PDA

View Full Version : Geforce ti4200 agp only works at 1x

glazed_look
07-01-03, 05:20 PM
The other day I decided to upgrade my graphics card to an fx5200. However after Several attempts to install it without success, and reading reviews of it..I decided to return it for a geforce4 ti4200. However, this card only runs sucessfully in 1x agp. Whenever 4x is enabled in bios nothing of a 3D nature runs at all, not even dxdiag. The system just freezes and goes black.

The motherboard I am using is a soyo sy-7vma-B, which i am pretty sure is agp pro compliant.

The card is an PNY geforce4 ti4200 128mb ddr agp 8x

That be the problems, Can any of you kind ladies and gents help meh. :o

Dazz
07-01-03, 05:40 PM
Yeah older VIA boards are flaky when usinf Geforce cards at AGP 4x. Nothing can be done except replacing the board. It's one of the reasons i never buy VIA based boards now. nVIDIA all the way now :)

glazed_look
07-01-03, 05:52 PM
Cheers
....Although choosing 2x isnt an option through bios, is there any programme available to choose it with, like an *ahem* ATI *ahem* driver that my friend has. Or am I fighting a loosing battle aiming for 2x on my current mobo.

Dazz
07-01-03, 05:55 PM
Hmmm i think you can change it with nVIDIA's driver but you will need the cool bits hack look out for this once the coolbits has been installed.

You can use this program to activate coolbits if you want http://content.guru3d.com/index.php?page=nvhardpage&menu=5

The Baron
07-01-03, 07:09 PM
you can install the Via drivers in Normal mode rather than Turbo mode, and it will run at 2x rather than 4x.

glazed_look
07-01-03, 07:20 PM
cheers dazz for the downloads, The agp slider only does 1x and 4x however. But still....at least I can over clock it now :afro:

I Just tried the driver install again, Baron, but i couldnt see an option for turbo and normal modes. Im using VIA hyperion4in1 1448v drivers. (should I be using different ones)

Thanks for the help so far tho :) anything further would be appreciated :)