system, then I'm all for it. But M$ is making me very mad these days along with Nvidia and their proprietary BS named Physx.

And Yes I still own all Nvidia stuff "currently"

what makes you think ALan Wake will be a good game? From everything I have seen so far it looks pretty average.

Noriega
12-03-09, 05:18 PM
Games for Windows FAIL

candle_86
12-03-09, 05:36 PM
lol so MS games hmm so whats that Halo and Halo2, GFW is just a marketing thingy, and the devs retain the rights to use any distrabution they want lol

Ninjaman09
12-03-09, 05:36 PM
what makes you think ALan Wake will be a good game? From everything I have seen so far it looks pretty average.

You're not alone in thinking that. Nice to know I'm not crazy. :D

rudedog
12-03-09, 05:53 PM
yawn.....

Armed_Baboon
12-03-09, 07:58 PM
why do companies always feel like they need to package up these things into an all-encompassing strategy. Why do microsoft games need all this extra branding BS? It's only going to appeal to the most ignorant of buyers.

It's just another example of pandering to the masses of retards at the expense of the people with half a brain.

Sectus
12-03-09, 11:59 PM
It's insane how slow Microsoft has been with the Games for Windows program. If they had released something which was actually was similar to Steam several years ago (like in 2007 when they first released GFWL), it might actually have become something big. Not having IM support outside games, and not releasing any substantial marketplace until now is mindboggling. It's sad that they show so much support for the 360, but advance at a slow pace for PC.

I don't care much about buying retail games via GFWL (I can already do that via impulse and other services), but I really hope they'll start to push XBLA-like games via this service. That's something I would be VERY interested in. XBLA is the primary reason why I even bought a 360 in the first place.

And of course, it would be good if they actually develop firstparty stuff for Windows. But that doesn't seem to be much in their interests.

K-1
12-04-09, 12:24 AM
My other thought was that I have no intention of using their horrible point-system to purchase games. I would consider it if there was an actual purchase option, but the point system is irritating and a ripoff (you always have to spend more than you want to get something).

100% agree with that sentiment. I wanted to buy the Broken Steel DLC pack for Fallout 3, so I went on Live and saw that it cost 1200 points... and I could only purchase points in 1000 point increments... what the hell is that? :thumbdwn: Definitely won't be buying anything ever off of Live.

NarcissistZero
12-04-09, 12:29 AM
100% agree with that sentiment. I wanted to buy the Broken Steel DLC pack for Fallout 3, so I went on Live and saw that it cost 1200 points... and I could only purchase points in 1000 point increments... what the hell is that? :thumbdwn: Definitely won't be buying anything ever off of Live.

Actually it cost 800 and you can only buy in 500 increments, and you can buy 100 increments on Zune's free to access marketplace, but yeah, it is annoying.

I'm fine with supporting them for exclusives, like XBLA ports as Sectus mentions or the Fallout/GTA content. A PC port of Shadow Complex or even freaking Uno would be cool. If they want me to buy from GFWL with games that are also on Steam though they have a LOT of work ahead of them.

K-1
12-04-09, 12:39 AM
Actually it cost 800 and you can only buy in 500 increments, and you can buy 100 increments on Zune's free to access marketplace, but yeah, it is annoying.

I'm fine with supporting them for exclusives, like XBLA ports as Sectus mentions or the Fallout/GTA content. A PC port of Shadow Complex or even freaking Uno would be cool. If they want me to buy from GFWL with games that are also on Steam though they have a LOT of work ahead of them.

Ahh, got it. That was the first and last time I went on Live looking to purchase something, so I couldn't recall the exact values. Just remember being incredibly annoyed about having to buy fake money in fixed amounts :lol:. The Zune being able to buy 100 points at a time is nice (don't have one though), and Live should really offer the same. If I could just pay for the cost of the game itself, I'd be more receptive to purchasing off Live.

NarcissistZero
12-04-09, 01:02 AM
Ahh, got it. That was the first and last time I went on Live looking to purchase something, so I couldn't recall the exact values. Just remember being incredibly annoyed about having to buy fake money in fixed amounts :lol:. The Zune being able to buy 100 points at a time is nice (don't have one though), and Live should really offer the same. If I could just pay for the cost of the game itself, I'd be more receptive to purchasing off Live.

You don't need a Zune, just download the Zune client if you wish. Still SUPER annoying, don't get me wrong, just offering a better alternative.

K007
12-04-09, 02:00 AM
do we really want anymore halo games on the pc?..i rather keep those **** in the console than have it play like **** on the pc and of course..the answer from MS for the failure will be due to piracy.

Sectus
12-04-09, 02:29 AM
do we really want anymore halo games on the pc?..i rather keep those **** in the console than have it play like **** on the pc and of course..the answer from MS for the failure will be due to piracy.
Well, some people would like to play asterisks on PC. I personally don't like Halo very much (although coop is fun enough), but well, why not? It would play better on PC, and I'm sure there's a ton of people who would buy it as long as it's ported well.

NarcissistZero
12-04-09, 03:07 AM
Well, some people would like to play asterisks on PC. I personally don't like Halo very much (although coop is fun enough), but well, why not? It would play better on PC, and I'm sure there's a ton of people who would buy it as long as it's ported well.

Exactly... I never understood the "don't bother porting that crap" attitude. A lot of people like Halo, a lot of those people only play on PC or prefer to play on PC, hence PORT HALO. Pretty simple equation.

K007
12-04-09, 03:18 AM
Exactly... I never understood the "don't bother porting that crap" attitude. A lot of people like Halo, a lot of those people only play on PC or prefer to play on PC, hence PORT HALO. Pretty simple equation.

i played halo1, i saw nothing special. yet it was like another god to console players.

i have a hard time believing that a lot of people want halo3 on the pc, very hard time.

mw2 has shown me what kind expectation level console players have.

anyway not gonna waste time on the pc vs console crap. waste of time, what we say dont matter the final outcome, in the end developers go where the money is.

NarcissistZero
12-04-09, 03:38 AM
Halo was awesome, only BS PC elitism keeps some PC gamers from seeing that. Hell, Halo on the PC was awesome and had a huge player base.

Halo 2 not so much.

Sean_W
12-04-09, 05:01 AM
Microsoft don't have much interest because the Xbox is their baby. The Xbox is responsive for the slow declining PC sales and PC gaming.

Noriega
12-04-09, 05:13 AM
I want DLC for GTA IV on PC if not then this whole GFWL can GTFO.