PDA

View Full Version : new Noctua CPU cooler

methimpikehoses
12-10-09, 06:00 PM
looks interesting...

http://www.techreport.com/gallery/img.x?sz=gallery_full&id=39879

The Austrian company has introduced a new downward-facing heatsink that can cool the majority of modern Intel and AMD desktop processors using six heat pipes, aluminum fins, and a single, massive 140-mm fan. Surprisingly, Noctua trumpets the cooler's "excellent motherboard and case compatibility."

The NH-C12P SE14 will be available "shortly" with a recommended retail price of $69.90, Noctua says. Not cheap, but then again, the company does provide six years of warranty coverage.

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/18117

grey_1
12-10-09, 07:00 PM
That fan will provide some good airflow for the chipset. I've been holding off on a lot lately, but I may have to keep an eye on this one.

Redeemed
12-10-09, 07:28 PM
Can't see it as pics are disabled here (:( ), but from the sound of it that might be the cooler I get for my i7. :) Really wanting to OC this chip but would prefer not doing so with the stock cooler. :p

methimpikehoses
12-10-09, 07:29 PM
Only issue I see is if you case is already warm inside, then this seems to just push warm air onto the chipset. With a tower you can orient it to "go with the flow" of the case fans, but not so much here.

grey_1
12-10-09, 07:33 PM
Only issue I see is if you case is already warm inside, then this seems to just push warm air onto the chipset. With a tower you can orient it to "go with the flow" of the case fans, but not so much here.

I had a TT Bigtyphoon for a while and that did a great job of cooling. It was just hard to trust the clip attach system it had . The interior of the case only changed by 1 or 2c. With good airflow I'm betting this will be a non issue with this cooler.

Viral
12-10-09, 07:35 PM
I've been getting more interested in downward facing Heatsinks since having clearance issues with my Ultra 120. The Noctua is pretty expensive even if it does come with a fan, I'd have to see reviews to see if it's worth it.

The very large Scythe Kabuto is a cheaper 140mm option that competes with tower heat sinks very well.

http://www.pcsilent.de/ppic-MAXI-Scythe-Kabuto-CPU-Kuehler-Intel-AMD-Opteron-Sempron-Athlon64-Pentium-4-775-Kuehler-scykabuto.jpg

But I'm pretty interested in the Scythe Kama Grand Cross, which eliminates the dead spot of the fan motor by having two sets of diagonally aligned fins with heatpipes.

http://www.pcmasters.de/fileadmin/news/Scythe/Scythe_KamaCross_01.jpg

Redeemed
12-10-09, 07:58 PM
I had a TT Bigtyphoon for a while and that did a great job of cooling. It was just hard to trust the clip attach system it had . The interior of the case only changed by 1 or 2c. With good airflow I'm betting this will be a non issue with this cooler.

I have the same cooler on my parents' FX-60... works like a charm.

Definitely keeping an eye on this cooler. :)

betterdan
12-10-09, 08:16 PM
You seem to be experienced about blowing hot air around. ;)

:lol: just kidding, that's exactly what I was thinking when I saw it.

grey_1
12-11-09, 07:21 AM
If benchmarks show the same balance between cooling and noise levels that the rest of the Noctua line has I just may get this one. One of the main reasons I've been case shopping is quieting my rig down. I was going to go with a TR 120, but would like to stick with a mid tower case.

I'll post about it if I get it.

betterdan
12-11-09, 07:40 AM
Wait Grey, I thought you wanted to go for a full tower. :confused:

You can easily fit a TR 120 or similar in the mid tower HAF 922 if that concerns you.

grey_1
12-11-09, 07:45 AM
Wait Grey, I thought you wanted to go for a full tower. :confused:

You can easily fit a TR 120 or similar in the mid tower HAF 922 if that concerns you.

The main reason for the full tower is room. I really want a silent, air-cooled rig and am not quite as concerned about temps if they stay well within limits.

I was reading on...I think it was silentpc.com last night and there was an article speculating that a smaller case may actually cool better with the HUGE type heatsinks. So I'm going to research that more. If it looks like that may be the case (good pun eh? :p) I may just stick with my Antec 300 and remove the drive cage.

DiscipleDOC
12-11-09, 09:09 AM
What's with the gay pink fan?

betterdan
12-11-09, 10:22 AM
pink fan? You better get your monitor calibrated, that's a light brown fan. :lol:

grey_1
12-11-09, 11:15 AM
What's with the gay pink fan?

:lol:

eyeball_fail

DiscipleDOC
12-11-09, 11:19 AM

eyeball_fail

:bleh:

looks interesting...

http://www.techreport.com/gallery/img.x?sz=gallery_full&id=39879

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/18117

That's not pink?

betterdan
12-11-09, 11:29 AM

That's not pink?

uhhh no :rofl

DiscipleDOC
12-11-09, 11:30 AM
What color is that atrocious thing?

grey_1
12-11-09, 11:33 AM
What color is that atrocious thing?

:lol: You awesome :lol:

beige housing, brown fan.

Don't be racissss DD :D

Redeemed
12-11-09, 11:41 AM

That's not pink?

Well, the fan itself looks brown, while the housing looks more of a tan-cream color... not quite pink though.

DiscipleDOC
12-11-09, 11:51 AM
:lol: You awesome :lol:

beige housing, brown fan.

Don't be racissss DD :D

I don't see that as brown...I see that thing as pink. Even still, I think that is still a gay color for a fan. It should be black!

:afro:

DiscipleDOC
12-11-09, 11:52 AM
Well, the fan itself looks brown, while the housing looks more of a tan-cream color... not quite pink though.

ah...tan/pink.....I still see this a being a gay color for a fan. (gay)

grey_1
12-11-09, 12:08 PM

I don't see that as brown...I see that thing as pink. Even still, I think that is still a gay color for a fan. It should be black!

:afro:
They are ugly - I guess they wanted to pick a scheme that no one else would touch, unique.

But reviews plug them as excellent fans.

methimpikehoses
12-11-09, 12:16 PM
They are damn ugly, IMO. If not pink then damn close.

Not something you want in a windowed case.