PDA

View Full Version : What performance modes tested on FX cards?

jimmyjames123
07-01-03, 09:42 PM
I was wondering...in the latest round of tests on the FX cards...what performance modes are they using? There is still an option to switch between "High Performance", "Performance", and "Quality" modes in the FX control panel, correct?

In the FX 5900 Ultra review at Anandtech, Anand says that NVIDIA has improved their AF quality, and now the "performance" setting does a much better job stacking up to the competition with the Detonator FX drivers.

I would think that the use of different performance modes would make things difficult to compare across reviews. In many of the reviews I have read, I don't even recall reading anything about these different options.

bkswaney
07-01-03, 09:51 PM
Most all test are done under Quality mode.
Also the IQ on both cards seem to be close in
most all areas.

StealthHawk
07-02-03, 03:35 AM
Most early reviews were using "Performance" or "High Performance" modes(of course they weren't called that at the time). Thankfully, almost all reviewers have come to their senses and switched over to Application/Quality because otherwise IQ is degraded.

Greg
07-02-03, 07:38 AM
There have been one or two articles that try to describe the actual or apparent changes these modes make. In my tests with and FX5800, the benchmark performance between the 3 modes (well the 2 end extremes anyway) was negligable. However, I noticed that the High Performance appears to merely disable trilinear filtering when it is enabled in games/benchmarks. That is probably why the option doesn't effect performance much... because trilinear filtering is usually not enabled in games and benchmarks by default anyway.

StealthHawk
07-02-03, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Greg
That is probably why the option doesn't effect performance much... because trilinear filtering is usually not enabled in games and benchmarks by default anyway.

What the hell? What is the last game you played that didn't have trilinear filtering on by default? I think the last game I played that didn't have trilinear on by default(but supported it) was Counter-Strike, which is old. Similarly, 3dmark2001 uses bilinear by default, but I'm pretty sure 3dmark03 uses trilinear.

God, I hope games/benchmarks of today(or last year) weren't using ugly bilinear :mad: Especially since we've had video cards capable of almost free trilinear for a few years.