PDA

View Full Version : SSD Prices All Jacked Up

Mr Bigman
12-03-09, 11:27 PM
I was looking at new SSD drives and they are like way jacked pu in price.

Don't they wanna sell these things?

I mean 800 bucks for a 256 gb drive?

I know their much cheaper drives out their but as of late ssd drives have gone up in price instead of down like all other technology has over the last 25 years like the VCR which was 1000 bucks at one time now their were 39 bucks t wal-mart.

So what happen? Are they just trying to sell these things to thwe elite pc user? Or are they not wurried about selling enough.

I want a ssd drive for a buck fifty that is atleast 100 gigs but sounds like thats years away.

ViN86
12-03-09, 11:30 PM
I was looking at new SSD drives and they are like way jacked pu in price.

Don't they wanna sell these things?

I mean 800 bucks for a 256 gb drive?

I know their much cheaper drives out their but as of late ssd drives have gone up in price instead of down like all other technology has over the last 25 years like the VCR which was 1000 bucks at one time now their were 39 bucks t wal-mart.

So what happen? Are they just trying to sell these things to thwe elite pc user? Or are they not wurried about selling enough.

I want a ssd drive for a buck fifty that is atleast 100 gigs but sounds like thats years away.

You think it's cheap to build a 200+GB flash drive? That's essentially what a SSD is...

Hard drives were extremely expensive when they emerged as well. With time, manufacturing costs drop and so will the price of the drives. But for now, they are only used by enthusiasts and systems that require those speeds (e.g. companies, where price means nothing, only performance does).

marqmajere
12-04-09, 12:13 AM
Memory modules have gone up in price. Last time I remember them jumping in price like this was about 10 years ago when the taiwan stock market crashed. $300 for a 128 meg stick.

nekrosoft13
12-04-09, 12:23 AM
Memory modules have gone up in price. Last time I remember them jumping in price like this was about 10 years ago when the taiwan stock market crashed. $300 for a 128 meg stick.

yap recently had to buy 4gb DDR2 set, payed about 90 bucks for it, early this year samething costed about 40

CaptNKILL
12-04-09, 12:35 AM
I remember looking through a PC Mall magazine back in the late '90s and seeing some kind of massive server box containing 1.4Tb of storage for around $40,000.

Now we're fussing about spending $800 for 256Gb of unbelievably fast storage that fits in the palm of your hand. :lol:

JasonPC
12-04-09, 01:39 AM
I believe the type of customers the drives attract are willing to pay the price for the most part and are happy with the product. They are probably a bargain compared to SCSI drives. They seem comparable to the Raptors in price when they were the big thing, but an even bigger performance increase.

Viral
12-04-09, 02:38 AM
More drives using the new Indilinx Eco controller that supports 34nm NAND flash should show up soon. Locally I can get a G.Skill Falcon II 128GB for under $400AUD, that's $60 less than the Falcon I and it supports TRIM out of the box.

Mr Bigman
12-04-09, 02:26 PM
You lucky devil.

Send me some and i will send you some protien.

hey Beavis, how you comeing along with your recovery?

Carbon Unit
12-04-09, 03:05 PM
I bought my Crucial M225 128gb SSD back in June for $275, nows its like $420? probably because the demand for SSD's is high

XDanger
12-04-09, 03:11 PM
it supports TRIM out of the box.

sweeet

methimpikehoses
12-04-09, 04:46 PM
Someday we'll have computers so small that they'll fit on your desktop. Until then, keep eating your crans.

Mr Bigman
12-04-09, 10:25 PM
I luv that one vim.

Sounds like your at top notch their wiggles.

Mr Bigman
12-04-09, 10:26 PM
So it means that ssd is going to be treated as if it was plane old ram up and down pricing?

I can't wait til they go the prices of standard sata drives.

Heinz68
12-09-09, 06:27 PM
OCZ: SSD and HDD prices to reach parity within five years
Tech3D (http://www.tech3d.net/2009/11/27/ocz-ssd-and-hdd-prices-to-reach-parity-within-five-years/)

Well I decided not to wait so long. :)

grey_1
12-09-09, 06:36 PM
OCZ: SSD and HDD prices to reach parity within five years
Tech3D (http://www.tech3d.net/2009/11/27/ocz-ssd-and-hdd-prices-to-reach-parity-within-five-years/)

Well I decided not to wait so long. :)

I bet it's closer to half that.

That could just be me being hopeful of course.

DiscipleDOC
12-10-09, 12:33 PM
I am trying my best to hold off on buying an SSD Drive right now. Not only are the prices ridiculously high, but the technology is still in the "beta" stage. I would love to have an 80gb SSD for my os HD, but I'm not going to buy one and then every week have to update the firmware.:thumbdwn:

Xion X2
12-10-09, 06:39 PM
but I'm not going to buy one and then every week have to update the firmware.:thumbdwn:

Huh?

Viral
12-10-09, 07:39 PM
Just buy one. Even my crappy jmicron controller drives in raid are soooo much better than a normal HDD. The stuttuering issues aren't very apparent with raid, so I was lucky there, but for $400AUD I'm considering a new 128GB G.Skill Falcon II.

Comes with Trim support for Win7, no need to upgrade firmware ever.

stjuart
12-10-09, 07:53 PM
I just purchased a intel ssd 80gig for $129 dollars, got to love the intel retail edge program. Also purchased a Intel I7 860 for $119.
might sell the drive just because its seems to small for me to make any use for it. My steam folder is over 200 gigs, i cant wait till 500 gig ssd drives become affordable.

Roliath
12-12-09, 01:26 AM
I am trying my best to hold off on buying an SSD Drive right now. Not only are the prices ridiculously high, but the technology is still in the "beta" stage. I would love to have an 80gb SSD for my os HD, but I'm not going to buy one and then every week have to update the firmware.:thumbdwn:

I understand what you mean, but until you take the leap omg. Its a completely new computing experience. Once you get over the initial shock of the price, I believe you'll eat your words when your using one.
I know I sure as hell did.
And now i'm trying to scout out a 160G2, or 250 vertex for my macbook; of course when I can get a "deal" on one. (400~500 for the 250)

edit: with paypal bing, I can get 8% back on a 250gb vertex for 600 shipped.
**** man! I want it!